High pitch noise while 5ghz wifi is active

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
the_dog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:59    Post subject: High pitch noise while 5ghz wifi is active Reply with quote
EDIT: Even on the latest build, the high pitch noise still is present when the 5ghz radio is up for a few hours. I ended up flashing OpenWRT and no more noise after 24h.

---

TDLR: If you are using a WRT1900AC and the noise is bothering you, try another dd-wrt build. In my case switching from 31924 to 41328 made the router virtually silent from accross the room. Smile

---

I have a Linksys WRT1900ACv1 that I always used with dd-wrt. For a long time I stayed on Kong's build 31924, which was the most recommended firmware at the time and was indeed very stable.

The router was sitting in a basement but is now in the same room I work, and can easily hear a high pitch noise if the 5ghz radio is on. It actually alternates between a mid-pitch to a high-pitch noise every 5 seconds or so.

I was about to sell the router and get a new one and was surprised to see that by reverting to stock firmware, the noise disappeared!

I then tried Kong's 31924 again on factory settings. The issue came back after a little while so its obviously related to dd-wrt.

Since I need custom firmware for some features (QoS, PPTP, WDS), I would not accept reverting back to stock for good, so I tried the last dd-wrt build available (41328) and surprise, no more noise!

The new firmware looks stable for me (up 12h), let's hope its as stable as the legendary 31924.

Cheers!

Last edited by the_dog on Thu Oct 24, 2019 17:39; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:49    Post subject: Re: [FIXED] High pitch noise while 5ghz wifi is active Reply with quote
the_dog wrote:
TDLR: If you are using a WRT1900AC and the noise is bothering you, try another dd-wrt build. In my case switching from 31924 to 41328 made the router virtually silent from accross the room. Smile

---

I have a Linksys WRT1900ACv1 that I always used with dd-wrt. For a long time I stayed on Kong's build 31924, which was the most recommended firmware at the time and was indeed very stable.

The router was sitting in a basement but is now in the same room I work, and can easily hear a high pitch noise if the 5ghz radio is on. It actually alternates between a mid-pitch to a high-pitch noise every 5 seconds or so.

I was about to sell the router and get a new one and was surprised to see that by reverting to stock firmware, the noise disappeared!

I then tried Kong's 31924 again on factory settings. The issue came back after a little while so its obviously related to dd-wrt.

Since I need custom firmware for some features (QoS, PPTP, WDS), I would not accept reverting back to stock for good, so I tried the last dd-wrt build available (41328) and surprise, no more noise!

The new firmware looks stable for me (up 12h), let's hope its as stable as the legendary 31924.

Cheers!

My modem makes little chirpy noises when I'm downloading. It makes me happy because I know I'm using my bandwidth.
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
you do know there's a fan in there that might be bad?
NAS: Iomega ix2-200 CE 4tb, Seagate 1tb usb drive
Wash your hands and DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
gallo wrote:

This is a sensible point. Could just be better thermal management on later builds / kernels.
the_dog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
ttowling wrote:
gallo wrote:

This is a sensible point. Could just be better thermal management on later builds / kernels.

I know there is a fan in there, it only runs during the boot process and then never runs in my case. I'm also not talking about the little chirping noise while a radio is under load. The sound I hear is a high pitch sound, alternating frequencies every 5 seconds or so, similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX7Ar3Z-oTo

Maybe most people can't hear it but I have very sensible ears Smile I'm positive its related to dd-wrt since flashing back the stock firmware or the latest build of OpenWRT makes the 5ghz radio silent.

I ended up learning to use OpenWRT to get my features back, but would rather stick to dd-wrt for the ease of use. I tried different Wifi settings but it doesn't seem to change the behavior. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
the_dog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe you are right, but one thing for sure: It is now silent since I switched to OpenWRT/LEDE. With dd-wrt, I eventually get the high pitch noise, even on factory settings, after about an hour of being powered on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: