XR500 - Internet Access Control Rules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
peter223
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 19:25    Post subject: XR500 - Internet Access Control Rules Reply with quote
Hello,

I have Netgear XR500 router and I want to set multiple access rules (5-20) like this: allow the host with MAC address 00-11-22-33-44-AA to connect only to IPs in the range 1.2.3.1 - 1.2.3.255, and forbid other hosts in the LAN to access the Internet.

I was surprised to find out that such feature is not available on this router (it's available on my old $30 TP LINK router!).

Are such internet access control rules possible on the DD-WRT firmware? I just want to make sure before spending half day figuring out how to flash it.

Thanks,
Peter
Sponsor
iLbsLi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:37    Post subject: Re: XR500 - Internet Access Control Rules Reply with quote
I sense that you're still using the dumaos, if correct then stay on it, unless you want to brick your router and spend a lot of time trying to bring it back to life, which is easy if you know how, but I say wait until it's clear that the firmware is OK by checking other posts about the xr500 before you do anything Wink

peter223 wrote:
Hello,

I have Netgear XR500 router and I want to set multiple access rules (5-20) like this: allow the host with MAC address 00-11-22-33-44-AA to connect only to IPs in the range 1.2.3.1 - 1.2.3.255, and forbid other hosts in the LAN to access the Internet.

I was surprised to find out that such feature is not available on this router (it's available on my old $30 TP LINK router!).

Are such internet access control rules possible on the DD-WRT firmware? I just want to make sure before spending half day figuring out how to flash it.

Thanks,
Peter
peter223
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:49    Post subject: Re: XR500 - Internet Access Control Rules Reply with quote
Yes, I'm using the DumaOS and according to their tech support they don't support this feature (mentioned in my original post), so I have to either flash the router with firmware that does support it or return it and get a new one...

So my question is, does DD WRT support this feature? BTW, I've read on this forum, that XR500 is the same as R7800, which was recommended here, so there shouldn't be a risk of bricking it, correct?

Anyway, really disappointed with Netgear for not supporting this on a $250 router and for not having any customer support (there's no netgear email customer support, only a forum where nobody replied)!

iLbsLi wrote:
I sense that you're still using the dumaos, if correct then stay on it, unless you want to brick your router and spend a lot of time trying to bring it back to life, which is easy if you know how, but I say wait until it's clear that the firmware is OK by checking other posts about the xr500 before you do anything Wink
iLbsLi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:55    Post subject: Re: XR500 - Internet Access Control Rules Reply with quote
You can try to flash it but you're more likely to brick it, as I said just keep following the threads for success stories, some people got it working, I and few other couldn't, if you want to try make sure you know how to use tftpd64 with the dumaos firmware to flash the router back if your router got bricked.

peter223 wrote:
Yes, I'm using the DumaOS and according to their tech support they don't support this feature (mentioned in my original post), so I have to either flash the router with firmware that does support it or return it and get a new one...

So my question is, does DD WRT support this feature? BTW, I've read on this forum, that XR500 is the same as R7800, which was recommended here, so there shouldn't be a risk of bricking it, correct?

Anyway, really disappointed with Netgear for not supporting this on a $250 router and for not having any customer support (there's no netgear email customer support, only a forum where nobody replied)!

iLbsLi wrote:
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a FW for the XR500

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/06-20-2019-r40065/netgear-xr500/
peter223
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does it support access control (for example: allow the host with MAC address 00-11-22-33-44-AA to connect only to IPs in the range 1.2.3.1 - 1.2.3.255, allow other host with different MAC to connect to any IP, and forbid other hosts in the LAN to access the Internet)?

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
There is a FW for the XR500

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/06-20-2019-r40065/netgear-xr500/
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
peter223 wrote:
Does it support access control (for example: allow the host with MAC address 00-11-22-33-44-AA to connect only to IPs in the range 1.2.3.1 - 1.2.3.255, allow other host with different MAC to connect to any IP, and forbid other hosts in the LAN to access the Internet)?

Yes, this can be done with IPtables.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: