Buffalo WZR-600DHP with corrupt web UI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
d.ano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:07    Post subject: Buffalo WZR-600DHP with corrupt web UI Reply with quote
Just as subject says, I have a WZR-600DHP with what seems to be a corrupt web UI.

The WZR-600DHP was paired in a WSD as a station, when it stopped connecting clients and I could not reach via IP its web UI. I could not ping it either.

Its two wireless network indicators on were coming back after reboot, but they were staying solid lit, indicating no traffic, I think.

I connected to the device through an Ethernet cable and I was able to ping it on the WSD-Station-configured IP.

When I attempted to connect via web UI, I got prompted to enter credentials and upon successful authentication, I was presented a web page that looked just like a wireframe of what should be the home page, I guess. It has no text, just some HTML tables and inputs, with the exception of the word "WAN" at the very bottom. I am a web developer, so I did inspect dev tools and confirmed what looks to be an HTML template of some sort, without any significant data.

I then did a 30-30-30 reset. The device came back as expected (looking at its lights) and upon changing Ethernet configuration, I was able to connect to factory-reset IP and credentials. Unfortunately, I am seeing exactly the same UI.

Has anybody seen this? I'd rather avoid re-flashing - praying for some trick that would recover the web UI, because it seems the networking portion of it seems to be okay.

Thanks

-- edit -----------
I don't know for sure the firmware I was running on the Station. I am running DD-WRT v3.0-r30355 std (09/13/16) on the AP. There is a good probability that the Station was on the same version
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which browser are you using? It's most likely the issue with how your browser is loading the .css, nothing new. Firefox, IE, and Edge seem to work fairly well from what I have read. I personally use an older version of Firefox ESR (52.9.0) and it's been not so problematic. It could also be that your firmware version being that old, there may have been some changes to the webUI to fix some issues, I would have to back-track through the svn repo and bug tickets to see.
d.ano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for looking at this.
As I mention, I am a web developer. I examined the HTTP response and I can definitely say that there is an issue on the server side (in the router). I use Chrome and I also tried it with Edge (for a different reason; no doubting the rendering). Plus, I do have a working one.

Between my working one and the corrupt HTML, I am able to see the <FORM> definition and will probably try to craft a POST to the CGI script that seems to be the post handler. I see a form called "Factory Reset" - will try to kick that, hoping that the apply.cgi will be functional.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chrome does not play well with the DD-WRT webUI. Newer versions of Firefox (and Waterfox) seem to have issues as well, which is why I rolled back to the version of Firefox that I use specifically for the webUI and nothing else. It could be the support for older browsers is breaking things, or not.
d.ano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
So here's some additional info from today. While I didn't have any type to play with the router, I left it unplugged all night. In the morning when I plugged it in, it was fine and displayed the UI, I logged in and was able to restore my settings backup.
After I reconfigured my computer LAN interface to match restored values and tried to login to the web UI, I experienced the same issue - emoty/corrupted web page response.

I have unplugged it again to see if this is overheating issue.
h8red
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
d.ano wrote:

1. Do not restore settings. Enter manually
2. Reset router to defaults
3. Reset browser cache

100% it is not overheating problem

[Ramips] Nexx WT3020F Openwrt @kernel #4.14.167 (OpenVPN server, Wireguard server, AD blocking, SQM QOS, USB)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
h8red wrote:
d.ano wrote:

1. Do not restore settings. Enter manually
2. Reset router to defaults
3. Reset browser cache

100% it is not overheating problem

x2, but again, don't use Chrome or Chromium to access the router. It will do this at the drop of a hat. I generally don't reset nvram unless things get really out of whack. BUT, the only way to tell if any variables changed is to do a reset, do an nvram show via CLI, and configure from scratch. I'll worry about that again if things crap out or I get close to maxing out nvram usage.
d.ano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it isn't overheating, what is it?

After another 6-8 hours, I plugged it in and I am able to login and browse all screens with no problem.

I am going through all the settings and trying to confirm they're intact

--- update ---
After confirming all settings around my existing WDS setup, I could not see the router connecting to the AP (remember, it's the WDS Station rounter that's giving me problems), I decided to see if I'll be able to reset and set it up, just as a test, as a standalone. Another 30-30-30 and a quick setup to no avail - I can't see its SSID (the default Buffalo one) when I scan my wifi space. I will be double-checking my "simple" setup, but at this point I am out of ideas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: