WNDR3700v4 crashing when modem reconnects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
bdg2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 23:43    Post subject: WNDR3700v4 crashing when modem reconnects Reply with quote
I use these as switch / WiFi access point / ovpn server / QoS on upload / Dual Stack / Guest network on br1 / PPPoE connection to modem

Why do all recent builds (I've tried most builds back to back to r39572) crash if my PPPoE modem loses connection to my ISP??

The crash occurs after the connection returns just after the internet light on the router turns from orange to green and, I think, only occurs if my ISPs dynamic IP policy has assigned me a new IP address.

Surely this cannot be how dd-wrt is supposed to work in this case?

Please can anyone confirm or refute this behaviour with dd-wrt?

Ticket opened: https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6722

EDIT: It seems to be getting worse. With r40527 the router will loop rebooting several times!!

Last edited by bdg2 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:11; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
bdg2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
No comments at all?
Nobody at all prepared to agree or disagree with this?
bdg2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Come on people. Surely somebody has a view on whether this is a bug or intended behaviour or has noticed whether their router does the same or not?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only specific thing I recall since the one kong commit regarding ppp wan connections is updating pppd and rp-pppoe. How either would've broken the base code in DD-WRT, there is no telling. I literally would need a multi-80-inch-monitor setup to review point a to be without getting a headache.
bdg2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was hoping for "yes mine does that too", or "I've never had that happen myself".
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, you must be in the minority using a PPPoE wan connection, or, people have figured out a workaround. Unfortunately, <Kong> only builds IPQ Qualcomm stuff. But I was trying to put my finger on a cause, a specific repository commit, etc.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have cable, but taking a shot in the dark...Are you doing anything specific for NTP, like specifying a NTP server?

In recent builds if I specified a NTP server, weird things would happen with my WAN/DNS dropping out. I use NTP, just don't specify a server.

What's causing your modem to lose connection, or is it that the IP assignment times out and you have to renew?

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
bdg2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Well, you must be in the minority using a PPPoE wan connection, or, people have figured out a workaround. Unfortunately, <Kong> only builds IPQ Qualcomm stuff. But I was trying to put my finger on a cause, a specific repository commit, etc.

What other way is there of connecting a modem?

You could just use ethernet with DHCP but that does not cope with dynsmic IP, you would have to msnually reboot the router if your ISP changed your IP address.

Last edited by bdg2 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:12; edited 2 times in total
bdg2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
I have cable, but taking a shot in the dark...Are you doing anything specific for NTP, like specifying a NTP server?

In recent builds if I specified a NTP server, weird things would happen with my WAN/DNS dropping out. I use NTP, just don't specify a server.

What's causing your modem to lose connection, or is it that the IP assignment times out and you have to renew?

I have VDSL2.

Yes I specify 2.uk.pool.ntp.org.

What you describe is totally bizarre.

I think if I don't switch things off and on myself my ISP only changes my IP about once a week, maybe even longer.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
bdg2 wrote:
What other way is there of connecting a modem?

You could just use ethernet with DHCP but that does not cope with dynsmic IP, you would have to msnually reboot the router if your ISP changed your IP address.

Depends on the provider. When I had DSL, it was DHCP, no PPPoE required, that I recall. The only problem I had was OpenBSD networking and packet filter didn't quite like it when they changed my WAN IP address, so I had to devise a script to check things and restart things on the fly. Most providers I know that use DHCP, it's usually a static lease, but it can be 100% dynamic, and Linux isn't usually affected, or used to not be. I *never* had issues with my Slackware box that was connected to the cable modem if the WAN ip address changed, but TrinityOS firewall was probably more forgiving, perhaps.

In regards to ntpclient in DD-WRT, after my most recent crash/brick, I left the field blank, but if I were to enter anything, it would be an IP address. Otherwise, the hard-coded ntp server(s) are ok, but if you choose the wrong time zone setting, it may not give the correct time. I think this problem possibly relates to the folks wanting local syslog times, and I will leave my thoughts on that out for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: