DD-WRT blocked on ASUS routers?

IrishLord
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:55    Post subject: DD-WRT blocked on ASUS routers? Reply with quote
I have purchased four RT-AC68U's and one AC5300 (Asus) routers. Only in the latest version have I gotten the error listed at the bottom of this post when I've attempted to upgrade the stock ASUS firmware to DD_WRT firmware.

The first three AC68U's had Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.384_45149 and did not report any errors when uploading but could not get the routers to respond so I had to use the ASUS firmware restoration utility to reload earlier firmware.

The latest AC68U I purchased (firmware RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_45717-gadd52a8) however gave a more troublesome error message when attempting to upgrade to any/all versions of BS & Kong versions I downloaded. This error persisted across all attempts to erase nvram, downgrade Firmware back to earlier version (earliest I was able to find was RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_10007-g8e859e9).

The message displayed after clearing nvram (via Telnet) and also using the Web GUI to restore/initialize back to factory defaults was:

Invalid Firmware Upload
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official website for the certified firmware.

I was able to install the Merlin firmware. So there seems to be a certification problem with only the newest routers or routers that have had the latest firmware installed (even after reverting to earlier versions of the official ASUS firmware, the above message still remains).

I have posted this in General Questions because it appears this message is meant to apply to many different routers and may be due to changes I have read about concerning pending changes in government regulations in the US regarding accessing router firmware.

I hope that I've provided enough information but I've missed anything relevant I will be checking back frequently and supply any additional information requested.

-------------------------------------------------
[Edit - added the link below. Apparently this is a known issue on Reddit but not being addressed here. If it's not addressed in DD-WRT this could be the end of DD-WRT on ASUS routers, which I doubt will happen as I think it will just take the Gurus a little time to get to this issue).

https://www.reddit.com/r/DDWRT/comments/50gcna/ddwrt_blocked_on_asus_routers/

Invalid Firmware Upload.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.03 KB
 Viewed:  5032 Time(s)

Invalid Firmware Upload.JPG

Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: