DHCP Server shows enabled, but stopped; I didn't stop it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 20:40    Post subject: DHCP Server shows enabled, but stopped; I didn't stop it Reply with quote
Archer C7 v4 Router running r37882 and then upgraded to r40260;

Question: With the DHCP Server showing "enabled" on the initial home page (System Information) before one actually has to login , how can one actually 'stop' it?

I think I may have been 'hit' somewhere affecting the Router. I lost Internet connectivity yesterday after I added an address to block under Services/Services Mgnt/DHCP Server under DNSMasq, shortly after I lost my Internet connection.
It took some time before I found the problem, but not what made the change.

Under Setup/Basic Setup/Network Setup/Network Address Server Settings/DHCP, it was shown 'Enabled', but under System Information it showed "stopped".

I reset factory defaults after I couldn't figure out what was going on and while I was at it flashed the newer F/W. All was well untill the next time (hours) I tried to access the Internet, same thing happened. I also lost my VoIP service.

The only thing I can figure by logging into the Router, not just going to the home page, something in my desktop triggered the problem. I ran six or seven A/V programs and found nothing. Right now I haven't tried to log back into the router since I don't know if the same thing is going to happen and wanted ideas here.
Sponsor
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
If there is no way one can 'stop' the DHCP Server from running, not disabling it, but stop it as the screen shows me, then something else did.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a feeling you had/have a cache size specified in your Additional Dnsmasq Options under the services tab. newer builds do not need this line anymore. Otherwise, you have another setting in DNSMASQ settings that is conflicting/duplicated and causing the DHCP to stop.

the cache thing was killing my dhcp until I removed it...this happened a few months ago.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you referring to under Services/Services Mgnt/Dnsmasq/Maximum Cached Entries ?
The Cache DNSSEC data is disabled.

Nothing was changed there by me. It's listed as 1500 entries.

It was suggested (locally) that there might of been a conflict with the PC where DHCP was enabled within Windows 7 somehow and that caused a conflict within the Router. If so, I didn't do it intentionally, I use static IP addresses and that is the only thing I change in Networking.
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately I didn't have either of the logs turned on, which I have done now.
Regarding dual (conflicting) DHCP Servers, can anyone expand on this?

One thing I didn't mention in my OP, the day before this happened I received my 1st
ransomware e-mail that I just briefly read, dismissed and deleted. You you see why I might be a little 'paranoid' about this. Wink
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Post a picture of your Services tab...the area of interest is the Additional Dnsmasq Options...

It's hard to follow your thought process here....your title indicates that the DHCP server on the router randomly was stopped, yes?

Did the problem first start on an older firmware build and then you upgraded the firmware to "fix" the issue and it still persists?I see you facotry reset to defaults, was that on the latest firmware?

If the DHCP server is stopping, it's because there's a conflicting setting somewhere in your router causing it to die.

It could be that you also simply need to reset your cache on your browser because it's trying to load old/bad settings when you log into the router. try using private/incognito mode...

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I thought I detailed it well enough. The browsers cache is deleted on exit.

Yes to all 3 of your questions. I reset it twice.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think the additional dhcpd options box is valid anymore since udhcpd was removed, save and except for devices that have unbound instead, perhaps. I have never used that block with dnsmasq.
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had that discussion here (in another thread) and that was the one to use (as opposed to the block about it).
The purpose (if it wasn't obvious) was to block forced Mozilla updates to FF older versions.

But that should be immaterial since it doesn't have anything to do with the problem as those entries have been there for some time.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's an easier way to block that. It's called disabling automatic updates in the browser / prompting to update. FF ESR 52.9.0 is pinging me to death about updating though. If it weren't for having more than one client with FF on it, I would consider doing things that way. It is an option, though.
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
That would be providing it worked.
It doesn't anymore with FF which is why I included "forced" in my statement, just like M$ with their forced updates.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will have to check Quantum and later versions of ESR again, but I don't ever recall disabling automatic updates not working for me, but anything is possible. I just know that I have FF ESR 52.9.0 for webUI access to router setup to not update here, and all it does is pop up the thing saying there's an update which I close it out and move on with life.
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unless they (Mozilla) had a change of mind, there were a ton of posts, threads, references to it a year or so ago.
I run v56 (the last of the 'real' full function browsers before the format change to the chrome-dome/M$ stripped down, useless design w/o a menu bar, toy phone look designed by a post-teenager, making FF utterly useless alone with most of the others.
(Seamonkey was not affected for whatever reason, but those were newer versions and SM doesn't come out with full version numbers every month so so either like most of the others).

Anyway, the issue hasn't returned (knock on wood), I have no idea what caused it as it never happened before. It wasn't just this PC, it was everything that lost Internet connectivity including my VoIP adapter. Mad
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doing additional searching, I found this;
F-Secure has a on-line Router Checker;
https://www.f-secure.com/en_US/web/home_us/router-checker?ecid=10845

I don't know how thorough it is, but it's quick and there is a details option that shows your DNS server and ISP name.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your description of the evolution of FF is hilarious. Quantum was actually a good step in the right direction in some ways, other ways not so much. It still doesn't pre-fetch a gazillion times like Chrome does, but I have noticed a few things on certain sites. Quantum is a little particular with the DD-WRT UI. The latest version of ESR on Debian and Ubuntu is not so problematic, but 52.9.0 on OS X is two thumbs up. I may give that router checker a gander here in a bit. (PAUSE) ....

Ok, we were trying to fix your dhcp server problem... and got off track. Have you tried removing the additional options from the dhcpd (not dnsmasq), saving, applying, rebooting? It may be something that is causing issues.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: