R7800 Client Bridge Kong vs Bs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
AsX
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 14:14    Post subject: R7800 Client Bridge Kong vs Bs Reply with quote
Have two R7800s, main Gateway and secondary configured as routed Client Bridge on eth1 (2.4GHz). About 100 meters apart via some trees, plus routers are inside so they are both behind walls. Both had Kong build, and connection at the remote router was OK giving me around stable 30 Mbps, which was enough for the purpose.
Then I decided to give BS build a try and installed it on the Client Bride router (main router is still running Kong.)
Did reset and configured everything exactly the same way as before (wifi, radio options, etc.)
Now getting only 0.5 Mbps and even that unstable, no matter what I do.
What gives? Something must be configured differently, but what?
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 14:29    Post subject: Re: R7800 Client Bridge Kong vs Bs Reply with quote
AsX wrote:
Have two R7800s, main Gateway and secondary configured as routed Client Bridge on eth1 (2.4GHz). About 100 meters apart via some trees, plus routers are inside so they are both behind walls. Both had Kong build, and connection at the remote router was OK giving me around stable 30 Mbps, which was enough for the purpose.
Then I decided to give BS build a try and installed it on the Client Bride router (main router is still running Kong.)
Did reset and configured everything exactly the same way as before (wifi, radio options, etc.)
Now getting only 0.5 Mbps and even that unstable, no matter what I do.
What gives? Something must be configured differently, but what?

There have been several driver changes recently and a TON of qos settings have been tweaked. You never mentioned what build versions you are running, but more than likely it's a compatibility issue between builds and the drivers they are using. I recall at least 1 driver update recently that affects the QCA 99xx series chipset. I would make sure both routers are running on the same build before trying to trouble shoot anything.

Regrettably this means you will need to reset all settings and re-enter everything on both routers.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
AsX
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gateway is running Kong 39705, Client Bridge is latest BS.
All QOS and related setting should be irrelevant for the Client Bridge, everything is disabled and there is no WAN.
Chipset drivers may be an issue, but I'm afraid to put BS build on the main gateway router now. I'll probably just go back to Kong on the client bridge and stay on it forever.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have BS on main router and <Kong> on remote using WDS setup. Both are r7800 and work great.

I would give that a try.

From this post
BrainSlayer wrote:
if you want to get good performance. never use client bridge. client bridge is not a real bridge. this is only possible with wds sta (if the ap is wds ap configured)
the bridge behaviour which is simultated causes mac address issue if you use multiple ethernet devices and it also increases cpu load. so avoid it in all cases and use the better performing wds sta mode or simply use standard client mode

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

AsX
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I cannot use WDS as I have couple of R7000 routers connected to the same gateway as Repeater Bridges and Atheros and Broadcom WDS are really not compatible. I have 4 repeater routers (some Atheros, some Broadcom) covering pretty big area with internet over WiFi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: