All devices except w10 can connect (wifi + wired)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
mmfood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 13:32    Post subject: All devices except w10 can connect (wifi + wired) Reply with quote
Hi, I hope this is the correct forum to post this as I suspect it is not specific to the router model.

I recently installed dd-wrt on a Netgear R7000, and quickly upgraded to v3.0-r40784 std (08/25/19). Everything has worked great up to this point, all kinds of devices (android, iPhone, iPad, linux machines etc) can still connect to the router both on wifi and wired connections.

However I recently tried to connect from a windows 10 laptop but it is only assigned the ip 169.254.x.x. I tried another laptop using windows 10 and it had the same problem. Both of these systems where able to connect to the router when it used the stock fw.

Connecting to other wifi-networks, such as my phone hotspot, still works. I also tried to boot with a linux live usb which connected just without issues. So I have ruled out any hardware issues. So the issue seems to be between windows 10 and dd-wrt.

I have tried the following
- Running the windows troubleshooter, which, as expected, didn't work
- enabling/disabling the network device
- reinstalled drivers for the network device
- done a router reset to factory defaults
- rebooting the computer
- ipconfig /release -> ipconfig /renew (which only gives the message "An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint" and "The data is invalid" respectively.
- Disabling 802.11n mode
- Setting a static IP (works)
- The procedure suggested here: https://forums.techguy.org/threads/invalid-ip-for-wireless-connection.1057950/
resulting in a "access is denied" message at the end.

Is there any setting in dd-wrt that might be incompatible with windows 10?

Last edited by mmfood on Mon Sep 09, 2019 20:07; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Windows 10 connects fine for me on wireless. What version of Win10, and are the updates current? If it has an Intel wireless adapter, driver updates are pretty much a must-do. The forced 1903 update broke a few things for me until the major cumulative patches were applied, but wi-fi / networking wasn't one of them, save and except for Oracle Virtualbox VMs not wanting to connect in NAT mode. If you are choosing the correct SSID, entering the credentials correctly, etc., it should work unless you have some sort of MAC filtering preventing it from connecting properly.
mmfood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I updated the wireless driver but still no success. I can, however, set a static IP and connect to the wifi. This in combination with the fact that it the issue present on both ethernet and wifi suggests to me that this is an issue with the dhcp client/server.

I are there any settings regarding dhcp in dd-wrt that might not work with the windows dhcp client? For instance what is the use of the WINS setting?

I have no MAC-filtering atm. And I have reset the settings to "factory defaults" several times.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have no good reason to think it will help but might be worth trying the last <Kong> build for R7000.

http://ddwrt-kong.clonevince.fr/40270/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad + Blocklist Collection
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
There aren't any dhcp settings 'out of the box' with default settings that would break things for Win10 that I am aware of. There are advanced wireless settings for Intel drivers that might break things, though. I presume you mean that the Win10 clients won't connect at all, or is it that they can't browse the internet? Are they getting an IP address if you set it to DHCP? You may need to completely remove old wireless connections in Win10 and reset anything you tinkered with. I can't say that Win10 in itself isn't temperamental, but there has got to be something going on.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/technologies/wins/wins-top
Dr_K
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
You say that the laptop connected before when the router was stock...

Are you by chance using the same ssid & password?

If so...

In Windows...on the list of avalible/used networks... right click on the used ssid then click forget....then rejoin ...

WRT160Nv3 DD-WRT ?v3?.0-r35531 mini (03/26/18 ) Access Point
WRT54GSv5 DD-WRT v24-r33555_micro_generic (10/20/17) Repeater
Location 2
R7800- DD-WRT v3.0-r51855 (02/25/23) Gateway
R6300v2- DD-WRT v3.0-r50671 (10-26-22) Access Point
WNDR3700v2 DD-WRT v3.0-r35531 std (03/26/18 ) Access Point
E1200 v2 DD-WRT v3.0-r35531 mega-nv64k (03/26/18 ) Gateway(for trivial reasons)
RBWAPG-5HACT2HND-BE RouterOS-v6.46.4 (2/21/20) Outdoor Access Point
2x RBSXTG-5HPACD RouterOS-v6.46.4 (2/21/20) PTP Bridge 866.6Mbps-1GbpsLAN
Location 3
2x R7000- DD-WRT v3.0-r50671 (10/26/22) Access Points
2x RBWAPG-60AD RouterOS-v6.45.9 (04/30/20) PTP Bridge 2.3Gbps-1GbpsLAN
2x RBSXTsqG-5acD RouterOS-v6.49.7 (10/14/22) PTP Bridge 866.6Mbps-1GbpsLAN

Thank You BrainSlayer for ALL that you do & have done, also to "most" everyone here that shares their knowledge
mmfood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I presume you mean that the Win10 clients won't connect at all, or is it that they can't browse the internet? Are they getting an IP address if you set it to DHCP?

With DHCP they get an address like 169.254.173.73 and no default gateway is set. I can't ping the router either so I'd say they can't connect. With a static IP they connect without problems.

kernel-panic69 wrote:

You may need to completely remove old wireless connections in Win10 and reset anything you tinkered with. I can't say that Win10 in itself isn't temperamental, but there has got to be something going on.

Are you talking about "forget" and reconnect? I have tried that several times.

Dr_K wrote:

You say that the laptop connected before when the router was stock...

Are you by chance using the same ssid & password?

I am. Changed the SSID and tried again, still the same...

bushant wrote:

I have no good reason to think it will help but might be worth trying the last <Kong> build for R7000.

http://ddwrt-kong.clonevince.fr/40270/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin

Yes, I should probably test another build. But Kong builds are no longer being developed if I'm not mistaken. Wouldn't another BS build be better?

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/technologies/wins/wins-top

Ok, so WINS isn't needed.

Looks like I have found another reason to stay away from Windows...Unfortunately that's not always possible
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
mmfood wrote:
With DHCP they get an address like 169.254.173.73 and no default gateway is set. I can't ping the router either so I'd say they can't connect. With a static IP they connect without problems.

169.254.173.7 is a link local address which Windows assign itself when a DHCP Server cannot be reached.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think when I was having some random issues, I did the forget, rebooted, then tried to reconnect after it booted up. That, and turned wi-fi off, then back on again between attempts. Windows10 is really troublesome at times. I think worst case was having to go into the registry to make the OS completely forget all previous network connections. I haven't had any issues connecting to DD-WRT in over a year. I guess I left this out before Embarassed

Agreed @ Per Yngve Berg, that is an auto-assigned address for Windows ... and OS X is similar. I don't think any flavor of Linux or *BSD does that crap ... yet.
mmfood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I think when I was having some random issues, I did the forget, rebooted, then tried to reconnect after it booted up. That, and turned wi-fi off, then back on again between attempts.

Tried that too, no success...

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Windows10 is really troublesome at times. I think worst case was having to go into the registry to make the OS completely forget all previous network connections.

How do I do that? Might be worth a shot...
mmfood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did a capture with wireshark.

I get two DHCP Discover pkgs from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 before recieving an Offer (192.168.1.135) from the router. No more DHCP traffic after that...

And the router starts sending ARP messages asking about 192.168.1.135, first to broadcast and later to IntelCor_96:xx:yy (which I am guessing is my wifi-card?). But there is no ARP response.

Before that though, the InteCor_96:xx:yy is sending ARP requests about 169.254.x.x.

This seems suspicious...
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I have to ask if you reset your advanced settings on win10 wireless adapter back to defaults; ALSO, which band is this on, and what are the settings - i.e., do you have specific channels and network modes set? You may have either 1) changed a setting on your wireless adapter that is breaking things; or 2) configured the router wrong -- I am leaning towards option #1, but I'd rather eliminate either of those possibilities FIRST.
mmfood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Ok, I have to ask if you reset your advanced settings on win10 wireless adapter back to defaults;

I guess you are referring to the "advanced" section in tcp/ipv4 settings, which is basically empty except for

IP settings tab
"DHCP enabled" in "IP addresses"

DNS tab
"Append primary and connection specifig DNS suffixes" (checked)
"Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix" (checked)
"Register this connection's addresses in DNS" (checked)

WINS tab
"Enable LMHOSTS lookup" (checked)
"NetBIOS setting" default

kernel-panic69 wrote:
ALSO, which band is this on, and what are the settings - i.e., do you have specific channels and network modes set?

Both bands:
Wireless mode: AP
Wireless Network Mode: Mixed
Wireless Channel: auto
Channel width: 20MHz
Wireless SSID Broadcast: enable
Network configuration: Bridged

2.4 GHz specific
TurboQAM (QAM256) support: enable

All other wireless settings are disabled.

kernel-panic69 wrote:

You may have either 1) changed a setting on your wireless adapter that is breaking things; or 2) configured the router wrong -- I am leaning towards option #1, but I'd rather eliminate either of those possibilities FIRST.

There might be some settings that are breaking things, but I doubt I put them there in any case. Remember, I have reinstalled the driver and reset the router to factory defaults multiple times. And one of the laptops is from work so I don't even have permissions to change those things.

I haven't tried another build yet. What are my chances that that will fix things?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rule #1: Mixed wireless mode and Auto channel are junk, don't use them in DD-WRT. Use NG-Mixed and NA-Mixed (N-AC-Mixed if it's and AC router) if you need mixed. Use a wi-fi analyzer app or the wiviz / site survey in DD-WRT to pick an un-congested channel. You can get away with using 20MHz channel width on the 2.4 band, and sometimes 40. Your 5GHz band should be at least 40 MHz, if not 80 (if it supports it).

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Basic_Wireless_Settings

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Advanced_wireless_settings
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: