Repeater/Client Bridge Mode on MediaTek Devices (DIR-882)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
martopg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:58    Post subject: Repeater/Client Bridge Mode on MediaTek Devices (DIR-882) Reply with quote
I got the DIR-882 off the Amazon Treasure Truck a while back with hopes to use it as a wireless bridge via DD-WRT.

I loaded broly's build 39800 and tried to set it up as a repeater bridge based on the info HERE.

I've used DD-WRT for client/repeater bridges on other devices in the past with much success but... couldn't get it to work on the DIR-882.

Has anyone gotten this to work on the DIR-882 or any other MediaTek device? Any special tips/tricks?

My upstream AP is a Netgear R7800.
Sponsor
jalfraag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 21:26    Post subject: Re: Repeater/Client Bridge Mode on MediaTek Devices (DIR-882 Reply with quote
martopg wrote:
I got the DIR-882 off the Amazon Treasure Truck a while back with hopes to use it as a wireless bridge via DD-WRT.

I loaded broly's build 39800 and tried to set it up as a repeater bridge based on the info HERE.

I've used DD-WRT for client/repeater bridges on other devices in the past with much success but... couldn't get it to work on the DIR-882.

Has anyone gotten this to work on the DIR-882 or any other MediaTek device? Any special tips/tricks?

My upstream AP is a Netgear R7800.

38159 works and some later versions as long as they have kernel 3.18. Kernel 4.XX do not work at all no matter whose build you use.
I use repeater on 2.4ghz and AP on 5ghz and it works fine.
martopg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 19:22    Post subject: Re: Repeater/Client Bridge Mode on MediaTek Devices (DIR-882 Reply with quote
jalfraag wrote:

38159 works and some later versions as long as they have kernel 3.18. Kernel 4.XX do not work at all no matter whose build you use.

Thanks for the info!

Finally found some time to loop back to this. Downloaded and installed 38159. Unfortunately, still couldn't get any success with repeater bridge.

Main difference from your setup is I'm trying to do this on the 5GHz band, but I can't imagine that would be the source of my issues.

Tried everything I could think of including turning off encryption, dumbing down the wireless to 20MHz channels, etc. etc.

I get to the point where the wireless status page will show the SSID, the channel, and a data rate, but does not show the upstream router in the device list (I think it should) and just doesn't work. Looking at the ARP table on the D-Link, it shows the IP of the upstream router with "<incomplete>" for the MAC...

Do you have this working with WPA2-AES? Does your upstream device show up in the Wireless Nodes section of the wireless status page? For the Wireless Network Mode, did you leave it as Mixed or change to something else? Anything else special you had to do?

Any other info would be appreciated.
jalfraag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:29    Post subject: Re: Repeater/Client Bridge Mode on MediaTek Devices (DIR-882 Reply with quote
martopg wrote:
jalfraag wrote:

Thanks for the info!

Finally found some time to loop back to this. Downloaded and installed 38159. Unfortunately, still couldn't get any success with repeater bridge.

Main difference from your setup is I'm trying to do this on the 5GHz band, but I can't imagine that would be the source of my issues.

Tried everything I could think of including turning off encryption, dumbing down the wireless to 20MHz channels, etc. etc.

I get to the point where the wireless status page will show the SSID, the channel, and a data rate, but does not show the upstream router in the device list (I think it should) and just doesn't work. Looking at the ARP table on the D-Link, it shows the IP of the upstream router with "<incomplete>" for the MAC...

Do you have this working with WPA2-AES? Does your upstream device show up in the Wireless Nodes section of the wireless status page? For the Wireless Network Mode, did you leave it as Mixed or change to something else? Anything else special you had to do?

Any other info would be appreciated.

I use repeater rather than repeater bridge.
The wireless connection to the 2.4ghz source does not show in the nodes section, only 5ghz clients.
It seems to work with N-only, mixed and N-G.
I tried linking on 5ghz without success although I didn't try too much after finding it worked with 2.4.
I connected via the wireless survey and then entered the password for the 2.4 band.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: