Unstable latency only while gaming, WRT1900ACS v2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
asferruzzi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:02    Post subject: Unstable latency only while gaming, WRT1900ACS v2 Reply with quote
Hi,

I play Battlefield 5, and recently discovered that my fibre line suffers from bufferbloat, so I decided to try dd-wrt firmware to try QOS. I have build 37305 installed. On the surface it all works well, until I tried gaming. My ping went from a stable 30 using an ethernet cable to fluctuating 80-110 when using wi-fi. I can't leave the ethernet cable laid through my house so I need to get wifi working properly. On the Linksys stock firmware I would get a stable ping of 30 on wifi and ethernet. My pc is the only device on the network.

So to troubleshoot I first tried pinging (100 times) the game server using windows cmd on wi-fi and ethernet, I get a stable ping of 30 for both methods, no matter how many ping tests I do, it seems all stable. Pinging other popular web sites all show a stable ping. Wi-fi analyzers don't suggest any interference from other networks. I have tried a few different wi-fi channels and width, but none seems to make any difference.

So pings seem ok when using the cmd window, but not good in gaming, any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsor
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:50    Post subject: Re: Unstable latency only while gaming, WRT1900ACS v2 Reply with quote
asferruzzi wrote:
Hi,

I play Battlefield 5, and recently discovered that my fibre line suffers from bufferbloat, so I decided to try dd-wrt firmware to try QOS. I have build 37305 installed. On the surface it all works well, until I tried gaming. My ping went from a stable 30 using an ethernet cable to fluctuating 80-110 when using wi-fi. I can't leave the ethernet cable laid through my house so I need to get wifi working properly. On the Linksys stock firmware I would get a stable ping of 30 on wifi and ethernet. My pc is the only device on the network.

So to troubleshoot I first tried pinging (100 times) the game server using windows cmd on wi-fi and ethernet, I get a stable ping of 30 for both methods, no matter how many ping tests I do, it seems all stable. Pinging other popular web sites all show a stable ping. Wi-fi analyzers don't suggest any interference from other networks. I have tried a few different wi-fi channels and width, but none seems to make any difference.

So pings seem ok when using the cmd window, but not good in gaming, any ideas?

Thanks

I have found the latency over 5GHz is around 15ms slower than 2.4GHz on the v2. Try splitting bands and connecting via 2.4GHz instead. (I think this is due to the flakey open drivers).
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turn off MU-MIMO.

Read this article: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33100-why-you-don-t-need-mu-mimo
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Turn off MU-MIMO.

Read this article: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33100-why-you-don-t-need-mu-mimo

Doesn't have MU-MIMO.. Unless this applies to beam forming more generally.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Build 37305 is a while ago.

Have you studied the New Build topics for a newer one?
Build numbers is past 40500 now.
asferruzzi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Build 37305 is a while ago.

Have you studied the New Build topics for a newer one?
Build numbers is past 40500 now.

I will try this, just researching to see the most stable way to upgrade
asferruzzi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I installed r40527 successfully, but still the wi-fi is no good.

I ping the modem over wi-fi and it's under <1 ms, I ping popular websites and there all under 30 ms, I load battlefield 5 and the ping jumps to 110. Playing the same game on Ethernet cable is only 30 ping, so something is definitely not happy with the wi-fi. I even brought the modem next to my pc but still no good.

I have tried 5ghz and 2.4ghz, tried different channels and bandwidth.

I have tried enabling and disabling QOS, but had no effect. Is there something else on that menu that might work?
asferruzzi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
SOLVED.

disabled WMM Support. Now the ping is stable in game.
asferruzzi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
NOT SOLVED.

I just did a speed test and was limited to 54 Mbps and the buffer bloat was off the chart, my normal download speed is 95 Mbps with no buffer bloat.

So I read that WMM support needs to be enabled to get speeds higher than 54 Mbps. So this hasn't fixed my problem in gaming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: