DIR-882 Cannot go back to stock firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
JavaGeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 15:45    Post subject: DIR-882 Cannot go back to stock firmware Reply with quote
I've been trying to revert my DIR-882 back to the stock firmware (I've been having WAY too many wireless issues with the latest version of DD-WRT v3.0-r40065 std (06/20/19) as well as all of the others I've tried). The router itself seems to function O.K. on the wired side with the exception of the http daemon seeming to crash every once in a while (which I got around by croning a httpd service restart). However, any wireless device seems to have issues connecting, staying connected and uploading through the router (on both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz channels).

Now, I'm trying to revert back to the stock firmware and cannot seem to do it. I've put the router into the emergency boot mode (holding reset and powering on until the power LED flashes). I'm able to get the web page (192.168.0.1) and choose the stock firmware from D-Link, but it will not upload. It starts uploading and then just gets a timed out / not responding page. I've tried, Chrome, FireFox, Edge and IE.

Really wish I didn't have to revert to stock firmware, but I've read every post on this router and tried almost every version published for this router (including the version by broly) and it is just very unstable with the wireless functionality.

Anybody have any ideas/suggestions on how to get back to the stock firmware?
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use this unencrypted firmware at this link ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/SECURITY_ADVISEMENTS/DIR-882/REVA/DIR-882_REVA_FIRMWARE_PATCH_v1.02B02_BETA.zip
Then you have to flash the next firmware. Look at the release notes ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/SECURITY_ADVISEMENTS/DIR-882/REVA/DIR-882_REVA_FIRMWARE_PATCH_NOTES_1.02B02_BETA_EN.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Use this unencrypted firmware at this link ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/SECURITY_ADVISEMENTS/DIR-882/REVA/DIR-882_REVA_FIRMWARE_PATCH_v1.02B02_BETA.zip
Then you have to flash the next firmware. Look at the release notes ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/SECURITY_ADVISEMENTS/DIR-882/REVA/DIR-882_REVA_FIRMWARE_PATCH_NOTES_1.02B02_BETA_EN.pdf

Unfortunately that un-encrypted firmware did not work either. Same symptoms. The emergency recovery page comes up, I browse for the firmware file and hit upload. After about 3-5 seconds the browser refreshes with a "request timed out" and the power LED just continues to blink forever. It looks like I get one shot at loading the page as well. Once the page loads, if I just hit refresh on the browser I get that same timeout message to happen. The router still boots up on the DD-WRT firmware fine...I just cannot seem to get it flashed back to stock. Any other way to install the firmware? TFTP or something similar?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you setting a static up on your pc?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Are you setting a static up on your pc?

Yes (I used 192.168.0.3).
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to be sure, this is what you are using? ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/SECURITY_ADVISEMENTS/DIR-882/REVA/DIR882A1_FW102B02_for_wpa2_issue_Uncrypt.bin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT v3.0-r39296 std (03/27/19)
This is the one I, and a quite a few others, are using. The latest firmwares have not proved to be stable.
JavaGeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Just to be sure, this is what you are using? ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/SECURITY_ADVISEMENTS/DIR-882/REVA/DIR882A1_FW102B02_for_wpa2_issue_Uncrypt.bin

Yes, that is the firmware that I'm using when trying to flash back to stock. It's strange. If I simply hit refresh on the browser after the recovery page load it just times out the second time. And the post on the form to upload the firmware doesn't seem to actually upload....it just hangs for a few seconds and then times out.
JavaGeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Iangh wrote:
DD-WRT v3.0-r39296 std (03/27/19)
This is the one I, and a quite a few others, are using. The latest firmwares have not proved to be stable.

Yeah, I was running that version for a few days after reading that other folks had luck with that rev, but to me it wasn't any more stable than any of the other versions. I did the usual 30-30-30 resets and the nvram erase after each flash. The wireless connections are just totally unstable for me. I'm using the WPA2 Personal with TKIP (I thought I had read somewhere that the AES encryption was broken).
Iangh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
JavaGeek wrote:
I'm using the WPA2 Personal with TKIP (I thought I had read somewhere that the AES encryption was broken).

Using WPA2-PSK AES and working fine. Try it. I find it super stable with hardly any errors.
JavaGeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Iangh wrote:
JavaGeek wrote:
I'm using the WPA2 Personal with TKIP (I thought I had read somewhere that the AES encryption was broken).

Using WPA2-PSK AES and working fine. Try it. I find it super stable with hardly any errors.

Unfortunately that has not been my experience :< I have constant network resets and the router usually crashes and reboot once or twice a day.

I was able to get back to the stock firmware using curl:

curl -X POST -v -i -F "firmware=@DIR882A1_FW102B02_for_wpa2_issue_Uncrypt.bin" http://192.168.0.1
casualtester
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
For others trying to revert to D-Link stock firmware,
Following worked for me using the firmware (DIR-878_A1_F/W:v1.00) that the DIR-878 was originally shipped with.
NOTE:
Since my router was not from EU, I used the source/Taiwan server to download original D-Link firmware.

davieboy wrote:
Had to register an throw my bit in.

I could not get any recovery to work on any computer using any of the methods described in other posts and regardless of o/s or browser combination the amount of time wasted attempting it was unreal, so i contacted dlink

They gave me the links to previous software versions, thats the problem and why the firmware from the main site doesn't flash, the recovery images listed on the support site are too new for the router - it must want the exact version it shipped with.

Grab them all from here ftp://ftp.dlink.eu/Products/dir/dir-878/driver_software/

MAKE SURE YOU SET THE STATIC IP CORRECTLY

boot into recovery mode and flash the newest or oldest first then work your way through them all until 1 flashes.

Mine was the second oldest and when the right file was selected away it went - installed with no problems first time.

after reboot all software was auto updated to the latest version

10 minutes it took in total!!!!

Hope this helps someone at some point, im quite confident o/s and browser didnt really matter in this day an age and the prob was purely the version of file i was trying to install
kabi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="JavaGeek"][quote="Iangh"]
JavaGeek wrote:
I'm using
I was able to get back to the stock firmware using curl:

curl -X POST -v -i -F "firmware=@DIR882A1_FW102B02_for_wpa2_issue_Uncrypt.bin" http://192.168.0.1

Save yourself a BIG portion of time - and just use MS Internet Explorer on Win10 - when trying to use the 'Firmware recovery page on 882'

I've already wasted some of time to discovery this.

The page is badly written and relies on certain behavior of Viewer - so when used with MSIE - all works with any firmware.

On Linux with Firefox only very few firmwares are loadadle...
casualtester
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
kabi wrote:
... when used with MSIE - all works with any firmware...

Using Internet Explorer did not work on my DIR-878 Rev.A.
Tried various D-Link firmware with Internet Explorer and it finally worked using the original shipped firmware by D-Link.
kabi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
casualtester wrote:
kabi wrote:
... when used with MSIE - all works with any firmware...

Using Internet Explorer did not work on my DIR-878 Rev.A.
Tried various D-Link firmware with Internet Explorer and it finally worked using the original shipped firmware by D-Link.

The major difference I've observed was - on Linux - you had to use various 'quirks' like loading recovery page with first on the first recovery boot of router - then rebooting router again - and trying to upload the file (hit upload button) - in most cases router has not accepted image - and when it DID - it's been silently uploading and you could only observe blinking leds and hoping it's doing something.

On Windows 10 box & MSIE - you could upload ANY firmware and you can see percentage of progress being visible in the viewer (I believe this is major problem why it's such a big pain with other browsers - this percentage info was likely only tested for this use-case).

So primary question I'd have - have you seen percentage progress ?

When you say it has NOT worked - which Windows version and Internet explorer was in use ?
(So we can warn users further to avoid trying this version,
it's possible older version of i.e. WinXP could have same problems as on Linux)

For me - Win10 + MSIE (built-in) always works.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: