EA6500 Version 2 Broadcom JTAG Help Wanted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
infringe12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:40    Post subject: EA6500 Version 2 Broadcom JTAG Help Wanted Reply with quote
Question Trying to be as in depth as possible here and not hijack another thread as I'm having troubles locating the correct information for Version 2.
Router:
Info from: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_EA6500_v2
EA6500 Version 2 Info
Linksys EA6500 v2
Availability: now

Manuf/OEM/ODM Wistron NeWeb

FCC approval date: 10 July 2013
UPC: 745883596027 (UPC DB, On eBay)
Country of manuf.: China

Amazon image

ASIN
B008I21EA2 (Flag of the United States.svg, On Amazon, On CCC, multiple uses)
multiple revisions of this device, use caution

Type: wireless router

FCC ID: Q87-EA6500V2
Industry Canada ID: 3839A-EA6500V2

Power: 12 VDC, 3.5 A
Connector type: barrel

CPU1: Broadcom BCM4708A0 (800 MHz, 2 cores)
FLA1: 128 MiB (Spansion Model?)
RAM1: 256 MiB (Hynix Model?)
Expansion IFs: USB 3.0, USB 2.0
USB ports: 2

WI1 chip1: Broadcom BCM4360
WI1 802dot11 protocols: an+ac
WI1 MIMO config: 3x3:3
WI1 antenna connector: U.FL
WI2 chip1: Broadcom BCM4331
WI2 802dot11 protocols: bgn
WI2 MIMO config: 3x3:3
WI2 antenna connector: none

ETH chip1: Broadcom BCM4708A0
Switch: Broadcom BCM4708A0
LAN speed: 1G
LAN ports: 4
WAN speed: 1G
WAN ports: 1

abgn+ac

Additional chips
2.4GHz Power Amplifier IC;Skyworks;SE2605L;SiGe, 2605L, 232HL;3;
5GHz Power Amplifier IC;Skyworks;SE5003L1;5003L1, 232FE, 3222 HT;3;

Stock bootloader: CFE

Stock FW OS: Linux

Third party firmware supported: FreshTomato-ARM, Tomato (Toastman) • (List), Tomato (Shibby) • (DLs) • (List), DD-WRT • (List)

Default IP address: 192.168.1.1
the IP 192.168.1.1 is used by 1173 additional devices
of which 146 are Linksys devices
Default login user: admin
Default login password: admin
admin:admin credentials used by 1209 additional devices
of which 58 are Linksys devices

802dot11 OUI: none specified

Tools:
I have and zjtag I also have USB to TTL programmer. Newest Iron I love is the ryobi battery powered hybrid electric iron thing works like my expensive iron and I don't need a cord. Many other tools at my disposal. Pin headers as well as disconnects to make this job easy.

Problem:
I mucked up the CFE using a hex editor on my bin gradeschool mistake while editing the CFE so it would not have issues when using DDWRT. Following this guide the user posted 00h to FFh and he listed it all counting out. So I assumed that is what he wanted at those addresses unknown to me that was showing people who didn't know how to count hex how to add 2 to it and add 4 to it. Quite the deal after I figured out what I had did it was rather obvious the course of action that is required. So I look for info and its pretty sparse if out there at all.

Help Wanted:
Information on wiring JTAG or TTL pinout/diagram and if your really willing a good safe approach or method to figuring this out on my own would be great.
Information on writing the CFE software side.
Currently Windows OS being used.

Established Known Facts:
This router is cheap used and likely is not worth the effort and time to most people at the time of posting.
My punctuation is horrible sorry!
Sometimes am a little too inclusive which results in TL:DR type responses again sorry for wasting your time if you don't have it don't read it my intention is to be as inclusive as possible not waste your time.

Rebuttal to known facts:
It is not about the money the time it is about the experience and the knowledge as well as the challenge of doing this type of mod correctly as a learning experience more than anything and if I don't having the ability to take the proper corrective actions in my case I run several wireless AP's with distributed loads for my home to allow full coverage of my yard and out buildings I prefer the router be decent yet cheap thus I tend to stick with the EA6500 v1 & V2 because it has proven to be that for me everything functioning as a wireless client requires wireless N spec at 2.4 ghz with the exception of possibly phones and tablets. Some routers operate in uncontrolled spaces where the temperature/humidity it is outside is what it is or hotter in the summer so failure is of a high chance. I have contemplated upgrading and using MCGchem silicone like I do to make other things weather proof and with a couple of years running it is almost cost prohibitive in my case.

Questions on where to make this request:
Finally is there anywhere I can make a request to Brainslayer or the Devs? The request type would be for an option to include a personal name in the MAC ID listing of an item in the wireless filter and static IP table for MAC ID. Something akin to what tomato has. It is royally helpful when dealing with over 40 devices at your home to have nicknames. Better than having to xref through a notepad++ listing.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_EA6500_V1#Recovering_via_JTAG.2Fserial_.28hard_brick.3B_corrupt_CFE.29

https://www.tiaowiki.com/w/Debrick_Wireless_Router_Using_TUMPA_and_zJTAG

https://www.tiaowiki.com/w/Debrick_Routers_Using_JTAG_Cable#Locate_the_JTAG_Pins.2FPads_on_the_Router

That's about the only information I could find off the tips of my fingers. There wasn't any thread specific to this router already?
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it is the MAC address which is the problem then you can configure ethernet/MAC address if you can get to the CFE with USB serial, see: https://embedded-xinu.readthedocs.io/en/latest/mips/Common-Firmware-Environment.html

Then it is just a matter of flashing a new CFE.

There must be a thread or a wiki about the EA6500, I have done a lot of work in the past on the comparable EA6900 see my signature at the bottom of this post.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
infringe12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
EA6500 V1 yes but the V2 is different hardware at least by number I never like to assume just because its broadcom and the numbers are close I don't think its wise to just assume these things as far as posts go.

I've found several posts about V1 yes. It is possible that I missed something to err is human I'd gladly be happy if you share a link or information otherwise.

Thank you guys though for the response I highly respect you all for taking a minute out of your day to help it's not a thing.

I am new to Jtag of routers essentially I'd love to figure it all out I've used jtag software and DB25 cables over a decade ago for other electronics but its been so long and I think there were programs specific for it as well.

But man that was some time ago so I have purchased this board in case I would need it some time ago Zjtag haven't required it until this point oddly enough so I guess its time to get learning.

Are the two routers v1 and v2 essentially the same for JTAG?

How would a person know do I need a scope or something to get this information I'd love to learn and figure out or are there datasheets leaked or available?

It is a curious thing I'd rather not waste anyone's time with such questions and just know to a degree. But hey I'll settle for less if need be.

Is this MIPS or ARM the Version 2 I mean?

I've seen several posts calling it ARM but IDK... https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/fork-freshtomato-arm.74117/

I really can't say this is a large reason why I wonder if I can just assume its the same process.
infringe12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 0:12    Post subject: EA6500 Version 2 Broadcom JTAG Help Wanted Reply with quote
No what I need is the information to use tumpa jtag for the ea6500v2 I see many people calling this unit an "ARM based router" others swear it is a MIPS based router I really don't know for sure. I know the board looks nothing like the version 1 to be honest.

There is no where after lots of searching that I have been able to find a Jtag pinout.

I see a header area that has 20 holes without pins labeled JP1.

There are 3 10 holes without headers without pins labled J4 J3 and BJ9

There is a 6 pin plugin header already soldered on just sitting there with nothing plugged into it J6

There is a 3 hole header without pins under the heatsink labeled J17

There is finally a 2 hole header without pins labeled EJ5

I for sure need to flash via JTAG but the information on how to do this the pin outs for the JTAG etc are lacking in the public space.

Surely this isn't impossible information to share but with mixed information I'd hate to guess at it and wind up ruining the flash or something along that line.

Finally do I need to use JTAG (Tumpa) or is a usb to TTL sufficent for the task?
infringe12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just learned that this router is Arm based any way that a mod could transfer this over to the ARM based router forum so I don't have to double post this ?
lilroud
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been searching endlessly for this also. I have been using DDWRT on a few WRT54s over the years and I got this router with a signature check firmware. Trying to find out the pinout also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: