Router Database vs. Other Downloads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Author Message
KSandro
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 26 Jul 2018
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:48    Post subject: Router Database vs. Other Downloads Reply with quote
When I look in the router database under TP-Link WDR3600 1. x the following are supported:
v3. 0 [Beta] Build: 37305
v3. 0 [Beta] Build: 36698
v3. 0 [Beta] Build: 36527
v3. 0 [Beta] Build: 36410
v3. 0 [Beta] Build: 36330
v3. 0 [Beta] Build: 36247

Why can't I find the current version (06-20-2019-r40065) in the router database?
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 31 Jan 2015
Posts: 4833
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:19    Post subject: Re: Router Database vs. Other Downloads Reply with quote
KSandro wrote:
When I look in the router database under TP-Link WDR3600 1. x the following are supported:
v3. 0 [Beta] Build: 37305
v3. 0 [Beta] Build: 36698
v3. 0 [Beta] Build: 36527
v3. 0 [Beta] Build: 36410
v3. 0 [Beta] Build: 36330
v3. 0 [Beta] Build: 36247

Why can't I find the current version (06-20-2019-r40065) in the router database?

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/
|
|
|
The WDR3600v1 --
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/06-20-2019-r40065/tplink_tl-wdr3600v1/
KSandro
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 26 Jul 2018
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Where I can find the current betas, I know, thank you.
If only stable versions were offered in the router database, it would be clear to me.
Since there are only betas to be found there, why not immediately the most current version.
Is there a reason for that?
Are these to be regarded as "stable" or at least "more stable"?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 2327
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
KSandro wrote:
Where I can find the current betas, I know, thank you.
If only stable versions were offered in the router database, it would be clear to me.
Since there are only betas to be found there, why not immediately the most current version.
Is there a reason for that?
Are these to be regarded as "stable" or at least "more stable"?


My best guess is that when the router database was updated, the ball was dropped and it's not kept current, which is why it's always a good idea to check the appropriate forum's build threads....
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 2357
Location: Indy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
KSandro wrote:
Where I can find the current betas, I know, thank you.
If only stable versions were offered in the router database, it would be clear to me.
Since there are only betas to be found there, why not immediately the most current version.
Is there a reason for that?
Are these to be regarded as "stable" or at least "more stable"?
All builds are beta. The Router Database used to only list random old (usually 'minimum supported version') builds; but they changed it last year to (eventually...) just point to the latest build. Before, after, and forevermore, the advice has been to not use it. Much better to read the FAQ. Wink
_________________
# NAT/SFE/CTF: limited speed w/ DD # Repeater issues # DD-WRT info: FAQ, Builds, Types, Modes, Changes, Demo #
x64 OPNsense 19.7.5|EA6900v1.1@1GHz, F7D8302 FT2019.3b|DD 41218: WNDR4500v2, WNDR4000@533, E1500@353,
E2500, R6300v1, WRT54*@250: GLv1.1 nsg, GSv6 µ
|RT-N66U@663 Merlin 380.70|OEM: WGR614v10@400-WNR1000v3 mod
ATLien
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 23 Jul 2019
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 23:52    Post subject: wrt54G v3...latest & greatest? Reply with quote
Im also having the same issue as "KSandro".
Been through dozens of pages & ftp folders, that lead to a different firmware, each time.
Finally, found a page (see link below), that offered "14929 mini" firmware. Is this the latest?
If not, can someone point me to the newest version?
Thanks!

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v3.0
egc
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 4212
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
This really is amazing. but beeing the nice guy i am I will give you some pointers.

When you wan to install DDWRT start with the supported devices: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
Here the supported devices are listed and install guides/wikis.

Not all wiki's so if a wiki is not listed googel ddwrt wiki <router model>

Builds can be found: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/ and if you can not FTP then here: https://dd-wrt.com/support/other-downloads/?path=betas%2F

Kong (also a ddwrt devloper) supports a small subset of routers with his own builds, he is using the same repository so differences are minor, but he always tests his builds first and has a "stable" build and test build. You can find his builds here: https://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/

Every Build has a build thread so you are encouraged to take a look in the build threads if the build you want to upload poses any problems.
Of course some wiki's are recommending builds and for a first flash you often have to upload a particular build.

See here for an example of a build thread of BS's build 40352 for Broadcom: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320520

_________________
Routers:Netgear R7800, Netgear R6400v1, Netgear R6400v2, Linksys EA6900 (XvortexCFE), Linksys E2000 (converted WRT320N), WRT54GS v1.
Install guide Linksys EA6900: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=291230
OpenVPN Policy Based Routing guide: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=321686
Install guide R6400v2:http://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316399
OpenVPN Server Setup:https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=318795
Install guide R7800: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320614
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 2357
Location: Indy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 13:10    Post subject: Re: wrt54G v3...latest & greatest? Reply with quote
ATLien wrote:
Im also having the same issue as "KSandro". Been through dozens of pages & ftp folders, that lead to a different firmware, each time.
Finally, found a page (see link below), that offered "14929 mini" firmware. Is this the latest?
If not, can someone point me to the newest version?
The build numbers are incremental, ref: https://svn.dd-wrt.com/timeline?ticket=on

Thus 14929 is pretty far from latest:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2010/08-12-10-r14929/

That was just an old standard (Peacock announcement) "recommended" build, and the wiki lists it for initial flash as a known good starting point to then upgrade to a newer version.

So you could just go to the newest build, but then you don't know if it might (have a higher probability to...) brick your router. Thus one should always research the new build threads (as @egc noted) before flashing. This is in the FAQ ("Where do I download firmware?"->Note) linked in my previous post. Wink

_________________
# NAT/SFE/CTF: limited speed w/ DD # Repeater issues # DD-WRT info: FAQ, Builds, Types, Modes, Changes, Demo #
x64 OPNsense 19.7.5|EA6900v1.1@1GHz, F7D8302 FT2019.3b|DD 41218: WNDR4500v2, WNDR4000@533, E1500@353,
E2500, R6300v1, WRT54*@250: GLv1.1 nsg, GSv6 µ
|RT-N66U@663 Merlin 380.70|OEM: WGR614v10@400-WNR1000v3 mod
ATLien
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 23 Jul 2019
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 0:34    Post subject: Re: wrt54G v3...latest & greatest? Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
ATLien wrote:
Im also having the same issue as "KSandro". Been through dozens of pages & ftp folders, that lead to a different firmware, each time.
Finally, found a page (see link below), that offered "14929 mini" firmware. Is this the latest?
If not, can someone point me to the newest version?
The build numbers are incremental, ref: https://svn.dd-wrt.com/timeline?ticket=on

Thus 14929 is pretty far from latest:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2010/08-12-10-r14929/

That was just an old standard (Peacock announcement) "recommended" build, and the wiki lists it for initial flash as a known good starting point to then upgrade to a newer version.

So you could just go to the newest build, but then you don't know if it might (have a higher probability to...) brick your router. Thus one should always research the new build threads (as @egc noted) before flashing. This is in the FAQ ("Where do I download firmware?"->Note) linked in my previous post. Wink


Thanks. I've been on the ftp site before, looking for another firmware.
Actually, I've upgraded a few routers about 9-10 years ago using old BrainSlayer builds, and was curious as to how much the firmware has advanced over the years, if any.
It's a shame the site is sorta in shambles, and not as straight forward as it once was.
But, I'll tinker with Kong builds, and see what happens.
Again, Thanks. Very Happy
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 2357
Location: Indy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 17:06    Post subject: Re: wrt54G v3...latest & greatest? Reply with quote
ATLien wrote:
It's a shame the site is sorta in shambles, and not as straight forward as it once was.
But, I'll tinker with Kong builds, and see what happens.
It used to be straight forward? Smile

This is for a WRT54Gv3? Kong builds are only for newer devices. Only MIPS build still out there is for a WNR3500Lv2:
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MIPSEL/

You just want the normal broadcom builds, maybe like 33772 or 33555, unless you want to play around. Newer BCM builds have had lots of various problems. Always read the new build threads before flashing.

_________________
# NAT/SFE/CTF: limited speed w/ DD # Repeater issues # DD-WRT info: FAQ, Builds, Types, Modes, Changes, Demo #
x64 OPNsense 19.7.5|EA6900v1.1@1GHz, F7D8302 FT2019.3b|DD 41218: WNDR4500v2, WNDR4000@533, E1500@353,
E2500, R6300v1, WRT54*@250: GLv1.1 nsg, GSv6 µ
|RT-N66U@663 Merlin 380.70|OEM: WGR614v10@400-WNR1000v3 mod
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum