tp-link archer c7 v5 boot loop TFTP fail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
cproute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:28    Post subject: tp-link archer c7 v5 boot loop TFTP fail Reply with quote
I have a tp-link archer c7 v5 in bootloop.
I have read a good number of posts and gathered that this router has a recovery mode which uses TFTP to grab a firmware file to install it. I can not get the TFTP server to work.
I have:
- downloaded the firmware file and renamed it ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin.
- turned off all my windows pc connections other than the lan which is connected to the router.
- turned off antivirus & firewall. I have also given TFTP access though the firewall and tried it with the firewall on.
- changed the lan ipv4 settings to static address 192.168.0.66.
- enabled TFTP server in windows.
- started a TFTP server (i have tried 2, dtftp & solarwinds tftp). I have changed the root directory and also tried placing the file in the default root directory. I have tried binding the TFTP server to 192.168.0.66 and tried leaving it open to all address.
- I have turned off the route, pressed the reset button (pin required to press it) and turned on the router whilst keeping the reset button pressed for 5, 10, 15, 30 seconds. Some post mention a wps/reset button which older version of the c7 had but this one has a wps/wi-fi on/off button and a reset button which is not a button but a pin hole. I have again tried both but imagine the reset button is the 1 needed in this recovery mode.

I have not seen the TFTP server do anything. I have not seen the router asking for the file or trying to grab the file.

Hopefully i am doing something wrong or missing something and it is not the case that the TFTP recovery client on the router is not working.

I have zero experience with TFTP. Can some one suggest a simple experiment i can do to confirm it is enabled on my machine, set up correctly and which convinces me i can used it correctly?
Or can someone spot something i am doing wrong which is stopping what appears to be a straight forward recovery process?
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use tftpd64. It would not work on my desktop no matter what I did but would work on my laptop.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Were you ever able to get this working? If not, what I did was everything you mentioned EXCEPT I set the static IP's subnet to 255.255.0.0. The tftp connected, processed and unbricked my router. Woot!

Oh...new member BTW. This community is awesome.
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
DonLuco wrote:
Were you ever able to get this working? If not, what I did was everything you mentioned EXCEPT I set the static IP's subnet to 255.255.0.0. The tftp connected, processed and unbricked my router. Woot!

Oh...new member BTW. This community is awesome.

If the bootloader on the device is still intact, and your static LAN settings on PC are correct its a hardware/timing issue, if it does not search/load file.

The fixed IP and sometime fixed speed settings instead of autodetect on the laptop are essential for this. If it does not work, you should try another laptop with a different LAN hardware/driver. You should avoid crossflashing between openwrt, dd-wrt or other possibilities. Go back to factory firmware first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: