Extending WiFi into a shed, without spending a bundle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
unranked_newbie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:15    Post subject: Extending WiFi into a shed, without spending a bundle Reply with quote
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but it seemed the "best fit".

We have a WiFi LAN at home, with a D-Link DIR890L as the “root” of that network. I have a large shed – around 20 metres or so away from the house, into which I want to extend that WiFi network via repeater.

The thinking was that I would use some kind of commodity hardware (TP Link WA901ND or similar) as a repeater. However, I need to have the repeater itself inside the shed (where there is power), AND have it connected to an aerial outside the faraday cage the shed represents.

I note that TP Link (amongst others) sell extended aerial cables, so the question is, am I right in assuming that I could buy one of these cables, run it to outside the shed (line of sight to house/existing WiFi network), and have the WA901nd then act as a repeater for that network?

Or am I missing something?

The advice I’ve gotten from local IT “experts” is that I definitely need to purchase a 2-part system – 1 part at the house (Ethernet cabled into the D-Link DIR890L), and a second part at the shed end. If I have WiFi coverage to the perimeter of the shed, surely I can just use the one repeater, as long as it can take signal from outside the shed via externally-connected aerial…?
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can your main router be reached from outside of the shed?

1) Outdoor unit. They are powered by the Ethernet cable.
https://www.tp-link.com/no/business-networking/outdoor-radio/

2) Powerline adapters. Presume the power cable from the shed runs into the house. Works best when both units are on the same fuse.

https://www.tp-link.com/no/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa8730-kit/

3) Roll a cable from the house and into the shed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: