Internet Speed Chokepoint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
micheldevon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 14:41    Post subject: Internet Speed Chokepoint Reply with quote
There's appears to be an issue with my Router, and I'm not sure what's going on or how to troubleshoot it.

I ran a speed test on multiple websites on both LAN and Wi-Fi. speedtest.att.com/speedtest/, fast.com, broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk and speedtest.net

The speeds are as follows:
LAN
140 Mbps, 120 Mbps, 192.98 Mbps, 162.81 Mbps
So on average 153.95 Mbps

Wi-Fi
17.28 Mbps, 14 Mbps, 11.31 Mbps, 13.49 Mbps
So on average 14.02 Mbps
The speed from the router control panel is 15.42 Mbps.
and that Wi-Fi is on the computer in the same room as the router; they are literally 8 feet apart.
I powercycled the router per Linsys's support page and the average speed of the test sites only bumped up to 14.9. So a negligible difference.

While the LAN speed is a far cry from speed promised by AT&T's 1000 plan, the Wi-Fi over the router appears to be the big problem.

I'm running NordVPN on the router and currently am connected to a Dallas server (from Austin)

Any advice or troubleshooting on why my Linksys WRT3200ACM is choking?

micheldevon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I ran the Wireless Diagnostics app that's baked into macOS Mojave 10.14.5. And received a DNS Resolution Failure

I updated the DNS settings on my network to NordVPN's current DNS settings. Upon doing so, Wireless Diagnostics was able to resolve the DNS error and displayed no connectivity errors, however, after doing so, my browser couldn't open the router control panel anymore.

Deleting the DNS settings brought the resolution error back, but immediately made the control panel load.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I disabled Auto on Wireless Channels and set them to the channel listed in the Wireless Diagnostics tool.

After updating the channels, I put the DNS server addresses back into my system network preferences. Now I can access the internet and the router control panel at the same time.

Speed hasn't changed though.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I updated firmware to DD-WRT v3.0-r40134 std (06/27/19)

It seems to be a little faster now.

holy shit, this shouldn't be this hard.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try simplifying your configuration until you resolve the issue. Save your config, then reset DD-WRT and strip it completely down to the basics to see what happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: