[Solved]DNS settings not taking effect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
sjdwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 16:14    Post subject: [Solved]DNS settings not taking effect Reply with quote
I changed my DNS settings on my wrt1900acsv2 (Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r40009 std (06/11/19)) to not use the default ISP DNS server and instead use Cloudflare DNS servers with Google DNS as the alternative. I have attached the screenshots of my setup. After rebooting the router, when I run traceroute to google.com ip on the dd-wrt ssh console it shows it is using the ISP DNS. Any idea what could be wrong with my setup?

Last edited by sjdwrt on Tue Jun 25, 2019 13:35; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
sjdwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have that - since the additional options window has a scroll bar those settings did not appear in the attached image.

strict-order
server=1.1.1.1
server=1.0.0.1
server=8.8.8.8

Thinking more about it, I guess on the traceroute the 192.168.1.254 is probably the wan port that dd-wrt router is talking to my ISP router - so is it possible that the correct DNS server is being used? How to verify that from the ssh console? I tried
"cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack"" as suggested in a forum post but that file does not exist anymore.
zakaron
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a very similar setup as you with the options:

no-resolv
server=x.x.x.x

in the DNSmasq option list in order to use custom DNS servers rather than ISP supplied servers from DHCP. If you want to verify that the router is actually using the DNS you specify, go to the Status page, scroll to the bottom, then click the number of "Active IP Connections". In the pop-up window, you can sort by service type, then look for any outside DNS connections and this will show what external server it is talking to.
sjdwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 19:48    Post subject: [Solved]:DNS settings not taking effect Reply with quote
Thank you so much for your help. I checked the active IP connections and on looking at dns entries it shows remote server address as 1.1.1.1 (and the other 2 as well). Also I checked the /proc/net/nf_conntrack and it also has entries for the DNS servers when I greped for dport=53. So I think the router is correctly using the configured DNS servers and not the ISP DNS. Once again thank you for all your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: