Netgear R6700 From Costco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
DonB.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:20    Post subject: Netgear R6700 From Costco Reply with quote
Okay, before I post, I'm a novice at this so please have patience. If I post wrong, or say something stupid, please understand this is new to me.

I have a Netgear R 6700 from Costco that I bought a few years ago. Before I attempt to try to flash a 3rd party SW, here is my issue.

Lately I have had to reboot the router daily for the speeds to keep up to normal. I have 100 MBPS speeds, but by the end of the day, wireless, I drop to about 15 to 25 MBPS, once I reboot the router all is fine until the next morning. I did not check if my speeds drop hard wired, I can check that if it makes a difference.

I was going to buy a newer router, but figured I'd attempt to post here first and see the direction recommended.

I also had a dead spot in the bedroom, got internet there wireless, but speeds really dropped, so I decide to buy an NG A/C 1900 Mesh EX 6400, which has made a big difference in the bedroom.

Let me know what other info you need to help try and troubleshoot this is before you can all give me advice on proper direction. Rolling Eyes

I'm on the latest Netgear FW on the router R6700-V1.0.1.48_10.0.46
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I understand it, you have a V1. V1 and V3 is supported by dd-wrt, but V2 have a mediatek chipset and are not supported.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R6700

You will finf firmware here:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/07-16-2019-r40352/
DonB.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I assume if my version number starts with a 1, then I have a version 1. If not is there another way to check my proper version number Question
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check the FCC ID with wikidevi.
DonB.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Check the FCC ID with wikidevi.

I did check, but still can't seem to see what Version it is.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
FCC ID: PY313200233

It have one USB port. The V3 have 2 USB ports.
DonB.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I have one USB port on the front Very Happy
DonB.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, ow that I know I have a Version one, and have found the proper files to download and flash, I do not see the proper instructions and procedures for flashing, so if I don't like it, that I could properly revert back to my current settings and FW and be back where I was.

Below is an image of the R6700 Download page, but I don't see proper instructions or procedure, please advise.

I'm assuming I have to first do a current configuration backup, then I would have to flash the Stock Firmware, Then I assume I'd have to do a FR, then I'd have to flash the Kong FW, then setup all my credentials manually from scratch, meaning the devices I'm using that have an assigned IP, I'd have to enter them manually, so everything works as before.

Am I missing anything, or is there a step by step instruction somewhere Question

I want to make sure I do this right and not brick my device, if I don't like it. Thanks all in advance

FW Specs.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.4 KB
 Viewed:  3220 Time(s)

FW Specs.jpg

Last edited by DonB. on Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:35; edited 1 time in total
DonB.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry Mods, that I also posted in the wrong section and thank you for moving it to the correct section.

I did check again this morning FTR, my speeds drop wireless and not Ethernet.

I still have not converted to DD WRT FW yet, as I need to make sure of the proper steps before doing so, I want to make sure I do not brick. So if anyone has flashed an R6700 or 7000 which seems like it'll ne the same, please advise to your flashing steps and process. I did Google but not much out there. Cool

Last edited by DonB. on Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:35; edited 2 times in total
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
DonB. wrote:
I still have not converted to DD WRT FW yet, as I need to make sure of the proper steps before doing so, I want to make sure I do not brick. So if anyone has flashed an R6700 or 7000 which seems like it'll ne the same, please advise to your flashing steps and process. I did Google but not much out there. Cool
Reduce your pic size, per forum requirements. Wink

There is the generic Installation wiki. Reset before flash from OEM shouldn't be needed unless you've enabled a lot of features, or it has been up for a long time. Be sure to reset after flashing, preferably from telnet; `nvram erase && reboot` then manually set up.

This came up in a google search:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1038832
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311723

The R6700 is the same hardware as the R7000, so you can follow that guide, using the appropriate directory and .chk file. For initial flash you can use BS' 'factory-to-dd-wrt' file or Kong's R6700.chk. Note: recent firmware may prevent third-party f/w, so you may need to flash older OEM f/w first. ...But that may be blocked too, so you might need to use TFTP. Good luck Smile

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
DonB.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
DonB. wrote:
Reduce your pic size, per forum requirements. Wink

There is the generic Installation wiki. Reset before flash from OEM shouldn't be needed unless you've enabled a lot of features, or it has been up for a long time. Be sure to reset after flashing, preferably from telnet; `nvram erase && reboot` then manually set up.

This came up in a google search:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1038832
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311723

The R6700 is the same hardware as the R7000, so you can follow that guide, using the appropriate directory and .chk file. For initial flash you can use BS' 'factory-to-dd-wrt' file or Kong's R6700.chk. Note: recent firmware may prevent third-party f/w, so you may need to flash older OEM f/w first. ...But that may be blocked too, so you might need to use TFTP. Good luck Smile

Thanks, I'll look into this

BTW I did reduce Image size, hope it's to specs now, cheers
DonB.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haven't done this yet as I'm away on business. FTR the drop in speeds are wireless only, not hardwired, so don't know if this makes a difference before I do this flashing. Question

I also need to make sure I can revert back to the Netgear FW if this flashing doesn't resolve the issue and what exactly is the process to do so, so I'm covered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: