WDS REPEATER mode with WPA2 security

foneran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:14    Post subject: WDS REPEATER mode with WPA2 security Reply with quote
Hello,

I have question: is possible set WDS REPEATER mode with WPA2 security (not only open and wep)?

I have

Ubiquiti PowerBeam PBE-M2-400 as Accesspoint
and second
Ubiquiti PowerBeam PBE-M2-400 as client - but i need set WDS Repeater

In original Airos is not possible set Wpa security in WDS REPEATER mode Sad

Then i look for alternative...
Sponsor
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
foneran wrote:
....Ubiquiti PowerBeam PBE-M2-400 as client - but i need set WDS Repeater...

No, you do not need WDS repeater. These radios are not designed for 3 way communication. Not enough memory or processing power. They are made for 2 way communication and that is why the UBNT firmware has no repeater options. The proper way to satisfy your needs is to add a third radio at the remote site to re-broadcast the signal on a different channel.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
foneran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
No, you do not need WDS repeater. These radios are not designed for 3 way communication. Not enough memory or processing power. They are made for 2 way communication and that is why the UBNT firmware has no repeater options. The proper way to satisfy your needs is to add a third radio at the remote site to re-broadcast the signal on a different channel.

Yes i need! I know, how is propher way, but...

Once again, UBNT firmware has build WDS repeater (AP-Repeater), but with only Open or Wep security! PROOF See here:

https://ibb.co/fQxh9U

This security is unaceptable for me. I not need full speed, me enough for example about 3 Mbit/s throughput for all on repeater side.

Ps: size and watt limitation is, why i need AP-Repeater (but with Wpa2 security) for this site. I think, many older devices (TL-WR841ND) have this functionality, but i need PB antena sensitivity and NOT REQUIRE high speed traffic.

I understand, WPA need more CPU time than WEP. Then i think, 3 Mbit/s throughput is enough for me.

This is, why i ask for, if ddwrt solve this ? I not test ddwrt on powerbeam until now
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
foneran wrote:
This security is unaceptable for me...
There is no way to fix the security problem. WDS and repeater modes do not support new security protocols. You cannot fix this security problem.

The only way to fix your project is to use an additional radio like I already suggested.

The Asus RT-N12 is a very good radio and it has support for DD-WRT. Price is only $30 US Dollars, new. From what I can see it is the only way to solve your problem and it is the cheapest way.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-rt-n12-d1-ieee-802-11b-ieee-802-11g-ieee-802-11n-ieee-802-3-ieee-802-3u-ipv4-ipv6/p/N82E16833320168

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
foneran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thx but i not have power, this is on solar panel and battery is only for one device ;-(

You have tested ddwrt and wpa2 repeater no way?

Because other devices (not ubnt) not have problem with repeater with wpa2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ubiquiti Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: