Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 15:45 Post subject: WRT32x - device freeze after apply WiFi security settings
After some time with openWRT, I switched to DD-WRT.
Procedure I have done is:
Reset open-wrt to default
1. reset open-wrt to default settings.
2. rebooting to stock partition
3. firmware upgrade with "FW_WRT32X_1.0.666_DDWRT.img" thus override openwrt partition with dd-wrt initial image.
4. booting into dd-wrt, setting pass
5. switch partition to alternate
6. update initial dd-wrt with r40554 release "FW_WRT32X_1.0.666_DDWRT.img"
7. All good, set wifi with no pass -> able to connect to router wirelessly ..., everything worked.
8. Setting security options WPA Personal +WPA 2 Personal + WPA 3 Personal. On submit router frozen, not able to respond to link .. nothing.
9. manually rebooted router ... came back, able to access the UI via UTP, WIFI seemed active, but completely not being seen by any device.
I have tried multiple combinations, reflash, nvram resets ... nothing, every time I touch security settings, either becomes frozen, either there is a problem.
Small additional information:
I had DD-WRT installed, and fully functional, but due to some ... junior misunderstandings I managed also to flash both partitions with dd-wrt and then return to stock firmware on the 2nd partition and open-wrt on 1st partition. The dd-wrt is now installed on the 1st partition, where OpenWrt was installed.
Now ... please advice on how to solve this issue, please.
I have remade the whole setup:
Partition 1: official stock firmware for wrt32x
Partition 2: DD-WRT v3.0-r40559 std
so I have retried now with with just one AP to set the security options (WPA, WPA2, WPA3 all personal) + AES. On submit ... router froze. NOTHING .. this is becoming frustrating (.
Combination WPA Personal (1,2,3) + WPA Ent (1,2,3) -> router not responsive
I have managed to remove WPA3 Personal along with WPA Ent (1,2,3). I let only WPA Personal and WPA2 Personal and seems to work now.
However, I really would like to understand what is happening. HELP!
I'm in the same boat too. I got the wrt32x a few weeks ago due to the specs and checking that I can flash it to dd-wrt. I guess I did not do enough research before buying the router, as I am now finding out that no matter what settings I use, as soon as I enable the wireless security the router freezes and I can't connect to it. Even the wired connection becomes buggered up when the security is enabled.