Linksys wrt1900ac v1 keeps rebooting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
bacco
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:30    Post subject: Linksys wrt1900ac v1 keeps rebooting Reply with quote
Greteings everyone,
I have tried almost all the fw in the dd-wrt router database and also the very latest build: r38253
No matter what... my router reboots very frequently!
I have the feeling (but cant really confirm that) it is the OpenVPN client configured on the wrt1900ac that is causing the issue.
It seems that if I disable it, I might have no reboots.
I say I cant confirm that as I often need the VPN and after an hour or 2 without VPN, I have to set it back on.

I read a lot about wrt1900ac random reboots and there are many suggestions out there. None worked!
I also tried to change the max CPU fan temperature (as someone suggested) , to avoid some sort of overheating, but beside having more fan noise, I did not get any benefits from it.
Is there anyone out-here that has experienced the same and has a solution or someone that just is aware of the issue and knows a solution?

If not
Anyone knows how to revert to stock FW to than move to Openwrt?
Or is it simply possible to flash Openwrt directly from DD-WRT? (also under this topic there are several suggestions.. but could not find a proper answer)

Thank you for your help.
Bacco
Sponsor
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you disabled SFE (Shortcut Forwarding Engine) on the Setup tab, as this does cause reboots on the WRT1900AC v1?

I am running that same firmware on my v1 without issue.

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/
bacco
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Yemble, thanks for your reply.
I will check as soon as I get home. Thanks for the suggestion.
Ps do you run open on 24/7 as well?
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:49    Post subject: WRT1900V1 Reboots Reply with quote
I don't use OPENVPN so I can't surmise your situation. I do however have two 1900V1's which are running flawlessly as WDS clients loaded with about 20 cameras and sensing/control devices 500' away in my bar. Current temperature at the barn location of my router -35C.

I have encountered numerous problems with the 1900V1 over the years and recently found that any later than r37139 causes all kinds of strange problems.

I did try out OPENWRT last year. All that is required is that you update via GUI with the most recent stock firmware and then from the stock you can loaqd OPENWRT.

As far as the fan control, the problems with range were corrected quite a while back and the stock settings work well.

If you are overheating you might want to check for a buildup of dust in the router. I blow mine out with "Dust Off" periodically along with all my electronics. Even during the summer months my 1900's are always < 70C and usually below 60C.

What I have found recently, is that my master 3200 would drop 5Ghz and actuall lock up periodically. Also many of the 1900 clients were dropping and reconnecting frequently. What I did was change my 2.4ghz settings on all routers to 20mgz and ensure that there was no overlay of channels causing interference. This seems to have solved the problem which was driving me nuts thinking that either the hardware or firmware was causing the problems.

In so far as your problem, it may not be related to OPENVPN, but rather a symptom of something else not right. Not sure how well OPENVPN works on r37139 but everything else is stable. What I found when I moved to OPENWRT was that I had no improvement so I reverted back to stock to DD-WRT.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

WRT3200acm r55819 WDS Station 5Ghz
Ath1 AP N/G Mixed Channel 11 HT40

WRT1900Ac V1 5Ghz r55819 WDS Station
(Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS Station r55819
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS-AP r55819
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro AP CH 6 Mixed - Not in use

3200 Master -> LAN -> 1900ACS -> WDS 5Ghz -> 1900 V1
3200 Master -> WDS -> 3200 Slave & 1900V1
bacco
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
WENED, just desabled it. I will figure out if that changed something.
Interestingly enough, I came across this post:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=313310&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
In this article there is one post that actually mentions the SFE non needed when on VPN... need to re read to give you the correct text!
Lets see.
Some how SFE seems to be a useful process. But only when does not gives problem of course.
Lets see...
bacco
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
bacco wrote:
WENED, just desabled it...

Sorry I meant to say Yemble.

Wened, I in fact did not think the fan settings would make a different. just gave it a try as I was trying anything....
I am also very suprised that this wrt1900ac act so unstable. Its supposed to be a VERY good router.
This evening I will spend more time playing with my network and see how the router will behave after the change I just made.

One thing looks like to be a common demonstrator; as soon as a device begins a network activity, the router reboots (PS it reboots cause I activate the watchdog. If not enabled, the router would simply stay in a non functional state and have to manually do that)
I do use this router well; I have the NAST and SBM active. I had transmission activated but I turned that off thinking it was too much to ask.
The router has so many nice features... I am not sure it can keep up with too many of those at the same time on.
I would assume it should as they are available... but... lets see if I first resolve the disconnection issue.
bacco
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 15:24    Post subject: Re: WRT1900V1 Reboots Reply with quote
WENED wrote:

In so far as your problem, it may not be related to OPENVPN, but rather a symptom of something else not right. ...

you might be correct, but in a post of the above mentioned link, Labo mentioned:
"...You can enable both SFE and QoS as I'm using it( thanks to Tatsuya46 and mrjcd ). But does it help?... very difficult to prove with VPN in place.
"
Implying that with VPN enabled the SFE is probably irrilevant... but again... I might have got that wrong!!!
What do you think?
bacco
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Follow up!!
it does not seems to have solved the problem!
My Connection Watchdog is on with 120 second check interval. That makes the reboot as soon as it realizes there is no internet. Without it, I would remain in a state of no internet and manually have to reboot.
The only thing that seems to make a LITTLE difference is the openVPN; without it my reboots are less frequent.
I keep thinking that an other element is as soon as new device wakes up and request data, the router goes down...
All this is very annoying but I have no solutions so far.. probably just getting a new router.
Any new options from anyone in this forum would be welcome.
PS
Anyway to have a log from ddwrt router that contain a fault just before the the problem? That would help troubleshooting the situation
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
One thing looks like to be a common demonstrator; as soon as a device begins a network activity, the router reboots (PS it reboots cause I activate the watchdog. If not enabled, the router would simply stay in a non functional state and have to manually do that)

Check out my recent post regarding interference;

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=318372

I recently had my 3200 reboot in the middle of the night and when I checked Syslog I saw that there wer multiple pages of re-negotiation taking place. I have reduced my system to 2 AP's and run 20mhz only. The syslogs on all routers are virtually clean except for devices that power off automatically. The only negotiation takes place immediately at boot and remains stable on all my routers.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

bacco
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
WENED wrote:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=318372

I recently had my 3200 reboot in the middle of the night and when I checked Syslog I saw that there wer multiple pages of re-negotiation taking place. I have reduced my system to 2 AP's and run 20mhz only. The syslogs on all routers are virtually clean except for devices that power off automatically. The only negotiation takes place immediately at boot and remains stable on all my routers.

Hi wened,
I dont have many APs connecting to my linksys, actually only clients and not so many after all.maybe 2 phones nd 3 laptops (maybe) at one given time.
I keep using the latest ddwrt fw for this router.
I must say I am running out of options.
I use SMB, NAS, some configuration on Additional Dnsmasq Options:
local=/lan/
cache-size=100
expand-hosts
listen-address=127.0.0.1,192.168.x.x
OpenVPN client constantly on.
All I noticed is that I have less (not none) connections lost when not on VPN. Sometimes almost feels like the issue is gone.
End of story, I purchased a new router; netgear r7800 nighthawk X4S.
Will put on dd-wrt and I hope I will solve my problems. CNet review gives gis router better performances than the linksys wrt. (not on ddwrt! But I expect will be also better performing on dd-wrt).
I still hope for a FW that will solve all those wrt1900ac v1 issues (that I read many others also have).
Till than... I will switch to Netgear rt7800

thanks for your help anyway. I appreciate your answers and trying to help.
Bacco
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:01    Post subject: Random Reboots Reply with quote
I realize it was quite a while ago when this thread was active, but here is an update which might be helpful for anyone having reboot concerns.

Over the past few months I have been reasonably stable right up till the outside temperatures rose. I began getting random reboots on my 1900 in the barn.

I thought I was having an overheating problem and when I checked the router I discovered the fan was sometimes not starting or was quite hesitant. So I replaced the fan. Should he left well enough alone, There have been posts about how easy it is to replace, well it's not. Instead of heat sink compound Linksys uses thermal tape which doesn't make for easy removal. In the process of replacing the fan I managed to damage the radio connection and now have a 1900 with only 5Ghz. It works fine as a client for a couple of my non-wireless cameras but thinks that there is no 2.4Ghz radio.
Anyway, I used one of my other 1900's in the barn and it also rebooted randomly. I played with the settings, tried different builds, changed the power pack and even tried a third 1900. None of which changed the problem.
I setup remote syslog to try to capture the problem since every time I would check the syslog it would be reset by the reboot. What I noticed was high activity restarts on my ESP8266 devices. I thought only the 3200/32X had a problem with these, but I put them on their own VAP anyway. This seemed to help with the constant re-negotiation and the rooter ran a couple of days without a reboot.
Then last week the problem started all over again. At first I thought maybe brownouts so I setup a ups in the barn to monitor the power line. Reboots still occurring and no ups entries. One morning a couple of days ago I was watching my barn temperatures and just as my fans cut in (automatic on Sonoff), the router rebooted.
At this point I thought maybe a Router UPS would solve the problem and probably would but not having one handy, I dug through my electronics junk pile and found a 15VDC 10000uf capacitor which I placed across the power feed into the router.
I have been running now 3 days with fans cutting in/out regularly and no reboots.

my suggestion to others having random reboots;
If you have any appliances or electrical equipment which is high draw, especially on startup (motors) this may be your root problem. As I mentioned, a Router UPS < 50W capacity should be more than adequate to solve the problem.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

bacco
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi WENED,
thanks for your input.
Question: your DD-WRT, what sort of IP receives as a WAN?
Public (sort of 192.168.x.x) or Private?
In my view ans experience, this issue is not related to the linksys only.
As I explained, I have tested it in depth with several different routers brands with DD-WRT on it.

In all of my tests, I only had NO issues when I had a public IP as a WAN IP on my DD-WRT.

I could not believe it and tried again and again .. same results.

Since I use a Mikrotik router before my DD-WRT, and have the DD-WRT managing OPENVPN, I have no issues for months.

My DD-WRT receive a public ip from Mikrotik (192.168.x.x) and than manage the VPN. 0 ISUES ever since.
Behind the DDWRT I have the EXACT configuration and the same amount of devices as it was before.

I am a bit disappointed by it. I have DD-WRT for years but something got broken and I think got to do with a combination from how the WAN gets the private IP and the OPENVPN together.

No idea what!

I might will entirely migrate to Mikrotik (including OPENVPN settings). Is just convenient to keep is asit is now .. but is only a question of available time to configure Mikrotik that is more complex than DD-WRT.

I searched, tested , asked and changed...

I think most of the users have a ISP router and than add their own router with a public IP on the dd-wrt WAN. Therefore they feel no pain at all.

regards
Bacco
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: