EA8500 - horrendously slow - Should I revert to stock?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Should I change firmware?
Stay with Kong & do fresh install
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Move to BS and do fresh install
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Move to a different 3rd party firmware
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Return to stock Linksys
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

m0mo_
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I'm a bit newer to this..

I'm using cable and have done a few nvram erase and reboots. I have basically left wireless settings default except for WPA2.

Directly to the modem I get 480 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up.
Hardwired through the 8500 I get 460 Mbps and 20 Mbps up.
2.4 through the 8500 I get 100 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up.
5.8 through the 8500 I get 160 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up.

I am sitting closer to the router to test but further away I see the same speeds.
The up speed is pretty consistent but as you can see the download speeds change drastically. If you have suggestions on wireless settings or what screenshots of settings I can provide to help troubleshoot.. I can provide it.

Thanks!

Last edited by m0mo_ on Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:32; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll ask (again) in this thread. Is BBR tcp congestion control available in the 4.9 kernel builds?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I'll ask (again) in this thread. Is BBR tcp congestion control available in the 4.9 kernel builds?

yea KP the bbr has been included in dd-wrt for the EA8500 for very long time.
Last time I checked it wasn't worth a damn.
I use hybla on all my units.
m0mo_
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
@mrjcd Any suggestions are much appreciated. I've tried reflashing the firmware as well.

Thanks!
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
m0mo_ wrote:
@mrjcd Any suggestions are much appreciated. I've tried reflashing the firmware as well.

Thanks!

You might should look at any of msoengineer posts on previous page1 of this thread.
In all his post his signature has --> TIPS-A MUST READ:
That might help you some.
AND
also wouldn't hurt to see this --
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/QCA_wireless_settings

#

EDIT:
also m0mo, whatever type modem you have I would suggest putting it in bridge mode and let the EA8500 handle everything .....
again, I don't know anything about your setup and what all you may trying to use.
If your ISP modem is currently doing DHCP seems to suit you then you could always just use the EA8500 as a WAP.
You can do about same such as VPN server / VPN client with it if setup as a (WAN disable) WAP same subnet as main modem ...
... but iffin it twas me I'd see about putting the ISP modem in bridge mode Twisted Evil
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:

All my research says to use cubic, if available on your build. Simply, it plays nice with other congestion control protocols and still offers nearly the best throughput. Cubic is the most widely accepted congestion control method used on most server farms to boot. Windows finally adopted it, but Linux has been on board with it for quite some time.

http://intronetworks.cs.luc.edu/1/html/newtcps.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_congestion_control
Quote:
According to Geoff Huston, BBR is efficient and fast, but highly unfair to other, non-BBR streams.[28] He calls it "not scalable" and says it "has the ability to slaughter concurrent loss-based flows". Hock, Bless and Zitterbart evaluated BBR's implementation in Linux 4.9 and confirmed the claimed features if used with one flow, but also found "some severe inherent issues such as increased queuing delays, unfairness, and massive packet loss".[29]

Soheil Abbasloo et al. show that BBR doesn't perform well in dynamic environments such as cellular networks.[9][10][30][31] They have also shown that BBR has a serious TCP-unfriendliness issue. For instance, when a CUBIC flow (which is the default TCP implementation in Linux, Android, and MacOS) coexists with a BBR flow in the network, the BBR flow can dominate the CUBIC flow and get the whole link bandwidth from it (see figure 18 in [31])

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
A router isn't a server farm, however, if I am not mistaken, *BSD uses cubic, if so configured, and since *BSD probably has as large, if not a larger footprint as Linux on servers globally, well. But is anyone even using cubic on their routers? I see a lot of folks using Westwood (including Kong). I just raised the question out of curiosity, anyway Wink Cool
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
A router isn't a server farm, however, if I am not mistaken, *BSD uses cubic, if so configured, and since *BSD probably has as large, if not a larger footprint as Linux on servers globally, well. But is anyone even using cubic on their routers? I see a lot of folks using Westwood (including Kong). I just raised the question out of curiosity, anyway Wink Cool

I'm not sure why BS settled on Westwood, other than to monopolize torrent speed, but you should use cubic. Unless you have satellite, and then you use hybla.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800] resting
m0mo_
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
My cable modem is a modem only - it does not include a wifi router so I don't think there is a bridge mode to it. The 8500 is handling everything including DHCP.

I've tried looking at the link "Best QCA Wifi settings to use" but it doesn't seem to lead to any settings

@msoengineer is there another link?
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
m0mo_ wrote:
My cable modem is a modem only - it does not include a wifi router so I don't think there is a bridge mode to it. The 8500 is handling everything including DHCP.

I've tried looking at the link "Best QCA Wifi settings to use" but it doesn't seem to lead to any settings

@msoengineer is there another link?

You must not be signed in to the forums when you looked, there's several pictures with explicit settings and reasoning why to use certain settings. You'll only see the images if you've signed in first.

[R7800] resting
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:

Not related to OT but anyways just to clarify:
I am now using bbr on the EA8500 and it seems pretty damnn good.
Previous time I checked was 'bout a year back but AFAIK BS made some changes to it few weeks back Very Happy
m0mo_
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks - I was able to see the images now and have replicated the settings. That said, I'm still experiencing the same speeds through different devices.

Hardwired through the 8500 I get 460 Mbps
Wireless (5.Cool I get 160 Mbps

I'm open to suggestions anyone has.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
m0mo_ wrote:
Thanks - I was able to see the images now and have replicated the settings. That said, I'm still experiencing the same speeds through different devices.

Hardwired through the 8500 I get 460 Mbps
Wireless (5.Cool I get 160 Mbps

I'm open to suggestions anyone has.

Firstly, what is your provisioned speed from your ISP; you mentioned 300/10 in your first post, yet wired direct to your modem you're getting 480/20? That's crazy over-provisioning by your ISP... most will only go an extra 20% to assure you get the "advertised" speed.

Next, what is your client card/wifi that's connecting to the router....it sounds like you're only using a 1x1 stream capable card.... we need a lot more info about your setup before we can offer advice. You need to do some homework about all your clients and the type of wifi stream they can do. Most devices can only do 2x2 at best...and a lot of stuff 2+yrs old is only 1x1 stream capable which makes things even more shittastic.... get back to us with details and we can try to help. See my signature to learn more about MCS speeds.

[R7800] resting
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: