Reasons to switch to BS builds for the R-7800 if any?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
ArjenR49
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 18:03    Post subject: Reasons to switch to BS builds for the R-7800 if any? Reply with quote
It looks like Kong has dropped developing DD-WRT for the R7800 for the time being.

Switching to OpenWRT firmware by Kong would most likely require a totally new setup from the ground up, so I don't consider that now.

What to expect in the near future? If Kong doesn't return to DD-WRT for the R7800, when should I consider switching over to BS builds?
My R7800 has been running the latest Kong build 39855M since its inception and it's been stable for my use since.

However, BS won't be working on new versions just for the sheer fun of rewriting the code, so certainly at some point in time there will be new features and current features markedly improved.

Installing a newer BS build in place of 39855M would for the most part allow being set up along the same lines as Kong's builds, I expect, but is there a BS build that is worth trying / as stable as Kong's latest?
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
To early to say. The latest commits by BS, may contain changes that are not applicable to the R7800 and therefore no reason for Kong to make a new build.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong hasn't dropped support for the beloved R7800. He's likely super busy at work before the summer break/vacation/shutdown and hasn't taken the time to release a new build.

When he has the spare time, right now, he chooses to build openwrt builds because of throughput and "stability" plus the ease of adding on features/packages for his personal/work needs. Dd-wrt is not as flexible for packages like openwrt is and it's why kong has been focused on it as of late.

For now, don't panic, he will release something when he's got time for it. He volunteers these builds for all of us, be grateful! We all need down time too once in a while.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
ArjenR49
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Many thanks both of you for the explanation!
Now I understand much better where we stand. Of course I'm thankful for Kong's - and Brain Slayer's - efforts, and indeed AFAIK dd-wrt 39855M works a treat.

From reading the forum I had figured that Kong has his own DD-WRT fork separate from BrainSlayer's, but apparently this is not the case.

As sometimes free software is said/rumoured to have nobody developing it any longer, even though it still forms part of a Linux distribution (like Back in Time(?)), I had started wondering ...
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do have new builds, but decided not to post them. I don't see any of the mentioned issues from the latest build on mine, not sure why webif and other things are broken on latest BS build, probably some feature, that's causing it that is not included in my build.

But since I know people are going complain again saying that I hold back fixes, I better not upload them.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
I do have new builds, but decided not to post them. I don't see any of the mentioned issues from the latest build on mine, not sure why webif and other things are broken on latest BS build, probably some feature, that's causing it that is not included in my build.

But since I know people are going complain again saying that I hold back fixes, I better not upload them.

Don't wait too long to upload them. It's been over a month since your last update. Many of us only use your builds since you actually test yours and know that they work before you release them. Cool

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
you actually test yours

I just thinking that is the whole point.
You can't very well put it together and throw it out there and expect all to be ok without some time to test Razz
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
htismaqe wrote:
you actually test yours

You can't very well put it together and throw it out there and expect all to be ok without some time to test Razz

Of course. But it's difficult not to notice that DD-WRT releases have slowed as OpenWRT releases have increased. Some of us don't want to go through that level of "change" so we hold out hope that another DD-WRT is coming soon.

I for one won't ever use a BS build. Just look at the forum from the past 48 or so hours.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
mrjcd wrote:
htismaqe wrote:
you actually test yours

Of course. But it's difficult not to notice that DD-WRT releases have slowed as OpenWRT releases have increased. Some of us don't want to go through that level of "change" so we hold out hope that another DD-WRT is coming soon.

I for one won't ever use a BS build. Just look at the forum from the past 48 or so hours.

Be patient and grateful...stop complaining/whining... you're getting free firmware...keep things in perspective.

Reading between the lines on Kong's comments- One has to assume that he (Kong) doesn't see the need to throw out a new update based on the new commits BS has made, to date. When something worthwhile is made, Kong will issue a new release. Until then, revert to my first statement.

Thanks for all you do BS & Kong!

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI -
I installed BS r40184 on EA8500 switch this morning and GUI goes bad after 1 ~ 2 minutes.
I did a nvram erase && reboot but same mess. Since NO telnet after you do a reset until you apply settings somewheres.
Which has been same for long long for me with EA8500 and other routers.
AND
No 'Apply Settings' button in broken webif so I can see where some are screwed if they do a reset when or after installing these
broken webif builds. Imma just lucky the EA8500 has two boot parts and the power on/off/on 3 times made it boot to good r40134
or I would have to use serial. Not that serial is a problem since I’ve had serial cable attached to this unit for few years .... just ain't got time for all that right now

I suspect Mr K will release when he is sure this new GUI webif buggy crap will not affect his stuff.
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
htismaqe wrote:
mrjcd wrote:
htismaqe wrote:
you actually test yours

Be patient and grateful...stop complaining/whining... you're getting free firmware...keep things in perspective.

Reading between the lines on Kong's comments- One has to assume that he (Kong) doesn't see the need to throw out a new update based on the new commits BS has made, to date. When something worthwhile is made, Kong will issue a new release. Until then, revert to my first statement.

First of all, there is nothing about what I said that is whining. It is an observation and a concern only. I am both patient AND grateful.

I've also had several private conversations with Kong and have given him money to support his efforts. I don't need a lecture, thank you.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:29    Post subject: Re: Reasons to switch to BS builds for the R-7800 if any? Reply with quote
ArjenR49 wrote:
It looks like Kong has dropped developing DD-WRT for the R7800 for the time being.

Switching to OpenWRT firmware by Kong would most likely require a totally new setup from the ground up, so I don't consider that now.

What to expect in the near future? If Kong doesn't return to DD-WRT for the R7800, when should I consider switching over to BS builds?
My R7800 has been running the latest Kong build 39855M since its inception and it's been stable for my use since.

However, BS won't be working on new versions just for the sheer fun of rewriting the code, so certainly at some point in time there will be new features and current features markedly improved.

Installing a newer BS build in place of 39855M would for the most part allow being set up along the same lines as Kong's builds, I expect, but is there a BS build that is worth trying / as stable as Kong's latest?

the reason to not use bs builds (especially on ipq806x) is the same reasons since that day he went to k4.x and broke them. years ago..

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Doppel-D
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 18:00    Post subject: Luxery to have choices.... Reply with quote
Kong is exploring openwrt? Good choice, did the same thing some years ago ;- )

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:

I totally agree!!

I'm happily on Kongat 39855M on my R7800 and lately installed Entware for DNSCrypt-Proxy V2 along with ip-full for YAMon3 with IPv6. I also installed Kongac 39855M on a spare R7000 with Entware to run DNSCrypt-Proxy V2 & ip-full for YAMon3 for family members.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: