Support for TP-Link Archer C8 and Huawei E5786

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Google "dd-wrt samba windows 10" and enjoy all the reading.
Sponsor
aorus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am sorry to say I've done plenty of googling before posting here, and it was not at all helpful. To reiterate, I got Samba working, except for the access was read-only. I just wound up wasting a few hours on DD-WRT.
MarkAllen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Best I can tell from this thread is there are so many various issues with this TP Link Archer C8 router, no matter what hardware version, that one just shouldn't bother installing dd-wrt.

Would that be correct statement?

I have a v1 and was going to give it a go but if various features don't work or have issues just seems not worth the trouble.

And is this true for most or all Broadcom based routers or something with this particular series from TP Link?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
aorus wrote:
I am sorry to say I've done plenty of googling before posting here, and it was not at all helpful. To reiterate, I got Samba working, except for the access was read-only. I just wound up wasting a few hours on DD-WRT.

Did you set it up for anon access or user/pass? Did you set the filesystem permissions correctly on the attached usb drive?
aorus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried both with and without user credentials, the result was the same. The external hard drive worked fine with the stock firmware, I didn't change any permissions there.
Davey126
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
MarkAllen wrote:
Best I can tell from this thread is there are so many various issues with this TP Link Archer C8 router, no matter what hardware version, that one just shouldn't bother installing dd-wrt.

Would that be correct statement?

I have a v1 and was going to give it a go but if various features don't work or have issues just seems not worth the trouble.

And is this true for most or all Broadcom based routers or something with this particular series from TP Link?

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Firmware is rock solid (superior to stock) if used solely as a wired/wireless AP. Go beyond that and things may or may not work.
bwstrauss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 21:20    Post subject: Support for TP-Link Archer C8 and Huawei E5786 Reply with quote
Have DD-WRT running sweetly on my Archer C8 Rev 1, but have lost the Admin password. I have tried the 30/30/30 reset and other timing sequences with the "reset button" with no luck. Before I buy another unit, was hoping for some suggestions. I am willing to load firmware, etc.

thanks!
dudumaroja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:36    Post subject: Re: Problem solved Reply with quote
aorus wrote:
I was able to revert to the stock firmware using the procedure described at https://crosp.net/blog/hardware/unbrick-tp-link-wifi-router-wr841nd-with-tftp-wireshark/. The IP from the blog (192.168.0.66) showed up for Archer C8 as well, and the expected name was ArcherC8v1_tp_recovery.bin. It was not at all difficult, and it is a crying shame that TP-Link never documented it, because it likely works for many their older routers.

didnt work for me.. i can make the upload of the firmware but the router goes back to dd-wrt.

what firmware you used to restore to stock?

where did you get the striped firmware?
RNsteven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:33    Post subject: Firmware for TFTP? Reply with quote
Hi Aorus Read your post about using tftp to upload a recovery .bin file, and understood it.

I wasn't sure which file you used to rename into the recovery file. Was it one of the full firmware files at the TP-Link site?

The last revision TP link had was :
c8v1_un-up-ver4-0-0-P4[20160517-rel44603].bin to flash as firmware. Did you simply rename this to ArcherC8v1_tp_recovery.bin , and then cause the tftp transfer?

I'd appreciate if you could let me know.
fuxxi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:58    Post subject: Re: Problem solved Reply with quote
dudumaroja wrote:
aorus wrote:
I was able to revert to the stock firmware using the procedure described at https://crosp.net/blog/hardware/unbrick-tp-link-wifi-router-wr841nd-with-tftp-wireshark/. The IP from the blog (192.168.0.66) showed up for Archer C8 as well, and the expected name was ArcherC8v1_tp_recovery.bin. It was not at all difficult, and it is a crying shame that TP-Link never documented it, because it likely works for many their older routers.

didnt work for me.. i can make the upload of the firmware but the router goes back to dd-wrt.

what firmware you used to restore to stock?

where did you get the striped firmware?

Confirmed with my Archer C8 V1!

TFTP Upload is working fine, but nothing happens after that. It boots just back to old DD-WRT firmware, there is no reset or revert back to original TP Link Firmware.

So which firmware/bin file do we need for Archer C8 v1 for this to work? We probably need a stripped (no bootloader) one I guess? I thought stripped fw is only needed for web gui flash?!

My initial problem is this:

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6747#comment:3

I changed my password in DD-WRT and receive the following error now: PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

Its a shame, that this problem still occurs in 2019 and since I disabled SSH I have no option to get into web gui now. Resetting the router doesnt work as well - wow.
fuxxi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 13:47    Post subject: Re: Problem solved Reply with quote
fuxxi wrote:
Resetting the router doesnt work as well - wow.

OMG all the tutorials on the web regarding on how to factory reset the Archer C8 are wrong.

Instead of pushing the "WPS/Reset" button You have to push the "WIFI" button for around 5 sec.... jesus christ...

I found that information here:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1109636

So now I got my Archer C8 reset, great...

But:

After reset of the archer c8 v1 I go to 192.168.1.1, the dd-wrt weg bui opens, perfect.. I change the username/password, good.. but after that:

No matter on what part of the web gui I click I receive

Quote:
The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

and after that I can no longer access the web gui.. this also happens after reboot and also after another reset (wifi button).. so there is no way to access the dd wrt web gui....

This sounds like a bug to me.

So I rebooted and did a port scan (without going to the web gui, as it breaks the router)

I found out telnet port is open in standard config... so I googled how to update dd-wrt firmware via telnet.. I did and updated to this: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/11-11-2019-r41517/tplink_archer-c8v1/

R41517

Did another reset, still the same error:

no access to web gui elements after initial change of username password and clicking any item on the web gui

also: telnet (via PuTTY) is down after that, saying:

Quote:
Network error: Software caused connection abort

So the only way to access telnet is to reboot the router and DO NOT open up the web gui. That way I was able to update firmware, but error as described still occurs.

Could anybody have a look into that, please? Any ideas how to solve that?
fuxxi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I fixed it myself trying this method:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29181

Basically: Enable https access via telnet and use this will probably avoid the bug mentioned in previous post.
I still think there is a bug, which somebody should look at with the informations from my postings.

Posting all this just to help other people.

Im done with this crap now.. and all of this only because dd-wrt web gui lets me save a password which breaks the web gui access after reboot... again: shame...
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 17:34    Post subject: Re: Problem solved Reply with quote
fuxxi wrote:
Instead of pushing the "WPS/Reset" button You have to push the "WIFI" button for around 5 sec...
Interesting, I wonder if that only applies to DD, or also to OEM firmware? Anyway, I updated the wiki. Wink
fuxxi wrote:
After reset of the archer c8 v1 I go to 192.168.1.1, the dd-wrt weg bui opens, perfect.. I change the username/password, good.. but after that:

No matter on what part of the web gui I click I receive "The connection was reset"
Fwiw, I have a similar problem on my WNR2000v2 which (so far...) can run anything newer than 40723. Telnet and http will sometimes stop responding, but then also will sometimes later (w/o reboot) work again. I have not seem http/telnet issues on my newer-build k3.10 devices though.

One thing I -have- seen consistently, is that since some version of Firefox last (or early this) year, the GUI can't be accessed after a reset. I have to use Edge or IE (Win10) or netsurf (Linux) to set a user/password and then FF works fine (Win & Lin). I think kp69 has found that Chrome has this issue too.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
fuxxi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im using the WAN IP as entry now to the dd wrt webgui now instead of the local (192.xxx...) IP. Its the only way the dd wrt webguy stays up and running... up for 1hr+ now...

Still trying to find out whats the exactly problem.

I can also confirm, that its working better with MS Edge, playing around with Firefox versions now (71 Beta 11 before, now 70.0.1 Stable).

I also downgraded dd wrt firmware to 39956 after reading similar trouble here:

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6873

This really sucks...
fuxxi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update:

TP Link Archer C8 v1 @ DD-WRT 39956
Windows 10 x64 1907

MS Edge: LOCAL and WAN IP dd wrt webgui acess working like a charm

Firefox 70.0.1: WAN IP works like a charm, LOCAL IP nothing happens when trying to connect, no error msg, no timeout, nothing... just trying to connect...

Any ideas?

Since Edge is working, it must be a problem with Firefox (I did enable network.dns.disableIPv6 in about:config, but didnt help)? Maybe DD-WRT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 10
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: