Restoring nvrambak.bin get the route to factory default.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
daudet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 21:35    Post subject: Restoring nvrambak.bin get the route to factory default. Reply with quote
Hi been trying for 2 days searching the forum for a restore fail on Broadcom Base hardware.
Router is a Asus RT-N16 running V24SP2 08/12/10 Mega built 14929.

Usually every time i do a change i take a backup and rename it like so nvrambak-main-router Aug 2nd2019.bin
Today i decide to go back and restored my bin file
Once i log back to Router i was ask to set Login/password which i did.

But then quickly looking to my config everything was lost and back to default with WIFI enabled. I dont use Wifi on the main router.

Any clue what did happened? Could it be because of the bin file name that has space in it?

While writing this post i just did another backup and restored the Aug 3rd nvrambak.bin and same result, just before getting back to the login prompt i got a splash screen and did not had time to print screen but i was saying something like this, reloaded route with default config then got the "this router does not have login/password please set it up before going any further.
By the way i ham using Chrome as the browser

Kind of strange!!
thanks

(2.4G AP) WRT54G v24-sp2 STD build 13064M VINT Eko
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
A build that old, you may have to look to the old Broadcom Customer Forum, which is 'obsolete', I think. This is why it has always been taboo voodoo to backup and restore like this - which I believe is mentioned in one of the stickies (Peacock thread), if I recall right. I know most of the builds I have used (21061/21676 and up) haven't had this issue. Not sure if Chrome is to be faulted or not, but I don't think this is a 'new' issue by any means. Maybe someone else can further clarify.
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
i still have this build running on a spare linksys wrt160nv3 and the restore works fine.

i'd say try a different browser or pc, maybe change the file name before you restore (the spaces you mentioned).

if that didnt work, what i would do next is to flash build 14929 again, do a 30-30-30 reset and try a restore to a working backup. is the nvram backup still within the routers nvram size limit?
daudet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks both of you for your reply,
I just did another test with a Linksys E4200 that is already at DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) mini - build 21061
Did 2 backup, one with Chrome and the other with FireFox.
Then i added a Virtual AP just to modify the config and save.
Then i took Firefox and restored the backup files taken with Chrome.
When i logged back in everything was there minus my Virtual AP that was not on the backup. So seem that it is working fine on the E4200. Will try again with Asus RT-N16.

By the way Router DB show that there is a new build.
see the attached picture. So i guess according to reading that i can upgrade to K3. Mega directly from the actual mini? or better to stick with K2.6 Mega?
Please confirm.

Again thanks. For your inputs.

12-Aug-19 09-46-35 PM.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.25 KB
 Viewed:  3104 Time(s)

12-Aug-19 09-46-35 PM.jpg

(2.4G AP) WRT54G v24-sp2 STD build 13064M VINT Eko
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been running K3.x since 35531 on my E4200. There are problems with the K2.6 builds that may affect functionality. Also, the K2.6 kernel has had no security patches for quite some time. It depends on intended use, I s'pose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: