High Bufferbloat on R7000P

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have 2 families' R7000 on Kongac 39855M. QoS settings are HTB & FQ_CODEL using 96% of MAX for Download & Upload settings. Plus TCP Congestion Control is set to "hybia". They both get A+ for BufferBloat, make sure Hi-Res BufferBloat is selected when testing with DSLReports.

Here a link to Kongac Build 39855M

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
Sponsor
flyzipper
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
mac913 wrote:
I have 2 families' R7000 on Kongac 39855M. QoS settings are HTB & FQ_CODEL using 96% of MAX for Download & Upload settings. Plus TCP Congestion Control is set to "hybia". They both get A+ for BufferBloat, make sure Hi-Res BufferBloat is selected when testing with DSLReports.

96% equals what values specifically?

On my R7000, I can't get A+ rating on anything greater than 200000kbps (200mbps)... on a 1Gbps link.

Also, ensure IPv6 is not selected in DSL reports test preferences (DD-WRT doesn't shape IPv6 traffic... or, at least, it doesn't throttle download traffic).
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
flyzipper wrote:
mac913 wrote:

On my R7000, I can't get A+ rating on anything greater than 200000kbps (200mbps)... on a 1Gbps link.

Also, ensure IPv6 is not selected in DSL reports test preferences (DD-WRT doesn't shape IPv6 traffic... or, at least, it doesn't throttle download traffic).

My tests for Max speeds are under 150Mbps on 2 different ISPs.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
flyzipper wrote:
mac913 wrote:

I don't see the option for ipv6. Enabling QOS caused other problems on my end. The bufferbloat persists regardless of QOS setting.
flyzipper
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fried Chicken wrote:
I don't see the option for ipv6. Enabling QOS caused other problems on my end. The bufferbloat persists regardless of QOS setting.

Speed Test Menu (drop-down) > Preferences

OR

the gear icon (see attached preferences.PNG)

OR

This direct link... http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/preferences

In the screen that opens, just un-check the IPv6 option, and Save (see attached preferences2.PNG).

preferences.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.87 KB
 Viewed:  8656 Time(s)

preferences.PNG

preferences2.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.98 KB
 Viewed:  8656 Time(s)

preferences2.PNG

Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah; I got it. ipv6 was definitely off, and having high resolution bufferbloat is good.

I took the liberty of properly erasing the nvram by doing
Code:
nvram erase
via ssh.

I’ve now updated to what I believe is the latest version of Kong’s firmware:
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r40270M kongac (07/11/19)

And configured my Basic Setup, Wireless Setup, and Wireless Security as before.
Everything else is default.

Bufferbloat exceeded 2000ms.

Turned off one of hte computers on the networking that was taking a lot of connections under “Active Clients” under “Status”. I will frankly say I have no clue what that number means, but it’s between 100 and 200 for my desktop.

Bufferbloat is still extremely high.

Did some digging and found this:
https://www.embracingchaos.com/2011/01/fighting-buffer-bloat-on-dd-wrt.html

That recommends saving the following startup scripts:
Code:
ifconfig eth0 txqueuelen 2
ifconfig eth1 txqueuelen 2

Bufferbloat on the download is fine, on the upload is still 500+ ms.

Next step is to enable QoS. Again I don’t know if I should enable QoS for the overall internet speed, or my target client internet speed. It is very frustrating to say the least, and the problem persists. This is a pretty serious issue for all DD-WRT users. The lowest ping I’ve seen in CS:GO is around 36ms. A far cry from the 5ms that people get when basically sitting on the server, and it is a tangible issue.

[EDIT]

Well, QoS has solved the problem. Doing the settings recommended here:
https://www.flashrouters.com/blog/2017/03/09/how-to-fix-buffer-bloat-dd-wrt/

Has brought my Bufferbloat down to <30ms. Excellent. Unfortunately, It has also effectively halved my download and upload speeds, from a peak of 780 down and 50 up to 280 down and 20 up.

Part of the blame falls on my cable ISP, however it’s half of even what I saw today.
I put 450000kbps up and 20000 kbps down for my QoS settings.

[edit2]

Ahahahahaha Just Kidding;
Bufferbloat is again into the seconds range on the upload. I have a feeling my enemies in CS:GO are sabotaging me. This is ridiculous.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you're running on cable modem, you may need xDSCP kernel module loaded and set via iptables to 0x00. I have NOT tested the feature in the GUI to set TOS/DSCP to 0 in BS builds (I haven't checked Kong 40270M for this feature yet) ... I think it's under Security->Firewall tab.

I used to have eth1 and eth2 set to 5, but somehow that possibly contributed to breaking my wi-fi. The general rule of thumb is to tweak eth0 specifically and leave the rest alone, I think. I haven't tried setting it to 2. Sadly, FreshTomato is still scoring all As on one of the other E4200s, but on a good day, I get B for bufferbloat, and I have things tweaked as much as possible. I still need to tinker around with my R7000P and put it in place of everything else (eventually).
flyzipper
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fried Chicken wrote:
Again I don’t know if I should enable QoS for the overall internet speed, or my target client internet speed... my Bufferbloat down to <30ms. Excellent. Unfortunately, It has also effectively halved my download and upload speeds, from a peak of 780 down and 50 up to 280 down and 20 up.

It's enabled for the overall speed you're able to consistently measure, over the course of multiple tests (5 or more) on your link when QoS is disabled. You're finding your link speed and then defining a bottle-necking percentage of that... usually around 80-90%.

That said, the percentage might also need to be limited based on your router hardware. As I stated previously, on my R7000, I can only achieve consistently good bufferbloat performance with 200000kbps down and 30000kbps up (even though I have a 1Gbps down and 30Mbps up connection).

Action - humour me by starting low and moving up to see where bufferbloat starts to break down on your R7000P.

With your existing device, I suspect your choice is between running with full bandwidth and inconsistent latency (QoS off), or with constrained bandwidth and consistent latency (QoS on and properly tuned).

As a gamer, I choose the latter, since no game requires 1Gbps of bandwidth, but many games require consistently low latency.

Solution - if your R7000P is limiting your QoS performance, and you want to utilize the majority of your 750Mbps link, the only option is to buy a faster router.

This is the way every QoS system works, not just on DD-WRT.

Fried Chicken wrote:
The lowest ping I’ve seen in CS:GO is around 36ms. A far cry from the 5ms that people get when basically sitting on the server, and it is a tangible issue.

Try not to conflate these issues. Ping and bufferbloat tests are both measuring and reporting latency in ms, but simple ping duration between point A and point B is largely a function of physical distance (i.e. physics).

Pinging myself (127.0.0.1) is <1ms, pinging my router is 1ms, to my ISP gateway it's 10ms, pinging a host in Toronto is 25ms (110km away), and pinging a host in Los Angeles is 96ms (4000km away).

Last edited by flyzipper on Mon Sep 09, 2019 21:02; edited 1 time in total
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fried Chicken wrote:

Code:

No need to change buffer sizes in DD-WRT. If you setup your QoS menu correctly to your connection's bandwidth values, the queueing discipline will manage which packets are sent as soon as possible to prevent the default txqueuelen of 1000 to even become an issue.

First, update to a build with the Cake AQM in it (build 40529 and newer). Cake will hold your latency jitter tighter than FQ_CoDel can at lower CPU usage.

Set QoS to traffic shape on the WAN interface only. HTB packet scheduler, and then Cake for queueing discipline.

As others have noted above, how much bandwidth you can shape/limit will be dependent on your router's CPU. The selected Queueing Discipline and amount of priority rules can affect this (along with other CPU intensive routing services such as firewall and VPN).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
MDA400 wrote:
Fried Chicken wrote:

Code:

No need to change buffer sizes in DD-WRT. If you setup your QoS menu correctly to your connection's bandwidth values, the queueing discipline will manage which packets are sent as soon as possible to prevent the default txqueuelen of 1000 to even become an issue.

First, update to a build with the Cake AQM in it (build 40529 and newer). Cake will hold your latency jitter tighter than FQ_CoDel can at lower CPU usage.

Set QoS to traffic shape on the WAN interface only. HTB packet scheduler, and then Cake for queueing discipline.

As others have noted above, how much bandwidth you can shape/limit will be dependent on your router's CPU. The selected Queueing Discipline and amount of priority rules can affect this (along with other CPU intensive routing services such as firewall and VPN).

Unfortunately I think I’m on Kong’s latest build, and I don’t see any Cake, only Pie.

Doubly-unfortunately, my WiFi performance right now is the funniest joke I’ve ever seen

Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 10.53.39 PM.png
 Description:
Wifi Joke Funny
 Filesize:  94.57 KB
 Viewed:  8413 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 10.53.39 PM.png

Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok; here we go

Test 1:
Code:
TCP Congestion control: Hybia
STP: on
QoS: on (HTB & FQ_Codel)
2.4GHz Antenna results:
54.3 up/33.5 down A/C/A+

Test 2:
Code:
STP: on
QoS: off
2.4GHz Antenna results:
67.5 up/42.5 down A/C/A+

Test 3:
Code:
STP: off
QoS: off (HTB & FQ_Codel)
2.4GHz Antenna results:
55.6 down/42.4 up B/C/A

Test 4:
Code:
STP: off
QoS: on (HTB & FQ_Codel)
2.4GHz Antenna results:
63.3 down/32.4 up B/C/A

QoS Settings are as follows:
Code:
Port: WAN
Packet Scheduler: HTB
Queuing Discipline: FQ_CODEL
Downlink 450,000
Uplink: 35,000
TCP Packet Priority: ACK, SYN, FIN, and RST
Service Priority: httpaudio (premium) and csgo (express)
flyzipper
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
With all due respect, your test shows you haven't paid attention to the guidance you've been offered in this thread.

Bluntly... configuring 450000 on the downlink in QoS, when your 2.4Ghz WiFi link delivers nowhere near that, is an error. Messing with STP (Spanning tree protocol) will do nothing for you in the context of a basic home network.
ACwifidude
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use a wired connection (preferred) or 5ghz with 80mhz wide channels to perform your testing. Let us know what you get.

Inactive: R6250 X 2 BS DD-WRT
Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
ACwifidude wrote:
Use a wired connection (preferred) or 5ghz with 80mhz wide channels to perform your testing. Let us know what you get.

On a wired I got:
QoS: On
STP: On
Router congestion contro: Hybia
365.8 down/34.1 up
A+/A/A+

Disabling QoS gives:
739/53.2
A/C/A+

Disabling QoS and STP gives:
644/51.1
B/C/A

The issue is with WiFi, but setting QoS to whatever terrible WiFi performance I’m getting is not an acceptable solution. This is exactly why I was hesitant to use QoS in the first place.

Now i’m not sure what to do; I need to eliminate the bufferbloat while maintaining throughout for all my devices (wired and wireless).

I’m continuing to run tests:

QoS: Off
eth0 eth1 queuelen 2:
645/51.6
A/C/A+

Switching to Westwood TCP congestion control:
623/45.9
A/C/A+

2nd time:
666/50.0
A/C/A+

Changing some settings I think causes the router to reconnect all WiFi clients, and this leads to erratic results.
Now that I’ve dicked with the txqueuelen, I guess I have to restart the router to clear it back to default?

After restart:
Congestion Control: Westwood
659/50.7
A/C/A+

It’s worth pointing out, the high bufferbloat seems to only show up on the upload side and not the download side.

eth0 txqueuelen: 5
671/47.1
A/C/A+

The grades on that test seem deceiving, bufferbloat was higher on download and upload overall. I was expecting A/D/A+

Here’s something interesting:
for shit’s and giggles I decided to bypass the R7000P and connect straight into the modem.
The modem didn’t like this, and required a restart, but I did get a speedtest in:
742/45.6
A/C/A+

and another:
735/42.3
A/C/A+

and another:
744/43.6
A/C/A+

I will investigate further later. Maybe it’s not the router at all, but the cable modem (Netgear CM600 - no intel chipset).

Back on the Router,
QoS: On (600,000/35,000)
txqueuelen: default
276.6/31.3
A/B/A+
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm congestion control is also fun...try vegas
i had a high buffer-bloat with westwood...no torrents as well, so in my case im on vegas...and here is a happy day's
if you don't need it turn STP off, it can cause more harm than pro's...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 6
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: