"Client Mode" to "Bridged" ISP Modem?

Timmy1024
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:51    Post subject: "Client Mode" to "Bridged" ISP Modem? Reply with quote
Hi everybody, I hope you are doing very well!

I'm searching around for this information without luck. I've successfully bridged (Client Mode on one of the 5.0 GHz bands of the Netgear R8000 running latest Kong build) with my ISP mode, while the modem is running as a router; will all its settings and such. Everything works OK and I have internet access from devices connected to the R8000.

Now, what I'm trying to achieve is setting my ISP modem in Bridge Mode and maintain the current setup. Of course, when I enable the "Bridge Mode" in the ISP modem, it restarts with pretty much every functionality/tab disabled, since it's not running the DHCP, NAT, etc.; it doesn't provide an IP to any of the devices connected and doesn't route traffic to the internet.

My question then is (and I've searched for similar cases in Google but found anything), is it possible to keep the current "Client Mode" bridge set-up in the DD-WRT R8000 router, while specifying some extra parameters (static IP for itself, DNS servers and whatever else is needed) in order for it to continue routing traffic through the ISP modem and all the devices behind it keep internet access? If so, would you please point me on how to achieve that?

This is my use case by the way. The ISP left the modem outside my main house; very far out of reach. That modem doesn't have any clients attached to it besides the R8000 DD-WRT 5.0 GHz band set as a "Client Mode" connection to it. The idea is to make it the "only router of the house" (so all the devices are connected to the R8000) and I want to set the ISP modem in Bridge Mode becase A) it reduces complexity, I want to have a "dumb" box there with no further functionality B) would help me out later to manage port forwarding and such.

One thing that leads me to believe that this might be possible is that, when enabling "Bridge Mode" in the ISP modem, the only tab available left is the Wireless tab. It's wireless networks continue to be up, I can connect to it but I still don't get access to internet because I'm probably missing something to configure. If it isn't the case, then why the ISP router leaves the Wireless tab enabled, functioning and transmitting? What would be the point of connecting via Wireless to a Bridged Router if there wasn't a way to get to the internet by configuring something in the client connecting to it?

What I've tried to see what else I'm missing to configure is to connect a Windows computer to one of its LAN ports (through cable, obviously). In the Windows Network Settings I've configured the static IP, subnet, DNS. I can then access the router web GUI (because I gave myself a static IP; if not it wouldn't work), but I still don't get access to the internet from that computer. What else am I missing to configure? Question

Perhaps this can't be done at all; I'm no expert at networking. If so, please let me know too Smile

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide and have a wonderful weekend!

EDIT: I feel a little closer of achieving this! After changing the setting in the main tab to "Static IP" and defining one in the same subnet as the modem, rebooting, I'm able to access the bridged modem Web GUI through the DD-WRT wl0 "Client Mode" wireless connection to it, from computers connected to the DD-WRT router! Still, Internet doesn't work from those computers. What service/setting am I still missing in the DDWRT Router that will allow the clients connected to it to route internet traffic through the bridged ISP modem? Shocked
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your ISP may require PPPoE.

Set the WAN port on dd-wrt to PPPoE. It may be necessary to use a cable.
Timmy1024
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply Per.

Isn't PPPoE for the old DSL/ADSL type, that acts like a dialer with an username and password, to connect to the ISP? Mine isn't; it's cable modem, coaxial cable going and connecting straight to a Sagemcom Fast 3686 ISP provided modem.

Thanks and please let me know if I misunderstood what you meant.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set the modem to Bridge Mode
Connect the WAN port of the router to LAN1 on the modem
Set router to DHCP

It that does not work, I don't know.
Timmy1024
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again Per.

I can't connect a cable between the two devices because they are too far away and that's not something possible in my home set-up. That's why I'm doing the "Client Mode" connection between wl0 of the DD-WRT router and the Wi-Fi of the ISP modem/router.

What I'm trying to achieve now is to have that connection working after the ISP modem/router is set to bridge mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: