wrt160n v1 unable to flash generic_vpn build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Author Message
dipswitch
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:47    Post subject: wrt160n v1 unable to flash generic_vpn build Reply with quote
In an attempt to revitalise an old wrt160n v1 , i was able to flash it with a current v24 mini build. All went and looks well. But i am unable to flash the v24 generic_vpn build. According to the peacock thread and wrt160n wiki i should be able to flash it, since it is smaller in size then the 4mb flash size. But i keeps getting refused. Anything i'm doing wrong?

Could it be that the wrt160n v1 only was able to run openvpn with the now obsolete eko vpn_small build? And if this is the case, is there an alternative for it?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 7246
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fresh Tomato follows the same router compatibility list as Shibby:

http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69 (You should use MIPS R1 RT K26 version below 4MB)

https://exotic.se/freshtomato-mips/

https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/verion-2-6-mod-on-wrt160n-v1.32529/

There is a mips-r1-mini-vpn build that may work, but a safe bet would be to have a means to recover your router if it bricks. I am not saying that this is a de-facto solution, but it's the only alternative that I am aware of.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 2590
Location: Indy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 18:14    Post subject: Re: wrt160n v1 unable to flash generic_vpn build Reply with quote
dipswitch wrote:
i was able to flash it with a current v24 mini build. All went and looks well. But i am unable to flash the v24 generic_vpn build. According to the peacock thread and wrt160n wiki i should be able to flash it, since it is smaller in size then the 4mb flash size. But it keeps getting refused.
What build were you trying? The current latest k2.4 build 40276 vpn_generic.bin is 3928064 bytes.
Peacock Announcement wrote:
Maximum firmware size
[...]
4MB flash chip (not Netgear): 3801088 bytes

If what you tried is smaller than that, it could just be a bad build, or your router has a different MTD layout for the linux partition. Attach a `dmesg` output showing the partitions. Or try other f/w as kp69 noted... Smile

_________________
# NAT/SFE/CTF: limited speed w/ DD # Repeater issues # DD-WRT info: FAQ, Builds, Types, Modes, Changes, Demo #
x64 OPNsense 20.7.3|FT2020.6: EA6900v1.1@1GHz, F7D8302@532|DD 44528: DIR-810L, WNDR4500v2 & 4000@533,
R6300v1, RT-N66U@663, E1500@353, WRT54G{Lv1.1,Sv6}@250
|OpenWRT 19.7.3: RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
dipswitch
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm trying to flash

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/07-12-2019-r40276/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin

I've added the dmesg output.

Uploading the vpn firmware binary takes a very short time. After that, a "upload complete" message appears and the device reboots, but the new firmware didnt stick. Flashingtime is way too short so i guess it is rejected.



wrt160n_v1_ddwrt_dmesg.txt
 Description:
wrt160n dmesg output

Download
 Filename:  wrt160n_v1_ddwrt_dmesg.txt
 Filesize:  5.06 KB
 Downloaded:  80 Time(s)

dipswitch
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 21:43    Post subject: freshtomato minivpn k26 mipsr1 build size Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Fresh Tomato follows the same router compatibility list as Shibby:

http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69 (You should use MIPS R1 RT K26 version below 4MB)

https://exotic.se/freshtomato-mips/

https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/verion-2-6-mod-on-wrt160n-v1.32529/

There is a mips-r1-mini-vpn build that may work, but a safe bet would be to have a means to recover your router if it bricks. I am not saying that this is a de-facto solution, but it's the only alternative that I am aware of.


The freshtomato mips r1 k26 minivpn build seems to be 4112384 bytes in size, which i dont understand. Why do they release such a build, since it wouldnt fit any 4mb device?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 7246
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I figured it was going to be a stretch. I have never known anyone to get vpn builds of DD-WRT or otherwise on any 4mb device. That being said, though, since I do tinker with the FT build environment, I can take a look to see what is included in the mini-vpn-mips-R1 build and ask you what you don't want or need and run a test build. However, on a device that old, running vpn is like pissing in the wind IMHO. Not that it won't work, but it will be S-L-O-W.
dipswitch
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I figured it was going to be a stretch. I have never known anyone to get vpn builds of DD-WRT or otherwise on any 4mb device. That being said, though, since I do tinker with the FT build environment, I can take a look to see what is included in the mini-vpn-mips-R1 build and ask you what you don't want or need and run a test build. However, on a device that old, running vpn is like pissing in the wind IMHO. Not that it won't work, but it will be S-L-O-W.


It was only my intention to repurpose the device, partially for the fun of it and also because for simple tasks it can still be a usable device. I used to be able to flash generic-vpn builds in 4mb broadcom devices, i'm unsure why this suddenly isnt possible anymore? As far as i can remember, the golden rule always was: vpn functionality: broadcom 4mb, atheros qualcomm 8mb.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 7246
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
dipswitch wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I figured it was going to be a stretch. I have never known anyone to get vpn builds of DD-WRT or otherwise on any 4mb device. That being said, though, since I do tinker with the FT build environment, I can take a look to see what is included in the mini-vpn-mips-R1 build and ask you what you don't want or need and run a test build. However, on a device that old, running vpn is like pissing in the wind IMHO. Not that it won't work, but it will be S-L-O-W.


It was only my intention to repurpose the device, partially for the fun of it and also because for simple tasks it can still be a usable device. I used to be able to flash generic-vpn builds in 4mb broadcom devices, i'm unsure why this suddenly isnt possible anymore? As far as i can remember, the golden rule always was: vpn functionality: broadcom 4mb, atheros qualcomm 8mb.


I may have been thinking 2MB devices. There's been so much changed in the source code, there is no telling. At least you can still use it as an AP. If you don't need multi-wan support or pptpd, there is a small chance of running a stripped down mini-VPN build of FT that might fit.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 2590
Location: Indy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 16:34    Post subject: Re: wrt160n v1 unable to flash generic_vpn build Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
What build were you trying? The current latest k2.4 build 40276 vpn_generic.bin is 3928064 bytes.
Peacock Announcement wrote:
Maximum firmware size
[...]
4MB flash chip (not Netgear): 3801088 bytes

dipswitch wrote:
I'm trying to flash r40276/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin [...]
Uploading the vpn firmware binary takes a very short time. After that, a "upload complete" message appears and the device reboots, but the new firmware didnt stick. Flashing time is way too short so i guess it is rejected.

Ok, so you could use an older build; whatever the latest was that fit.
    Flash device: 0x400000 at 0x1c000000
    bootloader size: 262144
    Physically mapped flash: Filesystem type: squashfs, size=0x21ea16
    partition size = 2277376
    Creating 5 MTD partitions on "Physically mapped flash":
    0x00000000-0x00040000 : "cfe"
    0x00040000-0x003f0000 : "linux"
    0x00124000-0x00350000 : "rootfs"
    mtd: partition "rootfs" doesn't start on an erase block boundary -- force read-only
    0x003f0000-0x00400000 : "nvram"
    0x00350000-0x003f0000 : "ddwrt"
That shows it's a 0x400000 chip (4.00 MB), and the 'linux' partition is 0x3f0000-0x40000 = 3866624 bytes = 3.6875 MB
That is a -bit- more than the generic Peacock verbiage. The last build that should fit is:
36808 dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin 30-Aug-2018 12:40 3850240
Of course, always check the new build thread before flashing, esp for old k.4 builds, as they aren't tested as often. /looking...

You're in luck; it's still in my cache:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316493
Even more luck, I tested a WRT54GL: "no issues". Wink

Let us know how it goes. Smile

_________________
# NAT/SFE/CTF: limited speed w/ DD # Repeater issues # DD-WRT info: FAQ, Builds, Types, Modes, Changes, Demo #
x64 OPNsense 20.7.3|FT2020.6: EA6900v1.1@1GHz, F7D8302@532|DD 44528: DIR-810L, WNDR4500v2 & 4000@533,
R6300v1, RT-N66U@663, E1500@353, WRT54G{Lv1.1,Sv6}@250
|OpenWRT 19.7.3: RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
dipswitch
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:28    Post subject: Re: wrt160n v1 unable to flash generic_vpn build Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
jwh7 wrote:
What build were you trying? The current latest k2.4 build 40276 vpn_generic.bin is 3928064 bytes.
Peacock Announcement wrote:
Maximum firmware size
[...]
4MB flash chip (not Netgear): 3801088 bytes

dipswitch wrote:
I'm trying to flash r40276/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin [...]
Uploading the vpn firmware binary takes a very short time. After that, a "upload complete" message appears and the device reboots, but the new firmware didnt stick. Flashing time is way too short so i guess it is rejected.

Ok, so you could use an older build; whatever the latest was that fit.
    Flash device: 0x400000 at 0x1c000000
    bootloader size: 262144
    Physically mapped flash: Filesystem type: squashfs, size=0x21ea16
    partition size = 2277376
    Creating 5 MTD partitions on "Physically mapped flash":
    0x00000000-0x00040000 : "cfe"
    0x00040000-0x003f0000 : "linux"
    0x00124000-0x00350000 : "rootfs"
    mtd: partition "rootfs" doesn't start on an erase block boundary -- force read-only
    0x003f0000-0x00400000 : "nvram"
    0x00350000-0x003f0000 : "ddwrt"
That shows it's a 0x400000 chip (4.00 MB), and the 'linux' partition is 0x3f0000-0x40000 = 3866624 bytes = 3.6875 MB
That is a -bit- more than the generic Peacock verbiage. The last build that should fit is:
36808 dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin 30-Aug-2018 12:40 3850240
Of course, always check the new build thread before flashing, esp for old k.4 builds, as they aren't tested as often. /looking...

You're in luck; it's still in my cache:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316493
Even more luck, I tested a WRT54GL: "no issues". Wink

Let us know how it goes. Smile


First of all, my apologies for the late respone; seems i didnt get a topic notification.

That being said, it worked! This is great. Now this device can be put to use, albeit in a simple role, for a second time. This is what i enjoy most, repurposing hardware to make it function beyond its original use and functionset.

To express my gratitude, i made a little donation to the ddwrt team. Thank you.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 2590
Location: Indy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:46    Post subject: Re: wrt160n v1 unable to flash generic_vpn build Reply with quote
See, that was easy Smile
dipswitch wrote:
This is what i enjoy most, repurposing hardware to make it function beyond its original use and functionset
Me too Wink
dipswitch wrote:
To express my gratitude, i made a little donation to the ddwrt team.
You can also donate to my offshore Nigerian account. Razz

I'll update the wiki for this VPN build, and let BS know; probably nothing left to trim from k2.4 builds though. :-/

_________________
# NAT/SFE/CTF: limited speed w/ DD # Repeater issues # DD-WRT info: FAQ, Builds, Types, Modes, Changes, Demo #
x64 OPNsense 20.7.3|FT2020.6: EA6900v1.1@1GHz, F7D8302@532|DD 44528: DIR-810L, WNDR4500v2 & 4000@533,
R6300v1, RT-N66U@663, E1500@353, WRT54G{Lv1.1,Sv6}@250
|OpenWRT 19.7.3: RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum