WAP at Work Using WNDR3400v3 - Can't Get it to Work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jeepinjeff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 20:56    Post subject: WAP at Work Using WNDR3400v3 - Can't Get it to Work Reply with quote
Using build v24-sp2 (07/22/2014) mega
Netgear WNDR3400v3

The building I work in doesn't get wifi, so I'm trying to create a WAP with my Netgear router so that I can use my laptop.

I've followed the instructions given at https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point with no success.

When I run ipconfig on my work desktop, here's what I get:

Code:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::247c:bb78:4d02:b187%12
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 205.190.131.9
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.128
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 205.190.131.126

Tunnel adapter isatap.{A084D873-E330-49EF-8309-045A7920EFDC}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:cdbe:8309::cdbe:8309
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I've tried using 205.190.131.252 and 205.190.131.250 as the local IP address.

Left the subnet mask at 255.255.255.0.

I've tried using 205.190.131.126 as the Gateway and Local DNS.

Followed all of the other instructions in the tut and just can't get it to work. When I plug in the ethernet cable, I get no internet access. I tried restarting the router. I tried using the LAN slot instead of the WAN slot.

I just can't get it to work for some reason.

Any ideas?
Sponsor
jeepinjeff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, we don't have more than 250 employees/ips...more like 25. And I presumed that this forum is where one would come for assistance with issues like this - to get help form more knowledgeable individuals - not to be minimized and talked down to.

It totally seems like "Leave the administration of the corporate LAN to the professionals." was unkind and unnecessary. I was just trying to solve an issue with the tools I have at hand.

If this problem isn't solvable in this way, that's really all I needed to hear.

However, if it IS solvable in this manner, I would appreciate some help. I'm not trying to "compromise" anything - It would just be a lot easier a lot of times to use a laptop and/or iPad when dealing with customers.

Thanks again.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it mainly depends on how the company's network is set up. If it is set up only to allow the clients and mac addresses of already installed equipment, then it probably won't allow a foreign device without cloning a mac address. Just my thoughts. I presume that you are trying to find a solution without going higher up and having someone come in and install an access point for you?
jeepinjeff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69

Yes, that is correct.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only problem that could be an issue is completely disabling dnsmasq if you upgraded to a more recent build, which is probably a good idea -- research the build threads. I noticed in that wiki that there is a script to use dhcp client to assign IP to the router, did you try that at all? That might help and be what you need to do, but otherwise, there shouldn't be any issues like this that I know of. Otherwise, the router's IP should be somewhere in the same subnet, netmask, etc. as the local network, but NOT in the dhcp pool of IP addresses, which is something you would need to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: