[TP-LINK WR841ND v7] Reverting to Stock firmware (SOLVED)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Pok_Madui
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:55    Post subject: [TP-LINK WR841ND v7] Reverting to Stock firmware (SOLVED) Reply with quote
Hello,
I'm using r40527 on this router, and I just found out that QoS doesn't work on my router and with this release. Since QoS is the only reason for me to use dd-wrt at the moment, I wish to revert back to stock firmware, but all my attempts weren't successful.

-Tried using the webrevert files, from several different browsers and computers - The process takes around 20 minutes and eventually gives an error: "Upgrade failed"
-Tried flashing stock firmware via tftp (using this video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_qZLOMvFLA) - failed

I've searched the wiki and could not find a guide or tutorial on how to do this. OpenWrt wiki has some info on reverting back to stock but it involves using a serial connection which I cannot try at the moment.

Is there anyway to do this or is the router dd-wrt for good?

Last edited by Pok_Madui on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:23; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Jovan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 22:01    Post subject: Re: [TP-LINK WR841ND v7] Reverting to Stock firmware Reply with quote
Pok_Madui wrote:
Hello,
-Tried flashing stock firmware via tftp (using this video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_qZLOMvFLA) - failed

That TFTP method should work, I used it succesfully on my WR841ND v11 (reverting from OpenWRT). Are you sure you did everything right?
Pok_Madui
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I'm pretty sure i did everything right... followed the video step by step. When I turn on the router after a couple of seconds the tftp server reverts to the "software rollback" mode and doesn't show any progress bar (unlike what's shown in the video). Besides, the stickied thread for the webrevert files mentions that those files are needed for routers that have a very short tftp window, and indeed wr841nd shows up there, albeit versions 1 to 7 (v8 and up do not have a webrevert file in that thread).

I think r40527 messed up the web flashing feature on my router... I could not recover, downgrade or upgrade using webflash, every attempt to do one of those things yields the "Upgrade failed" message.

Is there maybe a way to flash via another method? Tried via SSH but couldn't get it to work...
Jovan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try this tutorial, actually this is what I followed, maybe it has some extra information.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k1sxwX5pMk
Make sure you rename the original factory firmware you are trying to flash to wr841nv7_tp_recovery.bin. In the video is used wr841nv9_tp_recovery.bin because the guy has a v9 router.
zen1932
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
suppose you have already downloaded the revert rar and
unzipped.

suppose you put the revert file under your ftp server,
maybe the CLI upgrade is the solution:

cd /tmp
wget ftp://yourtftpserver/wr841nv7_webrevert.bin
write wr841nv7_webrevert.bin linux
reboot
Pok_Madui
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
zen1932 wrote:
unzipped.

cd /tmp
reboot

Thanks! That definitely did it Smile

The hard part was getting the file inside my router... Tried SCP with my linux machine but I think there was some kind of permission problem... Eventually I resorted to WinSCP on my Win10 PC and it did the trick. Proceeded to write the file like you said and it worked like a charm.

Thank you very much!
zen1932
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pok_Madui wrote:
zen1932 wrote:
unzipped.

cd /tmp
reboot

Thanks! That definitely did it Smile

The hard part was getting the file inside my router... Tried SCP with my linux machine but I think there was some kind of permission problem... Eventually I resorted to WinSCP on my Win10 PC and it did the trick. Proceeded to write the file like you said and it worked like a charm.

Thank you very much!

My apology for your pain, the next time, just wget a build from ddwrt download base that can do GUI upgrade and just upload the webrevert file.
the last that can do the GUI upgrade is build 40459.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: