WAP54G WAN <-> LAN port switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
prlw1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:21    Post subject: WAP54G WAN <-> LAN port switch Reply with quote
Thanks to the excellent documentation at

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WAP54G

I just installed

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36247 micro (06/29/18)

on a WAP54G v2 which was running

Firmware: v2.08, May 13, 2004, ETSI

[side notes: the upgrade flash button on is on the "Help" tab as there doesn't appear to be an "Administration" tab, and I hit the "You cannot downgrade the firmware" problem for which the instructions on the wiki page worked nicely]

I am however unclear about the last part:

Quote:

IMPORTANT: DD-WRT firmware will turn these units into NAT routers,
similar to a 2MB flash WRT54G. However, the wireless interface and the
ethernet interface are reversed. The firmware considers the wireless
interface the WAN interface, and the ethernet interface the LAN
interface. Thus, you cannot substitute one of these units for a regular
WRT54G in NAT mode. ' You CAN use it as a gateway router, routing
between subnets with NAT switched off, or as an access point, or as a
LAN-to-wireless bridge.
* Reverse it by changing the WAN port assignment.
* Go to Setup -> Networking -> Port Setup
* Change the WAN port assignment twice: first to br0, and then change
it again to vlan0.
* Now the ethernet is the WAN, and wireless is the LAN.

Does this mean that after reversing the WAN port assignement one can use the WAP as a NAT gw afterall?

No vlans are defined, so I don't understand change to br0 followed by vlan0.

In status & networking I see

Quote:

LAN MAC: ...:02
WAN MAC: ...:03
Wireless MAC: ...:04

eth0: ...:02
eth1: ...:04

br0 interface eth0 eth1
br0 root mac ...:02

I don't really see what to do, especially as for instance selecting br0 in the web interface will then stop my connection - maybe there is a way [how?] via the command line?

Or is this what the first part
Quote:

If you really want your WAP to have the correct MAC address when it
boots up there are 2 methods

is about?

(I suppose I could set up a dhcp server on the laptop's wireless interface and hope the WAP54G would pick up an ip number.)

Any suggestions gratefully received!

=================================================
Update: in Setup -> Networking -> Port Setup -> WAN port assignment, I set it to eth0.

I am now writing this using the WAP54G as a router.
(surprised as eth0 then disappeared from br0 so how are packets getting from eth0 to eth1)

Comments on whether this is The Right Way would be good.
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 18:08    Post subject: Re: WAP54G WAN <-> LAN port switch Reply with quote
prlw1 wrote:
I just installed... 36247 micro (06/29/1Cool ...on a WAP54G v2...

Does this mean that after reversing the WAN port assignment one can use the WAP as a NAT gw after all? [...]
Or is this what the... "WAP to have the correct MAC address" ...part is about? [...]

=================================================
Update: in Setup -> Networking -> Port Setup -> WAN port assignment, I set it to eth0.

I am now writing this using the WAP54G as a router.
(surprised as eth0 then disappeared from br0 so how are packets getting from eth0 to eth1)
What it is saying is that you can use that procedure to have a gateway router (route b/w subnets) but there will be no NAT (firewall). The normal usage for DD on that would be to disable WAN/firewall/DHCP, set router mode to router, set the wan port as LAN, and use it as an AP, Client Bridge, or Repeater Bridge.
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

The MAC stuff is because the change to DD replaces the original MAC with a default, so the two methods are ways to temporarily (via nvram) or permanently (via hex-editing the CFE defaults) change it to the original (printed on the router label).

I don't have this model, so can't speak to the effect of the change you made. Smile

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
prlw1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 18:16    Post subject: Re: WAP54G WAN <-> LAN port switch Reply with quote
Quote:

What it is saying is that you can use that procedure to have a gateway router (route b/w subnets) but there will be no NAT (firewall). The normal usage for DD on that would be to disable WAN/firewall/DHCP, set router mode to router, set the wan port as LAN, and use it as an AP, Client Bridge, or Repeater Bridge.
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

Puzzled: if no NAT is involved, how do replies get back to the 192.168.1.142 address my laptop got from the WAP54G?

Quote:

The MAC stuff is because the change to DD replaces the original MAC with a default, so the two methods are ways to temporarily (via nvram) or permanently (via hex-editing the CFE defaults) change it to the original (printed on the router label).

After the change of firmware, the mac address is exactly the same! (?!)

Thanks for the reply!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: