Problem with installing external USB hard drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Today I tried to install the latest dd-wrt firmware on my Linksys wrt 1900acs v2 router. The installation failed for some reason and after installation I still had the 39144 version installed.

What could be wrong with the latest version not being successfully installed?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mazufa wrote:
Today I tried to install the latest dd-wrt firmware on my Linksys wrt 1900acs v2 router. The installation failed for some reason and after installation I still had the 39144 version installed.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320696
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
The latest one is too large for partition two. It has to be installed in partition one. See the Cliff Notes sticky at the beginning of this forum for how todo that.
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Mazufa wrote:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320696

I have successfully upgraded to the latest version of my DD-WRT firmware as shown in this picture! Smile

Many thanks for your help! Smile

mrk67422
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read this story with pleasure.
Everyone was very involved.
How did it end? Were you able to install usb drives on this router?
ruprect
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
, so taking care to unmount before powering down the router is appropriate.

It would be nice if a button was added in the GUI under the NAS section to unmount drives.

or have I missed it somewhere ?
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the OP's router (and mine), the Linksys WRT1900ACSv2, the USB tab in the GUI has an item "Use SES Button to remove drives" that, if enabled, will turn the blue SES button on the back of the router on the side opposite the power cord - on our routers labeled with two Amazon arrows chasing each other - into an unmount-drives button. You have to hold it down for a few seconds to be sure it does the unmounting.

To set this up, I suspect "Reset Button" must also be enabled in GUI>Administration>Management and that "Turning off radio" in "SES / AOSS / EZ-SETUP / WPS Button" in GUI>Services>Services must be disabled, but I haven't tested this.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
ruprect
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
In the OP's router (and mine), the Linksys WRT1900ACSv2, the USB tab in the GUI has an item "Use SES Button to remove drives" that, if enabled, will turn the blue SES button on the back of the router on the side opposite the power cord

Same on mine but I was looking for something other then physically walking to the router, then walking back to my computer to check it's been done then walking back to physically turn it off.

On my old ASUS factory firmware equipped router there was a button in the GUI that (presumably) ran a script to unmount the drive ? It would be nice to see something similar in perhaps the Drive Manager section of the NAS area ?

I wondered if I had overlooked something and that was actually a feature.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I seldom use the button, for just that reason. I set it up basically in case I have to walk a family member through powering down. (Had to do it once over the phone when a bad thunderstorm locked things up.)

Ordinarily I log into the router with ssh from my computer. Then command "df" (disk free space) lets me see whether it's mounted and shows me the device path, /dev/sda1 on my router. Command "umount /dev/sda1" (there is no "n") unmounts it, and a subsequent "df" verifies the unmounting was successful. The umount will fail if some computer has the drive mounted ("mapped" in the Windows world) over the network. (This paragraph is ordinary linux stuff, but some of our readers are Windows people without linux backgrounds.)

iOS these days has a "shortcuts" app with a little (non interactive) ssh tool as an available option, so it's also possible to set up an iPhone onscreen button to do a umount and df.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: