R7800 Drops iOS Wireles Connections When Screen is Off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
poondoggle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:27    Post subject: R7800 Drops iOS Wireles Connections When Screen is Off Reply with quote
Hi All,

I recently switched from the stock NetGear firmware to KONG’s build of DD-WRT and I’m finding that my wireless connections go down after a short time of my device’s screen is off. When I wake up the device it will connect after a few seconds, but I would like it to remain connected all the time.

This issue never occurred until I switched to this firmware, so I’m sure it’s just a setting I’ve missed, but I’ve searched the forums and internet at large and haven’t found anything that has helped. Any ideas what may be causing this?

TIA!
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
u gave no info on the devices.. model? ios version? jailbreak? this house of ios devices has 0 issues with them, if anything the LEAST wifi issues are with ios devices.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

poondoggle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
u gave no info on the devices.. model? ios version? jailbreak? this house of ios devices has 0 issues with them, if anything the LEAST wifi issues are with ios devices.

iPhone 10XS Max running 12.4.1 no jailbreak.
iPad Air 3rd Gen running GM iOS 13.

Both connected to NetGear R7800 running firmware DD-WRT v3.0-r40559 std (08/06/19). Was running KONG earlier today but both exhibit the same issue.

The issue never occurred with stock firmware. Now if I close the cover on my iPad or turn off the screen on my phone for a few minutes, the WiFi will either be off on the device and then appear, or it will be there and then disappear and reappear.

I should add I’m connecting to 5Ghz network.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
none here do that, settings of the 5ghz interface(a screenshot of them with advanced check box selected works best), and does it happen on 2.4ghz?

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

poondoggle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
none here do that, settings of the 5ghz interface(a screenshot of them with advanced check box selected works best), and does it happen on 2.4ghz?

Here are the screenshots:

[img] https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6sy0o7wutkquol/5Ghz_1.jpg?dl=0[/img]
[img] https://www.dropbox.com/s/pt0uqh28zj9wric/5Ghz_2.PNG?dl=0[/img]

I just tested it on 2.4 GHz. It drops out as well.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
poondoggle wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:

I would take a look at my recommended wifi settings in my signature. I see several things wrong. Make sure to read some of the posts following my pictures too for things to try if your devices are still having issues with the recommended settings in the pictures.

Your new iphone should be able to use HT80 mode...

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)

Last edited by msoengineer on Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:33; edited 2 times in total
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
poondoggle wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:

noise immunity: enable
short preamble: enable
single/multi user beamforming: enable
beacon interval: 75
dtim: 2 or 4
ack timing: 450 or 0 (must reboot after setting to 0 to disable it)

for the 2.4ghz, i already see an issue with it, dont use n-only, our version of it (implemented poorly) causes many problems, use ng-mixed or mixed if u have 802.11b devices

make sure the security is set to wpa2 personal with aes on both, or wpa/wpa2 personal with aes. do not check tkip, gcmp is fine as well, as long as its 128 not 256. management frame protection disabled (wpa2+mfp = wpa3). it breaks fast roaming if u use that, and even if not, some devices cant connect even if mfp is on auto as our implementation is broken.

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:

So on Atheros and Ack timing... 0=Auto detect and not disable. 0=disabled on Broadcom devices.

That said, ACK=0 on 5ghz=450meters for QCA9984. That is rather short even if it's 5ghz and has poor distance abilities... I suggest 3600 or 4050...BS said that setting this too high won't have a detrimental effect on speed, but too short can be bad. While 450 should be fine, I am playing it safe with 3600. Also, BS said it doesn't have to be 450m increments on atheros.... just to muck things up more...

Also, never use multiuser beamforming...it messes up MCS speeds and makes things connect at lower rates. SU-MIMO is fine.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800] resting
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:

So on Atheros and Ack timing... 0=Auto detect and not disable. 0=disabled Also, never use multiuser beamforming...it messes up MCS speeds and makes things connect at lower rates.

only for ath9k its auto detect now, for ath10k it still disables it, r7800 is ath10k only. BS says lots of things, test ack timing at something between 450 and 900, its going to either go to 450 or 900, nothing in between. it wants 450 intervals, only the old madwifi many years ago actually did whatever u entered. ath10k lower ack timings were fixed, used to be full of issues under 1350 but not anymore. higher than needed absolutely ruins performance and latency, increase to higher numbers then compare to 450, try 15000 or something, difference is massive. r7800/ipq806x isnt exactly known for best latency as it is.

mu-mimo is fine, thats crap some reviews said at the launch of mu-mimo supporting radios, when manufacturer and radio firmware were young, and thats only to devices supporting it those that dont, it does nothing. some samsung phone i think was used in a old review, we had that same phone here later that they used, zero issues with mu-mimo. since having a mu-mimo radio, 0 issues were caused cause of that setting (and we been though a lot of issues).

is my 2 cents

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Last edited by tatsuya46 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:19; edited 2 times in total
poondoggle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips guys. I believe it is still happening but will need to do more testing to see if it is less frequent after the changes. I will post an update tomorrow.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
mu-mimo is fine, thats crap some reviews said at the launch of mu-mimo supporting radios, when manufacturer and radio firmware were young, and thats only to devices supporting it those that dont, it does nothing. some samsung phone i think was used in a old review, we had that same phone here later that they used, zero issues with mu-mimo. since having a mu-mimo radio, 0 issues were caused cause of that setting (and we been though a lot of issues).

is my 2 cents

Sorry Tatsuya, but I am throwing you under the bus on MU-MIMO....EVEN ON RECENT BUILDS (Mine is Alpha 40999)...It most certainly fucks MCS connection rates when you have broadcom chipsets connecting to QCA chipsets(on the router). The bug is documented in the link in my signature, but TL:DR is that MU-MIMO will force the broadcom CLIENT radio to only 1x1 stream. This is most certainly not desirable.... The pictures below are my empirical evidence (Galaxy S7 with broadcom wifi chipset).

DO NOT USE MU-MIMO IN A MIXED CLIENT CHIPSET ENVIRONMENT

SmallNetworkBuilders wrote:
Another little secret widely known by industry insiders, but by few consumers, is that Broadcom's 2x2 MU-MIMO client-side devices fall back to 1x1 mode when connected to a MU-MIMO enabled router. This happens with both Qualcomm and Broadcom-based routers; the problem is on the client side.

Nearly all iOS devices use broadcom chipsets, so you're F'd if you use MU-MIMO and will be limted to 1x1 streams on your 2x2 (or better) wifi card in your iOS device. (One of the latter iPhones used Intel chips for everything-that was the antenna-gate debacle)

Must be logged in to see pictures below:

[R7800] resting
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
u are just reciting the reviewers.. how about they update their review for current firmwares, cant stand those who review something once then leave it, like a router that has radio and manuf firmwares change tons of times, and device versions.

we have that same phone here, stuffed somewhere, no, does not happen to with mu-mimo enabled, not happening or ever did, to any other device. my laptop has a broadcom 2x2 in it as well, it comfortably holds its 866M rates, iphone xs max, 7, 6s, plethora of ipads all holding their proper rates.

seems more like broadcom radios might have a problem with THEIR mu-mimo, dont have one anymore, dont know, i hate broadcom for other reasons (but add this to the list).

anyway, at least have single user beamforming on, thats agreed on..

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
u are just reciting the reviewers.. how about they update their review for current firmwares, cant stand those who review something once then leave it, like a router that has radio and manuf firmwares change tons of times, and device versions.

I agree they should update based on firmware or even try loading 3rd party firmware like dd-wrt to show differences...That said, my pictures clearly prove, on a S7 anyway, that it will revert to 1x1 operation when the router has MU-MIMO enabled....How can you dispute actual picture proof?!!!!

tatsuya46 wrote:
we have that same phone here, stuffed somewhere, no, does not happen to with mu-mimo enabled, not happening or ever did, to any other device. my laptop has a broadcom 2x2 in it as well, it comfortably holds its 866M rates, iphone xs max, 7, 6s, plethora of ipads all holding their proper rates.

First, that's because you're on 5ghz and not 2.4ghz (setup a separate SSID on 2.4ghz and check again). On 2.4ghz with mu-mimo turned on...my galaxy S7 certainly didn't/hasn't had the client driver fixed.... I would double check things again on your broadcom clients (and specify if they are iOS, windows, linux) I can't easily update client drivers on an android device without rooting the phone....not interested and not for novices or casual users...same for iPhones...

PC's/Mac's are a different story and may likely have had a "patch" applied to the driver to overcome the MU-MIMO issue....I don't actively have a mac to confirm this fact anymore, but I seem to recall when repairing my in-laws mac I observed the same issue on their 2015ish macbook air. All my other laptops are using Intel so I have no other known broadcom clients I can test this issue on. I just know it was affecting my S7 and I turned off mu-mimo.

tatsuya46 wrote:

seems more like broadcom radios might have a problem with THEIR mu-mimo, dont have one anymore, dont know, i hate broadcom for other reasons (but add this to the list).
anyway, at least have single user beamforming on, thats agreed on..

Broadcom for sure has issues with their MU-MIMO... QCA has their shit together (more so)... That said, unless you have a 3x3 or 4x4 router and 3x3 or 4x4 client radio (rare desktop client cards), mu-mimo doesn't go into affect on 1x1 or 2x2 clients...so it's absolutely useless....which is nearly all phones and tablets (1x1 or 2x2 stream)... This is why mu-mimo was pure marketing bullshit to lure non-informed consumers into buying the latest and greatest stuff that has mu-mimo.

[R7800] resting
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
...That said, my pictures clearly prove, on a S7 anyway, that it will revert to 1x1 operation when the router has MU-MIMO enabled....How can you dispute actual picture proof?!!!!

just to confirm...I went back and checked both 2.4 and 5ghz and both exhibit the same issue...5ghz got limited to 1x1 stream. I'll spare everyone the pictures...but mu-mimo did slow my S7 to 433 vs 866 on 5ghz= 1x1 stream vs. 2x2 stream.

[R7800] resting
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
no devices in this house have or ever had any rate problems caused my mu-mimo, broadcom or not, regardless of frequency. mu-mimo doesnt do anything on 2.4ghz its not a 2.4ghz feature. magically getting it to do something on there, i would expect problems. their review is most likely with stock firmware, which most of us here dont use hence why we are here, stock firmware could of been or still is, breaking wifi spec with broken features, dont know. what im saying about mu-mimo is based on what the feature does at present, here, not stock firmware. my desktop has a 3x3 broadcom nic in it, as terrible as that nic is, it has no issues from mu-mimo either..

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: