[SOLVED] WRT32X back to stock Firmware

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
aaronburro wrote:
Can anyone confirm if it is necessary to remove dd-wrt from both partitions in order to go back to stock?

If you follow the guide provided in #6 on this thread it overwrites DD-WRT, so you can write to one partition or both, so answer no need to remove DD-WRT on either partition.
hope this helps

Last edited by foz111 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 14:36; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Luisfer153cr wrote:
Could someone make an updated post on this topic? There are so many "edited" that I panic to try because I do not know where to start

i think you'll find that #6 of this thread has been edited to reflect changes required
albpara
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
tl;dr had the same issue and worked for me but only with the venom.img file uploaded to this thread, not with the oficial firmware from linksys.

I bought, literally yesterday, a linksys wrt32x with the idea of using dd-wrt on it to remember those days when I had a wrt54gl

I flashed it and I discovered the fact that 2 different partitions exist too late... none of those had the stock firmware.

Te solution provided here worked for me like a charm, but the stock image from Linsys website (FW_WRT32X_1.0.180404.58.img) didn't work I was bale to flash only the vemon.img provided in this thread.

@aaronburro I did not remove anything in fact now, I have dd-wrt in one partition an stock in ahoter.
WildBillpdx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:

I highly recommend you get a USB-TTL cable. It is the only way to recover your WRT32X if something goes wrong.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/954

Good Luck!

Is there a good source for the pinouts/connector for the WRT32X using the USB-TTL cable? I just bought a used system on Ebay and I want to put a fresh/clean version of DD-WRT and the stock firmware on the system and be prepared for the worst.

Thanks.
Justanotherbrokenrouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
This may be a long shot at this point in the conversation, but have you tried simply holding the reset on the back for 10 seconds, and if no response just unplug the power from the back of the router turn off the switch wait 10 seconds, and plug in, and power on. Only if it's not a extreme brick it should pull linksys factory firmware back. If no help then TTL cable will be a sure fix.
Rick Strike
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="spuriousoffspring"]Like I said I haven't verified this for myself and there is a good chance of soft-bricking your WRT32X.
[color=red][b]Use at your own risk.[/b][/color]

[color=blue][b]Read the entire thread before you begin[/b][/color]

First, enable SSH in DD-WRT GUI [b]Services[/b] Tab - [b]Services[/b] Sub Tab - [i]Secure Shell[/i] Section - SSHd (Enable)

Second, download and install PuTTY and WinSCP (assuming you are using a Windows PC)
PuTTY:
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html
WinSCP:
https://winscp.net/eng/index.php

PuTTY & WinSCP login credentials:
User Name is always: [b][i]root[/i][/b]
Password is: [i]your dd-wrt admin password[/i]

Third, use WinSCP to copy the [i]venom.img[/i] (attached to last post) to [b][i]/tmp[/i][/b] on your WRT32X.

Forth, open PuTTY and SSH into router

[u]The commands you will need to enter[/u]:

[b][i]erase nvram[/i][/b]
[b][i]mtd -r -e kernel1 write venom.img kernel1[/i][/b]

[color=blue][b]EDIT:[/b][/color] Correct commands are:
[b][i]mtd -e linux -r write /tmp/venom.img linux[/i][/b]
[b][i]mtd -e linux2 -r write /tmp/venom.img linux2[/i][/b]

I highly recommend you get a USB-TTL cable. It is the only way to recover your WRT32X if something goes wrong.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/954

Good Luck![/quote]

I currently use Windows. How do I use "mtd -e linux -r write /tmp/venom.img linux" command in Windows?
ed2019
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anybody know if Brainslayer added a 'return to stock' feature so we can just update using the dd-wrt interface using the linksys firmware?

I thought I read somewhere it was added last Feb or Mar but maybe I just misread it. I ended up overwriting both partitions because I was under the impression it was implemented.

Thanks
Winkel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
All the time I have tried to get back to stock I had to use a ttl cable, it goes for both dd-wrt and open-wrt never managed to get it done from gui and not sure if dd-wrt support it but read that open-wrt support it, but not for me *lol*
LordNibler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
"
I currently use Windows. How do I use "mtd -e linux -r write /tmp/venom.img linux" command in Windows?[/quote]"

This is where you use Putty and telnet or SSH into the router to issue these commands.
Luisfer153cr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found the following tutorial at community.linksys:
https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/how-to-get-Revert-to-stock-firmware-in-Linksys-WRT32x/td-p/1361733
I follow these steps from OpenWRT with WINSCP, I wonder if it is possible to execute the same steps but with DDWRT?

Quote:
- cd /tmp
- wget http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/firmware/FW_WRT32X_1.0.180404.58.img
- sysupgrade -v -F /tmp/FW_WRT32X_1.0.180404.58.img

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
ed2019 wrote:
Does anybody know if Brainslayer added a 'return to stock' feature so we can just update using the dd-wrt interface using the linksys firmware?

I thought I read somewhere it was added last Feb or Mar but maybe I just misread it. I ended up overwriting both partitions because I was under the impression it was implemented.

Thanks

The r40900 release contains an additional file:

ddwrt-venom-uboot-flash-flat.img

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/
Luisfer153cr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
ed2019 wrote:

Thanks

The r40900 release contains an additional file:

ddwrt-venom-uboot-flash-flat.img

If I saw it but I don't know how it is used, I tried to flash it but I only change partitions .... I want to put venon in partition 2 and ddwrt in 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:
I attached the flat stock Venom image. Also here's a link to help with MTD info:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/mtd

I haven't personally tried the aforementioned method. However, I can confirm the attached file does successfully flash via USB-TTL Serial Cable.

Unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing I would not recommend going any further!

The safest approach may be to wait and see if Brainslayer can add a 'return to stock' feature in one of the next DD-WRT builds.

i can't find the attachment?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
tonymine wrote:
i can't find the attachment?

It's probably because you were not logged in or didn't refresh the page.

Here is a properly converted flat file for serial flash using the latest/last official linksys firmware (as seen on page 3).

flat-FW_WRT32X_1.0.180404.58.img
cjnatan2019
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for this thread, helped me a lot:)

I might be late to the party, but I only needed to copy venom.img file to /tmp folder, and execute

Code:
mtd -e linux -r write /tmp/venom.img linux

Modem then rebooted itself and I was able to access the regular WRT32X interface. Then I upgraded the firmware to latest of WRT and it works like a charm.

[img]https://imgur.com/a/XbIwWWq[/img]

I didnt have the serial cable as backup, but I do have other routers floating around so it wouldnt have been a problem if I bricked it.

Hope it helps someone else in doubt.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: