All devices except w10 can connect (wifi + wired)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
mmfood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good to know, I have changed to NG-mixed and AC/N-mixed and chosen specific channels.

However, as I have the same issue with the wired connection, the wireless settings can not be the sole cause of my problems.

Edit:
I updated to v3.0-r40932 (09/07/19), still the same. Maybe I should have tried an earlier version?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wired -and- wireless, Windows 10 won't connect? Now that is odd. I think maybe for giggles, I would try turning off the Windows firewall completely and testing, but I am really scratching my head on this one, unless your network adapters' configs are screwy. I see no reason for this to be so broken, considering people have reported successful flashes to R7000 in the forums. If everything but Windows is connecting fine, I also wouldn't suspect hardware failure in the router. Something is definitely wrong, though.

You can try to roll back to the suggested Kong build, and do an nvram reset to defaults before and after flashing, and again just to be sure and start with the default settings, changing only the wireless settings. If neither wireless nor wired can connect on Win10, then the problem may not be DD-WRT, you may need to do a complete network reset in Win10. You could try that reset first to see if it will work, but at this point, I am at a total loss, because I haven't had issues of this magnitude with DD-WRT and Win10 at all. Shocked
mmfood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I would try turning off the Windows firewall completely and testing, but I am really scratching my head on this one, unless your network adapters' configs are screwy.

Yes, this is indeed a head scratcher. But I do the following observations:

1. Every other, non win10 device can connect to DD-WRT both on wired and wireless.

2. The win10 devices have no problems connecting to other routers / AP's / hotspots.

3. The win10 devices can connect to DD-WRT when using a static IP.

This all seems to point to some kind of communication problem between my win10 DHCP client my DD-WRT DHCP server. But I don't know how to troubleshoot such things.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
You can try to roll back to the suggested Kong build, and do an nvram reset to defaults before and after flashing

Yes, I think I'll try that next.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
you may need to do a complete network reset in Win10

How do I do that? I have done the things mentioned here https://windowsreport.com/wi-fi-valid-ip-configuration-windows-10/
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
On WIn10, lon taskbar, settings, network and internet, there should be a network reset link towards the bottom of the window. That pretty much resets all network settings, if I am not mistaken.

Before or after you do that, though, if you have anything set on any adapters outside of IPv4 (and IPv6, if you use it), then uncheck that crap in the adapter settings. It's not necessary. You're not logging onto a domain controller. M$ enables a lot of crap by default thinking you are going to be on a Windows-controlled network. And unless you are running local DNS, you really don't need 'register this connection' or whatever it is enabled on the DNS tab for the adapter(s). If you reset your networking, you will have to go back through and do all this again.
mha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you ever find a solution?

Troubleshooting this exact issue at a friends place. v3.0-r42729 on a ac68u. Problem started after upgrade of release. Downgrade does not fix the issue.

Both wireless and wired. Only Windows clients refuse the DHCP offer which is sent on the line.
mha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
mha wrote:

Troubleshooting this exact issue at a friends place. v3.0-r42729 on a ac68u. Problem started after upgrade of release. Downgrade does not fix the issue.

Both wireless and wired. Only Windows clients refuse the DHCP offer which is sent on the line.

Solution found:

Disable DHCP-authoritive under Basic setup and add "dhcp-broadcast" under dnsmasq options under Services tab.

Now the W10 clients seem to get an IP.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
mha wrote:
mha wrote:

Solution found:

Disable DHCP-authoritive under Basic setup and add "dhcp-broadcast" under dnsmasq options under Services tab.

Now the W10 clients seem to get an IP.

hmm forgive me my curiosity may i ask witch ver of WIN 10 you run....1909 ??

On 1 old laptop i have at home I'm still on 1903.. when i need WIN10 environment...connectivity is fine...
I know they recently blasted with i lots of updates and i usually cut off a lots of Win 10 stuff to be happy with it...
have a look on their updates descriptions, may be some recent updates interfere or cause crap

Currently im away of any WIN 10 i can touch or help you, all those around me (not mine) are on 1903 and work as they should with DDWRT router....

I know WIN 10 regarding compatibility and networking is big shit, it takes hours to read, cut'n set it and still not safe'n sound
I still use WIN 7 ultimate for some light stuff...rock solid...
So, if its not driver related issue as KP69 pointed, try updating win network drivers or rest/rollback
I guess to diagnose the issue we need much more details about your current set up, sadly this is not very DDWRT stuff
Im glad you ve found a solution...

its pure madness if you need those lines in DDWRT to make it work ....

"dhcp-broadcast[=tag:<tag>[,tag:<tag>]]
(IPv4 only) When all the given tags appear in the tag set, always use broadcast to communicate with the host when it is unconfigured. It is permissible to supply no tags, in which case this is unconditional. Most DHCP clients which need broadcast replies set a flag in their requests so that this happens automatically, some old BOOTP clients do not"

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
mha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:

hmm forgive me my curiosity may i ask witch ver of WIN 10 you run....1909 ??

On 1 old laptop i have at home I'm still on 1903.. when i need WIN10 environment...connectivity is fine...
I know they recently blasted with i lots of updates and i usually cut off a lots of Win 10 stuff to be happy with it...
have a look on their updates descriptions, may be some recent updates interfere or cause crap

Yep. 1909. He asked for my help with some clients stopped working after an upgrade, and it turned out my client I brought over was 1909 aswell. I don't have any possibility for testing a 1903.

Alozaros wrote:
its pure madness if you need those lines in DDWRT to make it work ....

Agreed Very Happy
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
The OP never told us which @#$%^&*! version of Win10 they were running, and considering this was posted in September of 2019, I will assume it was 1909. There is another thread with another solution as well: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324464

Just wanted to make note of this since I happened to see it. I may just take the plunge and do some backups and convert one desktop to Debian 9, and the other to Ubuntu 18.04 and toss M$ sh*t for good. Also, to note, this may have also been tied to issues in dnsmasq that may have since been patched, so if it's still an issue on more current releases, then it could be either or (but more likely it's M$ junk).

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have three WIN10 machines with never a problem getting DHCP
I keep'em updated fairly well....
Windows 10 Home
Version 1909
OS build 18363.815

and I have all my winders machines set to private network on my local net
all same with whatever router I have in use as main gateway (DHCP server)
just a note: if you bring a winders client to you local net and your local net gives out same DHCP subnet that will
prolly confuse the hell outta it and may need a network reset
OR
if you change the router but still using same subnet handing out DHCP the winders will auto go to thinking its a
public network but you should be able to change back to private network.....silly winders picks up on MAC of local side of router
so any type changes will confuse the poor thing
Razz
debeerx2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 13:26    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote
I am new to dd-wrt and am enjoying the experience.

Loaded build 43320 on my Netgear R6400v2 and the problem I encountered was that none of my Windows (win7 or win10) machines could receive an IP address via DHCP from the router. All my other devices (Apple, Android, etc) worked perfectly via DHCP.

The solution for me was to include a Domain Name in the dd-wrt settings: Setup>Basic Setup>Optional Settings>Domain Name
It worked with any text. I used HOME.

There is also another thread on the Forum which suggested that one should disable DHCP Authoritative and include dhcp-broadcast in the dnsmasq settings. But that solution did not work for me.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: