Cannot access web interface after installing dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Lennart99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 14:38    Post subject: Cannot access web interface after installing dd-wrt Reply with quote
Hi

Im trying to install dd-wrt on my acm3200.
Im following instructions here: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
I downloaded factory-to-ddwrt.bin from here: https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/?model=WRT3200ACM_-
And I followed this to upload bin file: https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=140365
I can not reach 192.168.1.1 in any browser and if I try to ssh I get "Network error: Network is unreachable"
Power reset does not help.
Do you have any suggestions how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks
Sponsor
PIZZEDMEOFF
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Power off router with power switch.
Turn power back on and Power LED will light.
As soon as all LEDs turn off (~2s), power off router with power switch
Turn power back on and allow router to fully boot.
It should now be booted to the alternate firmware partition

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/timeline
Commands:
Misc: sleep 10;stopservice nas;stopservice wlconf;startservice wlconf;startservice nas
samba: { sleep 30; stopservice samba3; startservice samba3; } &

WRT1900ACv1:

WIFI: 2.4ghz: NG-mixed, 20mhz channel width, channel follows AP, WPA2-CCMP-128.
WIFI: 5ghz: AC/N mixed, 40mhz channel width, channel 100+upper, WPA2-CCMP-128.
Misc Info: WPA2 Personal: "CCMP-128 (AES)" Static IP's VIA Mac+Host, SFE Enabled, No Rebind, Strict, no-resolv. NOTE: this is now just a wireless access point so to speak but all settings still apply to what ever wireless person connects.
Lennart99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi

Yes that worked, I'm back to linksys web interface.
When I followed the tutorial I skipped this step: "Trick to Upgrade DD-WRT Firmware without losing current configuration or the need to return to Stock Firmware:"
It looks like it is optional(?)

Was it wrong to skip it?
What would the next step be?
Should I try to upload bin file again?

Br
PIZZEDMEOFF
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
you normally use that After the flash to switch back to stock partition and upgrade... for those of you trying to keep one partition stock why that is i dont know i dont find it hard to flash back to stock if need be but hey thats me.

Or in my case i use it to switch back to a known working firmware before going to the next build. some of them are a little to big atm so doing the flash in the console is needed ( known bug )so yes its optional.

Now on your flash issue, some of the newer builds lately have a issue on using factory to ddwrt is my understanding... So you need to go to a older build first, and then upgrade to current..

I would attempt the first one from this year that could be old enough but maybe one of the 3200 guys will chime in here and suggest a inital build to flash from.....
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/

the 06-27-2019-r40134/ build is the newest one flashing from the GUI with out any issues what so ever from everyone that i know of. but i am on sure on the factory to ddwrt part of it. you can see the forum notes on the builds and look for notes pertaining to your 3200...

the current 07-12-2019-r4027 works for me on my 1900ac but i have to flash it from the console ( telnet or SSH ) but is pretty stable for me.
you can see the forum notes on the builds and look for notes pertaining to your 3200...

i would suggest you read the forum on new builds before attempting any new builds myself and some others try to do new flashes and let others know of problems we have on flashing them for the people that are newer...

good luck, off to work i go
ps: i left a post in the current firmware to try to direct a 3200 user over to here to chime on on the build to flash from

Commands:
Misc: sleep 10;stopservice nas;stopservice wlconf;startservice wlconf;startservice nas

WRT1900ACv1:

Misc Info: WPA2 Personal: "CCMP-128 (AES)" Static IP's VIA Mac+Host, SFE Enabled, No Rebind, Strict, no-resolv. NOTE: this is now just a wireless access point so to speak but all settings still apply to what ever wireless person connects.
scar1943
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:55    Post subject: Re: Cannot access web interface after installing dd-wrt Reply with quote
Lennart99 wrote:
Hi
Im trying to install dd-wrt on my acm3200.

Lennart99,

Forgive me if I'm not quite up to speed on where you are. I'll gladly help if I can. I've been flashing a wrt3200acm v1 since around version r34000 or so. Bring me up to speed with the hardware version number (v1 or v2), and if you have ddwrt active or not. Some of the problems you imply may have to do with the browser you are flashing from. While I personally haven't had the issue, for the flashing for the most part has been pretty flawless with the exception of the occasional junk releases. In those cases, the router has always reverted to the last known good release. I've never performed the 30/30/30 reset, for my understanding is that is a bad habit with the newer routers.

I hated the out of box linksys OEM flash, for it seemed to have what I would consider a security flaw (online account signup, and no vpn client) that I wanted to wipe away. So, the day I opened the box, the unit was flashed DDWRT on it before I went online with it. Only the first flash should be the factory to ddwrt flash. After that, do the secondary install (If any of this is obvious, I apologize). I use a direct connect ethernet cable, and never use wifi to flash. The browser I use is the latest 64bit firefox out of the latest windows 10 (1903 x64) OS.

The problem I'm having understanding the issue you are having is it went pretty flawlessly with me first time, which actually surprised me. But if I can help, I will gladly assist.
Lennart99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi

I guess Im back from where I started.
I can access Linksys web interface and no dd-wrt in sight since it seems to have failed during installation.

Linksys says "If there is no version number beside the model number on your Linksys product, the device is version 1."
I cannot find any label anywhere saying anything about version, so I guess its 1 then.

I used FF 67.0.4 when I uploaded the bin file.

PIZZEDMEOFF suggests to go to older build first.
Do you think that this is the way forward?

Br
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lennart99 wrote:

PIZZEDMEOFF suggests to go to older build first.
Do you think that this is the way forward?

PMO also suggested starting with the first build of 2019. I've used that first-of-year build quite successfully on half a dozen WRT1900ACSv2 routers, FWIW.

At flash time, be sure you are connected to the router via ethernet to a router LAN port, and be sure that is the only thing connected to the router. Especially do not have the "internet" (WAN) port connected when you flash. I take the extra (but likely needless) precaution of keeping my computer's wifi off for the flash, so that it does not try to connect prematurely. And once I start the flash, I wait a full minute and a half before touching any key. Hitting return over and over on the browser's URL window to see if the GUI is up yet is not a good idea. Let the flash finish before you look for the GUI.

Good luck.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Lennart99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will try this:

1. Download https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/01-02-2019-r38159/linksys-wrt3200acm/

2. Connect directly to router
3. Remove wan
4. Upload bin file
Lennart99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeees, it works!

Should I now go to Admin -> Firmware upgrade and upload from here: https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/07-12-2019-r40276/linksys-wrt3200acm/ ?

I guess this file: ddwrt-linksys-wrt3200acm-webflash.bin
and not the factory, right?

Br
PIZZEDMEOFF
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lennart99 wrote:

That is correct when you do it, Id let one of them chime in on the latest build. for your 3200 since i do not have one of those to test with. OR come on over to that thread and ask

Im glad you got it, I just got in from work and wanted to make sure someone came to help you! off i go im beat..

oh one more thing Keep a copy of that firmware ( both ) that you flashed with on your drive That is a known working flash from factory and that may come in handy if you ever run into trouble..
I keep a Directory Just like the FTP, but i keep the stable ones for my router, and i also keep one of the older ones. then i have a text in each ones folder of my notes on each firmware i test so i know what isuses there is for me.....

I do this for the reason if i get a bad flash and it takes me offline, I have all the notes i need to do this in the console Or other tidbits and i laso have to firmware on hand cause i cant get it since im offline. =P

Commands:

WRT1900ACv1:

Lennart99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi again

Which thread are you referring to?
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lennart99 wrote:
Yeees, it works!

Should I now go to Admin -> Firmware upgrade and upload from here: https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/07-12-2019-r40276/linksys-wrt3200acm/ ?

Br

Yes, use the webflash.bin file to flash from one dd-wrt build to another. But it is a mistake with dd-wrt to simply assume that the latest build is the best. New-build thread https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320476 is full of posts from people, including WRT3200ACM owners, having problems with that particular build. My notes from scanning recent new-build threads in https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=58 point towards build 40009 as the most solid of recent builds, with 40134 a close second, though others may differ.

Personally I have stayed with 39144 from March, in part because it still has full DNSCrypt support, while the other builds I mention here do not. DNSCrypt is being phased out, and its DNS-over-TLS replacement is still a bit of a project (https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1166512) to set up. Of course if you are not looking to set up encrypted DNS service, that will be irrelevant to you.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Lennart99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh no...

I was just about to install 40009, when everything died.
So I still have that first version from 2019.

I power off modem + router and connected it to my old laptop, same problem. No internet connection.

Cannot access 192.168.1.1.
In the list of accessible wireless networks I can see mine, but I cant connect to it.

I connected my old router and everything went up again.
So all cables and settings seems ok.

Do you have any idea what this could be?
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
You had internet via dd-wrt and then lost it? Or you never had it? The dd-wrt GUI has a Status tab with a WAN subtab that should show you whether you have a proper WAN connection to your modem. Look there first. Are you showing DHCP configuration, an IP address, and an appropriate connection uptime? Assuming you are set up to use DHCP on the WAN connection, the DHCP Renew button there is worth a try, especially if you had the connection working in the Linksys firmware, since dd-wrt presents a different MAC address to the modem than Linksys did.

In particular, have noticed that dd-wrt sets its WAN-port MAC address one higher (e.g. ending in D instead of C) than what is on the Linksys box. The dd-wrt GUI's Setup tab has a MAC Address Clone subtab where you can change the MAC address that dd-wrt presents to the modem. If the modem itself is configured for the specific MAC address that was on the Linksys box and its mind cannot be changed by renewing the lease, then perhaps cloning the original MAC address in dd-wrt would be worth a go.

Or it could be something entirely different. Ideas, anyone?

Lennart99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I had access to Internet and dd-wrt gui and then it just stopped working.

I was trying to configure static dhcp.
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Static_DHCP
I added a row and scrolled down and saved.
I think it died at the save click, or just before.

I just unplugged the old router and tried with acm3200 again. Internet is still lost and I can not access web gui at 192.168.1.1
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: