Can't hard reset to clear username password etc. [SOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
casmc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 15:17    Post subject: Can't hard reset to clear username password etc. [SOLVED] Reply with quote
Hello to all.
I am sorry, but I am completely new to this. I have had a look around the forum to the best of my ability but can’t locate what I need.
I have a TP-Link Archer C9v1 and have installed what I believe to be the correct firmware update, factory-to-ddwrt.bin. The upgrade went well (or as expected) and it completed correctly. I have subsequently made an error with the username and password (possibly caused by me not doing a 30/30/30 reset at the beginning and cannot enter past the first page of the GUI.
I can access 192.168.1.1 and in the top corner it says:
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r40634 std (08/14/19)
Time: 16:08:22 up 5 min, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.00
WAN IP: 192.168.0.113
If I try to go to any tab it asks for the username and password. I am unable to pass this point. The standard reset for the Archer C9 appears to be pressing the reset/wps key for around 6 seconds and it should work. This does nothing. I have then tried the 30/30/30 reset as instructed maintaining the same reset/wps button depressed for 30 sec whilst on continued for 30 secs unplugged and then a further 30 secs when powered back up. Unfortunately this doesn’t do anything. I am able to return to the initial web gui page but the standard username and password does not give me access. I have tried root as a username and admin as the password; also a blank username and pretty much anything else I could think of
Does anyone know of another way to “break” in to the Archer C9 v1 or to simply reset it?

Last edited by casmc on Fri Aug 16, 2019 16:55; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TP_Link_Archer_C9#TP-Link_Archer_C9_v1 <-- well this is f*cking wrong. You don't 30-30-30 a Broadcom ARM router. IF DD-WRT follows stock firmware, then you should hold it for 10 seconds while powered up and release: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/426/ <-- but, keep in mind that DD-WRT default router ip is usually 192.168.1.1 and user/pass is root/admin.
casmc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 15:38    Post subject: thank you for the fast response Reply with quote
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply so quickly. following your first link for the v1 router it says to perform the 30/30/30 reset.
It seems clear that the firmware has installed I just can't get into anything other than the first page and I don't know of any other way to reset the router.
I have tried the various combinations of username and password.
I have also tried the reset/wps button holding for 10 seconds and much longer too. It appears not to have any effect.
I am hoping that someone may be able to make another suggestion as to how to reset the router so that I can progress a little.
Thanks again for your help
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 16:07    Post subject: Re: thank you for the fast response Reply with quote
casmc wrote:
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply so quickly. following your first link for the v1 router it says to perform the 30/30/30 reset.

Which is totally wrong, you do not do a 30-30-30 on a Broadcom ARM router, otherwise you risk bricking it. Do you remember what your old user/password was? Or did you completely forget what you set them to? I'm kind of out of ideas outside of tftp flashing the oem factory firmware and trying to convert to DD-WRT again. I will look and see if I can find any reports of the reset button being broken on that router...
casmc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply. I will try the tftp flashing method. I have tried my old passwords etc. without success. Just a bit frustrated at the moment. I do appreciate your time and will let you know if I'm successful or not.
Many thanks
casmc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Again, Sorry to keep coming back!
I started the tftp route, but got thwarted as the router won't go into recovery mode as that is the mode you get by pressing the reset button.
The most frustrating thing is that the router is actually working in that my pc is connected to it and it is then passing on to the modem gateway. It seems to ignore all external physical buttons (you can't turn off the WIFI either using he wifi on/off button).
If you think of anything you believe may be helpful I'd be very grateful, but please don't waste too much of your time; I don't wish to be a burden.
Thank you
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Tftp_flash <-- applicable except for the 30-30-30. You can push stock firmware this way and start over.

Extreme worst case is serial recovery:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_Recovery <-- at least to the point of breaking the boot process and clearing nvram and rebooting.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some more reading:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279560 < revert to stock

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=282831 < the all-inclusive c9 thread

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283784 < debricking info

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=993376 < gpio pins info

There are a lot of posts saying to 30-30-30, but AFAIK, you aren't supposed to do that on a Broadcom ARM device or you risk bricking it. Maybe this is an exception, but if it's not working to reset it and the reset button doesn't work....
casmc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Many thanks; I'll have a look.If I don't have any luck then I have a router heading off to router heaven!
I really appreciate all your effort and have my fingers crossed. I'll let you know if I have any luck.
I have tried the 30/30/30 reset, but as far as I can tell it is not actually doing anything at all as the reset button is completely ignored. It's as if it's not there. Unfortunately pretty much everything I've tried so far involves the reset button being functional.
Cheers for now, Carl
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I stumbled across this ticket. Did you set a wi-fi password? It could be that this issue is still a problem... of course, the device in the ticket *is* Atheros, but nothing would surprise me.

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6514
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe I missed this but are you able to telnet into the router?
User will always be root, Password could be what you set or admin or....

As far as 30-30-30 goes:
jwh7 wrote:
30/30/30 is an ancient relic of early WRT54G days. If you backpack into remote prehistoric caves on the outskirts of Dresden in Germany, you can still find "30/30/30" carved into the stone with bone fragments.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1167641#1167641

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
casmc wrote:
The standard reset for the Archer C9 appears to be pressing the reset/wps key for around 6 seconds and it should work. This does nothing.
For OEM f/w, but not in DD which requires 10s to reset. If you really already tried a 30-30-30 though this should have already happened. You have held the reset button for 30s w/ DD running? But ya, try telnet; I've had the GUI block access before while telnet still works. Then you can clear the password via nvram, or (better) just `nvram erase && reboot`.
kernel-panic69 wrote:
You don't 30-30-30 a Broadcom ARM router.
Wiki is fixed. Wink
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the party, bushant and jwh7.... Razz Rolling Eyes Cool Wink I am hoping this doesn't have anything to do with the driver issue crashing things on ARM, if I was following the commits right.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been interested here because my son-in-law has this router and I am petrified to try DD-WRT on the Broadcom.

I have also wondered if this a case where only certain factory-ddwrt builds will work as with some others.

If I was going to try it I would probably start with 26081 as noted min usable on Supported Devices page.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
I am petrified to try DD-WRT on the Broadcom.
Lol; tru dat. I have a C8, still on OEM. Neutral The OEM WDS works very well; connects to other chipsets in open mode no problem. My neighbors (on fiber) and I (cable) have an agreement to share each others internet in the case the others ISP goes down. Cool
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: