2 mile range with DD-wrt @ WRT54G possible ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
usvi4me
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 20:52    Post subject: 2 mile range with DD-wrt @ WRT54G possible ? Reply with quote
I just installed dd-wrt (micro com) on the WRT54G v6.

I am wondering if this is possible ?

I live on a boat at anchor appr. 1.5 miles from a wi-fi connection. I would like to use the WRT54G as a wireless repeater so I can sit in the salon and access the internet without the network cable.

Can I put a 15dbi omni antenna outside (as we are constantly changing directions with tides and currents), hook it up to a 1w amplifier and the WRT54G ?

Questions are will I get the desired 2 mile range ?
Which antenna on the WRT54G do I hook up to the amp ? (Looking at the front with the lights - left or right)
Can this be done on micro dd-wrt ?

Appreciate any help/suggestions you may have.
Sponsor
dicksons
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
you'll probably want a directional antenna for your external rather than an omni so you can aim it - a panel with 30-degree beamwidth would be OK in your situation.

look at the specs on the amp for good receive gain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
dicksons,

Thank you for your reply.

Don't you think that with a directional antenna connections get lost as we continually swing at anchor. Depending on the trade winds, we swing as much as 90 degrees. In rainstorms the boat swins as much as 180 degrees.

Does it matter which antenna I disconnect on the WRT54G ?
stwebs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
With a 15 db gain Omni antenna depending on what design you can get up to 10 +-ERP . also you must look at where you put your antenna.. on a poll 20 feet or higher with AP close with the antenna cable as short as you can. this will reduce signal loss. looking at the router with the lights facing you the left antenna is the main antenna jack to the right is the aux antenna if your not using this jack you need to turn that antenna jack off.

you might also want to invest in a anteena for your laptop.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
usvi4me wrote:
Don't you think that with a directional antenna connections get lost as we continually swing at anchor. Depending on the trade winds, we swing as much as 90 degrees. In rainstorms the boat swins as much as 180 degrees.

If you're 1.5 miles away from a 30° directional antenna that's aimed properly, your boat would have to drift more than ±0.4 mile from the center of the signal area to leave the 30° range... does it really drift that much at anchor? Even a ±1/4 mile drift would keep you within 20° of the antenna. It doesn't matter what direction your boat's pointing, although if you set up a directional antenna for your computer on the boat, you may find yourself needing to reorient that periodically to maintain the signal.

Perhaps ideally you could set up a powerful directional antenna at the base station, and then an omni antenna on the boat. I don't know a whole lot about wireless, so I'd wait for someone more qualified than myself to provide clarification on what hardware you'd need, but hopefully my numbers are able to provide you with some guidance Smile
Dan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the 1st instance it will not matter which antenna connector you hook upto. Just leave the other connected. Later you can switch it off after you have determined which it is.

(2) Get a high gain directional antenna something you can steer easily. Maybe a panel will do?

(3) See what the Rx is like. Boosting your signal will do nothing to improve your Rx.
If reception is marginal try increasing the power output from your WRT by 50%.

The panels do not have such a tight beam so small variations may not be a problem.

A 2nd anchor could be your cheapest option. Laughing
billbahamas
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
What kind of equipment is at your wifi source? I am at anchor and have solved all of your problems over the past 2 years of trying different configs. I have 4 boats over 6-7 sq. miles that move around the anchorages. I use a 120 degree sector antenna on shore to a 1 watt amp (less will work) to a Buffalo WHR-G125. We don't need amps on the boats as the amp on shore has 12db rec gain. The boats have either 8 or 15 db omni. We also use Buffalo WHR-G125 as client devices on the boats. with dd-wrt. They are cheap and well work in repeater mode. Good luck.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really really envy u guys!!! living on a boat! kind of a dreamy situation!
I don't know why u want wifi if u can go to and island and spend all day in the sand with the sun Cool !!! probably with a beautifull woman too... Wink
But well... paradise with internet doenst sound bad either... Bastards!! hehe
Good luck with the antena thing! I'll be here in my little house envying you!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
mauxiliar wrote:
I really really envy u guys!!! living on a boat! kind of a dreamy situation!
I don't know why u want wifi if u can go to and island and spend all day in the sand with the sun Cool !!! probably with a beautifull woman too... Wink
But well... paradise with internet doenst sound bad either... Bastards!! hehe
Good luck with the antena thing! I'll be here in my little house envying you!

After 20 years of this I would probable trade you for a small house or room as I don't get enough exercise and there was an ATM where Icould get my Soc. Sec. loot each month.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
place the beam/sector antenna on the shore router, where it is stable directionally, and use the gain omni on your boat. The beam/sector antenna will do no good if your boat swings so it is pointing away from the shore router. At that distance, an amp will not be needed.
Regards,
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: