Problem with installing external USB hard drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 18:05    Post subject: Problem with installing external USB hard drive Reply with quote
I tried to get a shared USB external hard disk DD-wrt router. I have done according to the instructions of the video in question all. I can share my usb hard drive but i can't create it in a folder because an additional button is unavailable.

I need your help to get the problem resolved. I can't add a folder to my shared usb.

Where does this happen when I cannot add a folder to the usb hard drive that I share?

Here is a video which according to the instructions I have shared USB hard disks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg9PigBJIBs&list=LLCKo3G3rfOzjPPOxfWakyVQ&index=2&t=0s

My folders does not appear at this point even though they should appear here. I have a USB hard disk drive and two hard drives I've shared in accordance with the dd-wrt the video My router manual.

Why are these hard drives not showing up here? I don't know for myself how I can fix the problem and ask for help.

Attached my notes they are a bit dated but should do the trick

When I'm sharing in nimennut hard drives that I want to share so when I finally save and apply settings so naming hard drives will be lost as the picture shows.

Why do those hard drives I named disappear? This is a problem.

So, my the folders that I share will disappear when I press save and apply settings.

When I have added hard drives and folders in file sharing to and when I press save and apply setting so after this I add hard drives and folders disappear in file sharing section.

What is the reason for this that I add hard drives and folders in file sharing section will disappear after I press save and apply settings?

Below is a picture of this problem.

My router is: Linksys WRT 1900ACS V2

My dd-wrt build number is: DD-WRT v3.0-r39538

I hope I can get help from here to get this problem solved.

Thank you!
Sponsor
scar1943
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 22:32    Post subject: folder Reply with quote
So you have the drive formatted and mapped? Can't you just open that resource and do a simple right click new>folder from your connected windows machine?

If you set them as public, it should be free to do. I need to look at your graphics again. Dump the passwords and users and see if that changes anything.
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:34    Post subject: Re: folder Reply with quote
scar1943 wrote:
So you have the drive formatted and mapped? Can't you just open that resource and do a simple right click new>folder from your connected windows machine?

If you set them as public, it should be free to do. I need to look at your graphics again. Dump the passwords and users and see if that changes anything.

I cannot add a folder in the Windows user system because the paste button is grayed out and the new folder cannot be added here.

When I'm done ddwrt of file sharing in designated folders and hard drives so they disappear when I press save and apply settings.
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can anyone help me solve this problem? Sad

I have tried myself but naming as hard drives do not stay ddwrt file sharing settings Sad They disappear when I press save and apply settings Sad
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Perhaps your Windows client only supports SMB 2.0/2.1, while the router is based on SMB 1.0. You may need to add SMB 1.0 support back to Windows. But that's just a guess.

Actually, I had to dig into that awhile back, and dd-wrt (for this particular router) does use SMB 2.0. That should not be an issue. I have no problem accessing my dd-wrt USB/NAS share in Windows 10, without resurrecting SMB 1.0.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
eibgrad wrote:
Perhaps your Windows client only supports SMB 2.0/2.1, while the router is based on SMB 1.0. You may need to add SMB 1.0 support back to Windows. But that's just a guess.

Actually, I had to dig into that awhile back, and dd-wrt (for this particular router) does use SMB 2.0. That should not be an issue. I have no problem accessing my dd-wrt USB/NAS share in Windows 10, without resurrecting SMB 1.0.

I restore my DD-WRT firmware to factory settings, and I am now configured everything again.

I have now put my on the format of external USB hard drives to NTFS format. Once the hard drives are formatted then I will try again if I can share these hard drives Smile
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I should have added that the dd-wrt NAS that I use fromWindows 10 is an NTFS drive. I have never had any problem with it.

On a different dd-wrt router my NAS flash drive is ext2 formatted, to minimize wear of the flash memory. I access it in dd-wrt with it the latter's ext4 interface, using ext4's backward compatibility, because dd-wrt does not have separate ext2 support. ext2 drives are not journaled, so taking care to unmount before powering down the router is appropriate. I use that drive from linux, but I believe it should work fine from Windows also, because Windows would never know it is ext2 but would only see a generic share.

I didn't catch which dd-wrt release you are using. Some of them have had NAS issues. Check the appropriate new-build thread in the Marvell forum.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="SurprisedItWorks"]I should have added that the dd-wrt NAS that I use fromWindows 10 is an NTFS drive. I have never had any problem with it.

On a different dd-wrt router my NAS flash drive is ext2 formatted, to minimize wear of the flash memory. I access it in dd-wrt with it the latter's ext4 interface, using ext4's backward compatibility, because dd-wrt does not have separate ext2 support. ext2 drives are not journaled, so taking care to unmount before powering down the router is appropriate. I use that drive from linux, but I believe it should work fine from Windows also, because Windows would never know it is ext2 but would only see a generic share. I didn't catch which dd-wrt release you are using. Some of them have had NAS issues. Check the appropriate new-build thread in the Marvell forum.

Did I understand correctly that I should format my hard drive to ext2?

Does this also work well in Windows 10?

I'm using this version of DD-WRT:Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r39538 std (04/16/19)

I am Finnish and I understand a little English well, and I must therefore ensure that for sure I understood correctly Smile

What do you think about the NTSF-3G file format in this case? Is EXT2 a Better Option? Can I format my hard drive in EXT2 format if it also works in Windows 10?
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
you have to turn the windows feature smb 1.0/cifs file share support on. once its on, setup your samba share on ddwrt. if you setup the share correctly on ddwrt, it will be visible in 'network' which is on the left side towards the bottom in 'this pc', if your using windows 10. click on your router's name and your shares will be present on the right. right click the share and select 'map network drive'. self explanatory from there.
NAS: Iomega ix2-200 CE 4tb, Seagate 1tb usb drive
Wash your hands and DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
ext2 is good for a flash drive, because it is not journaled, and journaling causes many extra writes to the flash and so will wear it out faster. ntfs is a journaled format, but for a hard drive that's a good thing unless you need maximum speed. journaling makes it harder to damage a filesystem by disconnecting it or powering down before unmounting.

So for your hard drive ntfs is fine. It is the native format of Windows 10, so using that format gives you the ability to migrate the drive to a Windows 10 system easily later on, or if something bad happens to your router. It is my understanding that Windows does not have native support for the ext2/ext3/ext4 linux filesystem types, so even though you could use such drives if they were presented from the router to your computer as shares, you'd not be able to plug them directly into your Windows 10 machine.

By the way, I've been to Helsinki, Espoo, and Tampere for work, and for fun I took side trips to areas near Turku and Jyvaskyla. (Can't seem to make an umlaut on this keyboard.) Even watched a WRC rally out in the woods near the latter. Wonderful country!

Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
gallo wrote:
you have to turn the windows feature smb 1.0/cifs file share support on. once its on, setup your samba share on ddwrt. if you setup the share correctly on ddwrt, it will be visible in 'network' which is on the left side towards the bottom in 'this pc', if your using windows 10. click on your router's name and your shares will be present on the right. right click the share and select 'map network drive'. self explanatory from there.

How do I install the samba share in ddwrt? Do I just put the file sharing in the checkbox for the moss?

Just like in this picture?

Last edited by Mazufa on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:00; edited 1 time in total
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
the picture doesn't expand well so I can't tell. Set it up like you had in the earlier pics I believe it was fine.
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
gallo wrote:
the picture doesn't expand well so I can't tell. Set it up like you had in the earlier pics I believe it was fine.

I have now corrected image.
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm really frustrated with this shit when I am do not succeed in this Sad

Every time I add my hard drive to file sharing and press save and then apply settings, these named drives will disappear from file sharing ...... I find it really desperate and frustrating.

What do you think? Should I try installing another version of DD-WRT firmware on my router instead of the current one?

Would you suggest me some good version of DD-WRT firmware for my router?

I have a Linksys wrt 1900acs v2 router.

If you have suggest me some good version of dd-wrt firmware then could you give me a download link to a file that fits my router?

I now have this version of dd-wrt firmware running: Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r39538 std (04/16/19)
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
well I'm using

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r40134 std (06/27/19)
on my wrt1900acv1 and it seems fine.
not sure why your shares aren't being saved

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: