Access ISP Router/Modem from DD-WRT Router [Solved]

machineman5107
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:50    Post subject: Access ISP Router/Modem from DD-WRT Router [Solved] Reply with quote
Hi
I would like to setup access from my DD-WRT router to my ISP router/modem.

My ISP modem/router is set in transparent bridging with an ip address of 192.168.0.--
My router has an IP of 192.168.1.--

Question: How do i access the router without having to plug my pc directly to the modem.
From what I have been able to find out so far I need to set up a port on my router to forward to the 192.168.0.-- address. Then plug a cable from that port to my modem. Is that right.
If so how do I set that up on the router?
Thanks
Mike

Last edited by machineman5107 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:39; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I understand your description, your ISP's equipment is assigning IP addresses in the 192.168.0.* subnet, while your router will assign IP addresses in the 192.168.1.* subnet. Because they are different subnets (the 0 vs the 1), your router may function just fine if you connect its WAN (sometimes labeled "Internet") port into one of the ISP router's LAN (ethernet) ports with an ethernet cable, assuming that in your dd-wrt router under Basic Settings you have set WAN Connection Type to Automatic Configuration - DHCP. Your ISP's modem/router would still be broadcasting its wifi SSIDs, but if you instead connect to the ones broadcast by your router, that will matter little.

To go beyond that and disable your ISP's wifi while leaving your router functining is not something I can say much about here, as the details depend on their equipment and setup. Sometimes you can find specific instructions for a specific ISP and modem/router model on the internet. Sometimes those instructions are correct, but the two times I tried it, the instructions were close but not quite right, so some exploration of their control panel was needed. Most likely there is a label on their equipment telling you how to get to their GUI control panel. Generally you have to plug your computer directly into one of their LAN ports (not the ones on your router) in order to be allowed access. For security reasons they generally do not make their GUI available over wifi.

If your router doesn't have internet when you connect it that way, your ISP's equipment or even their tech support personnel (because you say their setup is bridged) may need to be provided with the specific MAC address of your router's WAN port. You can look in their GUI to see if it's a simple matter. Otherwise call them and ask about using your router with their modem. Get your router's MAC address from the dd-wrt GUI's status tab. Your router is the same model as mine, so I'm guessing it will be one higher (e.g. ending in D instead of C) than what is shown on the router box.

I once ran into a major ISP who claimed on the phone that they did not allow customer routers to be used, but then I found a page online that they themselves had posted that gave actual detailed instructions for how to use your own router. So don't give up easily.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
machineman5107
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
My ISP router/modem is in transparent mode, as a result the radio is turned off and dchp does not function. It is just a modem with a static ip of 192.168.0.xx.

My DD-WRT router assigns all ip address in the 192.168.1.xx range. What I would like to do is assign port #4 on my router to access the 192.168.0.xx address so I can get to the GUI of the modem.

So basically from my 192.168.1.xx pc I want to be able to type the ip address 192.168.0.xx of my modem and gain access to it.

I think I need to do this with vlans, but I am not sure.
I have not be able to find much online so far.
Thanks
Mike

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I sure wasted my time with my first reply, didn't I?

In any case, what you want to do has two parts. If that's where you want to go, you need to at first ignore the VLAN port #4 issue and simply figure out, experimentally or otherwise, whether you can get to the modem's GUI from a device connected to your router. That's the less certain part of the problem, and it's really separate from the VLAN issue. I have no idea how you go about this.

If you get that working, to sort out the VLAN issue for the WRT1900ACSv2 you'll want to read up in the thread cited in my signature below. The first post and then the several beginning with the first from TheDude1864 (going by memory here so I may be off on this username) are the key. Ignore the dd-wrt wiki's VLAN posts and the VLAN page in the dd-wrt GUI, as those are all oriented towards router models with broadcom hardware, which we don't have. Our hardware does not support the same set of configurtion commands.

Once you get port #4 on one vlan and bridge (say br1) with the other ports on another vlan and bridge (br0 most likely), you may need iptables firewall commands to give port #4 precisely the access you want.

This is my last post on this thread though. Happy to try to steer you in a solid direction, but I don't really have time to go there step-by-step with you, esp as you are into areas I know little about. Best of luck.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
machineman5107
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi
Thank you. I will have a look at the post you suggested and see what I cam find out.

Thanks
Mike

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you I will check this out
My ISP is IPOE. Will this still work?
Thanks
MIke

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check out this thread: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320318. They appear to be discussing just your issue of accessing the modem GUI.
machineman5107
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
jxm wrote:
Check out this page in the wiki.
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Access_To_Modem_Configuration

Cheers.

Thank you jxm This worked perfectly. Exactly what I needed. Very Happy
Thanks to all who answered my post.
Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: