External USB storage as NAS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware
smitty16
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 14:07    Post subject: External USB storage as NAS Reply with quote
Hello Community,

1st my issue in general:

I attached an external USB storage (NTFS) to my router to use it as a NAS within my Windows LAN but I only can get read access to the apropriate samba share and can not write to it Sad . When I try to save files there I only get a message window telling that I need permissions. Connected to a PC there is no problem at all.

In detail:
My router is a Netgear R7800 with DD-WRT v.3.0 Kong installed and the usb storage I’m talking about is a Lian Li Ex503 RAID enclosure with 5 hdds in a RAID5 cluster. The RAID logic resides on a controller within the enclosure. To the host it’s only an external usb hdd. I configured the drive in DD-WRT in the usual way as discribed at several web sites. Another simple external hdd (also NTFS) set in DD-WRT the same way works well instead. There is a very large partition at the RAID (14TB) but even when I put a smaller Partition there (<3TB as on the simple external drive) I can not write to it.

can you give hints to solve the problem and gain write access to the drive?

PS.: please don’t ask why I want to do this or tell me that a RAID is not a backup or something like that. That’s not the issue. I only wanna get write access to the drive. Thank you very much.

regards
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
This router is supported in the Atheros Forum.
smitty16
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
@rootwilliamson

thank you very much for your Input and sorry for my late response. I didn't realize your input to my Question. I solved my issue by setting up the partitions of the usb drive in ext4 format and set samba shares. In windows I installed a lttle tool so I can read/write to ext4 as well when connected directly to my pc by usb.

regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: