Attaching a WiFi Adapter to the USB Port on a Router...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
AnotherBrickintheWall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:29    Post subject: Attaching a WiFi Adapter to the USB Port on a Router... Reply with quote
I'm considering building a DIY high-gain WiFi antenna (e.g. cantenna, WokFi, etc...). Many, if not most, of the plans incorporate a USB-attached WiFi adapter into the antenna itself, both to simplify construction and to eliminate signal degradation that would otherwise occur with a WiFi adapter/radio located some distance from the antenna.

Many commercially-available WiFi routers have one or more USB ports. I'm aware that people have used these to attach storage devices and the like.

Questions for you about this:

Q1: Is it possible to utilize the USB port on a commercially-available router for a USB-attached WiFi adapter?

Q2: If this is possible, is it possible with only certain specific models of router, or is it possible with any router that has a USB port?

Q3: Would utilizing a USB-attached WiFi adapter require hardware modifications to the router, and if so, what are those modifications?

Q4: Can DD-WRT be configured to recognize and use a USB-attached WiFi adapter that is connected to a USB port on a commercially-available router?

Q5: Are there specific models of USB-attached WiFi adapters that will work with DD-WRT? If so, what are those models and what drivers would be needed?

Q6: I understand that there is a build of DD-WRT for x86. Is it possible to install DD-WRT on an old PC and make use of a USB-attached WiFi adapter that is connected to that PC?

Many thanks...

Last edited by AnotherBrickintheWall on Fri Jul 05, 2019 16:37; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only adapters that work on USB that i know of are 3G/4G modems (if you're lucky). I know for Broadcom usb bus wi-fi adapters, they will not work whatsoever because BS could never get the drivers to work. I don't know of any other hardware platform that uses usb bus wi-fi hardware off the top of my head, so likely, the same thing applies... but maybe as long as it's not a Broadcom usb adapter, you might get lucky...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: