TP-Link Archer A7v5 (US) AC1750

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
SpookyNoodle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
SpookyNoodle wrote:
Many of those Services Names don't exist in my UI > NAT/QoS > QoS > Services Priority, so I'm not sure how to make my settings match.

You need to manually add them by simply copy & pasting.

Enter these in services priority by using the lower "add/edit" button, use the order listed below with priority listed below. It's a three step process:
1-add names & port range. (Separate window pops up) (Use "add" to enter more priorities and then you apply settings).
2-Select all the priority names you just added- Use "add".
3- Then apply the actual priority and apply settings.

***For ip_icmp & ip_icmpv6 (If using IPv6)- it's already in list as nDPI service so you don't have to add the last two***

FTP_PORT -----------> tcp 20-21 -------> express
HTTPS_PORT --------> tcp 443-443 ----> premium
HTTP_ALT_PORTS ---> tcp 8080-8090 --> express
HTTP_PORT ----------> tcp 80-80 -------> express
UDP53+_PORTS -----> udp 53-65535 --> maximum
ip_icmp ------------------------------------> maximum
ip_icmpv6 ----------------------------------> maximum

SpookyNoodle wrote:
Also, do you have any suggestions for how I can better secure my RDP sessions? Right now I've been SSH tunneling using PuTTY, then just connecting to my localhost on a specific port.

I don't use RDP at all due to hack-ability reasons. I would use a different incoming port to go to 3389, but I have had people ping all the ports on my router and try to gain access even using this method, so I can't comment on best practices for RDP- Use TeamViewer with strong encryption?

I had Fibre installed and activated, and then applied the settings you gave me then, then I tried running the test again:

My speeds seems actually slower now, and that doesn't seem quite right. Any idea what's going on?

(Also, I really can't stand TeamViewer, it's super obtrusive. I'll stick to RDP through an SSH tunnel for now, but I'll find some tutorials so I don't have to pester you.)[/i]
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
SpookyNoodle wrote:
msoengineer wrote:
SpookyNoodle wrote:
Many of those Services Names don't exist in my UI > NAT/QoS > QoS > Services Priority, so I'm not sure how to make my settings match.

Enter these in services priority by using the lower "add/edit" button, use the order listed below with priority listed below. It's a three step process:
1-add names & port range. (Separate window pops up) (Use "add" to enter more priorities and then you apply settings).

***For ip_icmp & ip_icmpv6 (If using IPv6)- it's already in list as nDPI service so you don't have to add the last two***

SpookyNoodle wrote:
Also, do you have any suggestions for how I can better secure my RDP sessions? Right now I've been SSH tunneling using PuTTY, then just connecting to my localhost on a specific port.

I don't use RDP at all due to hack-ability reasons. I would use a different incoming port to go to 3389, but I have had people ping all the ports on my router and try to gain access even using this method, so I can't comment on best practices for RDP- Use TeamViewer with strong encryption?

I had Fibre installed and activated, and then applied the settings you gave me then, then I tried running the test again:

My speeds seems actually slower now, and that doesn't seem quite right. Any idea what's going on?

(Also, I really can't stand TeamViewer, it's super obtrusive. I'll stick to RDP through an SSH tunnel for now, but I'll find some tutorials so I don't have to pester you.)[/i]

I would first establish what you can push the r7800 to without any QoS applied to get a base line. Right now your ping latency is fantastic and you scored an A+ for all three, so you should be able to open up QoS settings on the R7800. You'll need to play around with the various packet schedulers and queing disciplines. The issue is that none of them were ever designed to handle your super fast fibre speeds. In theory HFSC and FQ_Codel are the latest and greatest, but several of us have noticed issues. I think the best for most has been HTB and FQ or HTB and PIE.

Also, make sure you're running a Kong build because he has properly set the loads/core affinity's properly.

You may actually want to play around with OpenWRT, but even Kong said that FQ_Codel was good to about 200-250mbps on the R7800. I don't know if he implemented new tweaks in his most recent build or not.

You're extremely lucky to have Fiber to play around with and just note that most residential stuff is still geared at/for 100mbps speeds, and up to 500mbps. The R7800 should be able to hit 800ish+ mbps without issue, and in theory fibre should have minimal bufferbloat out the box too so QoS should not be needed on a clean install.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
SpookyNoodle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
SpookyNoodle wrote:
msoengineer wrote:
SpookyNoodle wrote:

SpookyNoodle wrote:

I would first establish what you can push the r7800 to without any QoS applied to get a base line. Right now your ping latency is fantastic and you scored an A+ for all three, so you should be able to open up QoS settings on the R7800. You'll need to play around with the various packet schedulers and queing disciplines. The issue is that none of them were ever designed to handle your super fast fibre speeds. In theory HFSC and FQ_Codel are the latest and greatest, but several of us have noticed issues. I think the best for most has been HTB and FQ or HTB and PIE.

Also, make sure you're running a Kong build because he has properly set the loads/core affinity's properly.

You may actually want to play around with OpenWRT, but even Kong said that FQ_Codel was good to about 200-250mbps on the R7800. I don't know if he implemented new tweaks in his most recent build or not.

You're extremely lucky to have Fiber to play around with and just note that most residential stuff is still geared at/for 100mbps speeds, and up to 500mbps. The R7800 should be able to hit 800ish+ mbps without issue, and in theory fibre should have minimal bufferbloat out the box too so QoS should not be needed on a clean install.

I have no idea what most of those words mean...

R7800? I thought I was using an Archer A7 v5...

Additionally, I was getting 300 mbps on my old Comcast cable modem, with default router firmware, so it seems strange that upgrading to fibre, with new firmware would be slower rather than faster.

I have no idea how to distinguish a Kong build (I'm assuming of DD-WRT) over any of the other builds. I just went to the latest date in the 'betas' download section.

Additionally, I have no idea what those processes are, I just added them based on your recommendation; I figured you'd know more than I would about it.

Also, since DD-WRT has VPN options, do you think that I could set up OpenVPN to establish a more secure connection, and then just RDP into that as though I were on the local network? Do you know of a good tutorial for setting up OpenVPN?
SpookyNoodle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, so I've tried a few different things: different cables, thru router vs straight modem, and different computers, and there's only two factors that I can't determine which is causing the throttling of my internet:

1) My settings in DD-WRT

2) DD-WRT instead of my default firmware

3) My physical router

I'm going to try resetting my router back to factory firmware, since I have no idea which or what settings I would need to change to get good service.

I'm still curious about OpenVPN, if you're still reading this thread.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry about the R7800 mix-up...traveling and replying on a phone...

I would suggest resetting the dd-wrt to factory settings, set up your wifi, make sure SFE and STP are off on the settings page, don't turn on any qos and see what results you get. More importantly, see what happens on Lan to wan vs wifi to wan. A lot of the wifi performance is driver based on both the router and client. This router is using a Wave 1 chipset (5ghz) (QCA9880) that hasn't had new drivers released in a long long time. Support from QCA has been abandoned, from what I can tell. The 2.4ghz chipset can only offer 300mbps at best and real life performance is like 150ish mbps. For 5ghz it's around 400mbps.

The honest answer is that nearly no-one has posted about the A7 yet since it's new and it's not advertised on the router database as having support. To be honest, I was very surprised by the Archer C7v2 results I linked to on page 1 (the A7 is a clone). This router only has a 750mhz cpu; I think it would limit speeds when under load; especially what a fiber optic connection can supply. The other issue is that none of the Dev's have fiber to test real world on to be able to make the necessary tweaks. with no other user feedback, you're the guinea pig and have to share what you can.

You're going to be "stuck" using brainslayer builds as kong doesn't have the A7 to play around with, nor do I think he would be interested based on the specs the router has; this is a very entry level router and is a good "value" router, but it's not going to be a performance king; the specs are simply weak.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800] resting
SpookyNoodle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
Sorry about the R7800 mix-up...traveling and replying on a phone...

I would suggest resetting the dd-wrt to factory settings, set up your wifi, make sure SFE and STP are off on the settings page, don't turn on any qos and see what results you get. More importantly, see what happens on Lan to wan vs wifi to wan. A lot of the wifi performance is driver based on both the router and client. This router is using a Wave 1 chipset (5ghz) (QCA9880) that hasn't had new drivers released in a long long time. Support from QCA has been abandoned, from what I can tell. The 2.4ghz chipset can only offer 300mbps at best and real life performance is like 150ish mbps. For 5ghz it's around 400mbps.

The honest answer is that nearly no-one has posted about the A7 yet since it's new and it's not advertised on the router database as having support. To be honest, I was very surprised by the Archer C7v2 results I linked to on page 1 (the A7 is a clone). This router only has a 750mhz cpu; I think it would limit speeds when under load; especially what a fiber optic connection can supply. The other issue is that none of the Dev's have fiber to test real world on to be able to make the necessary tweaks. with no other user feedback, you're the guinea pig and have to share what you can.

You're going to be "stuck" using brainslayer builds as kong doesn't have the A7 to play around with, nor do I think he would be interested based on the specs the router has; this is a very entry level router and is a good "value" router, but it's not going to be a performance king; the specs are simply weak.

It's okay, travelling happens.

Also, do you have any routers that can handle gigabyte speeds? All of the testing I've been doing has been a wired connection from the router to the computer, so it's not an issue with the wifi chipset (unless that would somehow reduce 1.1 gigs to 150 mbs, which seems unlikely). I did try testing it out both with and without the QoS settings you showed me.

In addition, I did a 30/30/30 reset, but was unable to reset the router back to stock firmware. I also tried flashing the firmware from the TP-Link site, but after rebooting the router...just comes back to DD-WRT, but at factory settings.

In the event that this router just flat out can't handle GB speeds (which seems strange, given the results on the picture you posted), what would you recommend? The Nighthawk X10 is rated as the fastest one available, but it's extremely overkill for my needs, and way too expensive.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I mentioned...Brainslayer doesn't have a fiber link at home to test on, neither does kong; so they can't tweak things to know.

The other fact of the matter is that Gig speed is "bleeding edge" and very few of the existing routers on the market were ever designed with fiber speeds in mind. You have to realize these are consumer grade components and not server level components. We're still several years away from getting cost effective consumer grade hardware/routers for Gig speed tiers.

The R7800 is capable of decent speeds when you have gig speed from your ISP, but you won't be able to take advantage of the full provisioned speed due to hardware limits. The R9000 should be able to handle it with quad core cpu, but I haven't seen anyone with gig speed posting results. Maybe Labo?

I have an R9000 that I scored on ebay cheap, but I only have 180/12 from comcast and gig speed is still way too pricey for my needs; so no way to test.

[R7800] resting
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, to get back to stock, you don't do a 30/30/30. As I stated on page 1, never do a 30/30/30 on qualcom cpu routers. it can break things bad.

to get back to stock, you need to follow the tp-link revert instructions.
https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c5-c7-wdr7500#return_to_factory_firmware

[R7800] resting
SpookyNoodle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
Also, to get back to stock, you don't do a 30/30/30. As I stated on page 1, never do a 30/30/30 on qualcom cpu routers. it can break things bad.

to get back to stock, you need to follow the tp-link revert instructions.
https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c5-c7-wdr7500#return_to_factory_firmware

I've repeatedly tried to revert back to stock firmware by downloading the latest firmware from the OEM, and flashing it using the 'Upgrade Firmware' utility on DD-WRT, with no success.

The article you linked me details other steps, but I have no idea what they mean, and the name of my file doesn't contain 'boot' anyway, so I really have no idea what to do.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't use the dd-wrt gui to revert back. You have to use a tftp program to get it flashed and you have to follow specific instructions about the ip addresses to use.

The tp-link firmware files are here:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-a7/#Firmware

How to TFTP:
https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c5-c7-wdr7500#tftp_recovery_de-bricking

I use this TFTP program for windows: https://www.tftpd64.com/
if you have a Mac: http://www.mactechnologies.com/index.php?page=downloads#tftpclient

[R7800] resting
gasteadm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:52    Post subject: Archer A7 Back to Stock Reply with quote
Successfully recovered an Archer A7(US) back to stock.
Some points for a correct recovery is :
* I used Tftpd32 program.
* address is indeed 192.168.0.66
* You need to disable windows firewall
* Archer A7 doesn't has a WPS/Reset button but a Reset hole. You must use a paperclip to keep it pressed during boot.
* The file name A7 seeks is "ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin". I just renamed "Archer A7(US EU)_V5_181210.bin" to "ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin" and it worked flawlessly.

So recovering is positively tested !
More firmware testings are coming for my Archer A7.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tftp32 is the 32bit version for a 32bit os.
Most installations are now 64bit, thus tftp64. Other than that, you can use your tftp program of choice. Many are available.

Glad to see another user got it to revert. Why did you choose to revert to stock?

I know on my WDR3600 the newer builds had craptastic wifi performance and I had to use 36808...but that has different wifi, CPU, and lan chips...

[R7800] resting
SpookyNoodle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 17:10    Post subject: Re: Archer A7 Back to Stock Reply with quote
gasteadm wrote:
Successfully recovered an Archer A7(US) back to stock.
Some points for a correct recovery is :
* I used Tftpd32 program.
* address is indeed 192.168.0.66
* You need to disable windows firewall
* Archer A7 doesn't has a WPS/Reset button but a Reset hole. You must use a paperclip to keep it pressed during boot.
* The file name A7 seeks is "ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin". I just renamed "Archer A7(US EU)_V5_181210.bin" to "ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin" and it worked flawlessly.

So recovering is positively tested !
More firmware testings are coming for my Archer A7.

Okay, I'll try this method.

The wifi will disappear near constantly, and the speed is even worse than when I was on comcast, so I'm gonna try to reset to factory firmware, see if that improves stability or speed at all.

It seems incredible to believe that a shitty WNDR3700v1 with cable internet would perform worse than an Archer A7 v5 with fiber, so the only different factor is DD-WRT, which I thought I needed to send a WOL signal from outside my local network.

Now I don't even know what to think, but I'll reset to factory for the sake of comparison.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may want to try build 38507 which some have said is "Stable" on the C7.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/01-29-2019-r38507/tplink_archer-a7-v5/

I would follow this topic closely:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1163050#1163050

You're kind of on your own with this router for the time being. This router just got support in late 2018 and very few have had anything to post about it and stable builds.
Make sure that when you upgrade/downgrade from one dd-wrt build to the next that you "reset to defaults" in the gui. This assures you don't unintentionally create gremlins due to deep level code changes. If you run into issues, a reset is always the first place to start. You roll the dice when you update builds without a reset...

[R7800] resting
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I was able to score an A7v5 on Ebay for $25 for a buddy...I set it up just fine and I have a few tips and hopefully can get some tweaks made by BS...though 16mb flash...

If you have >100mbps... Q.o.S is majorly bunked up as of build 40750 and only HTB & Pie yield anything reasonable/close to inputted values. Also hurting things, processor is taxed to 90%+ when doing a speed test with HTB & PIE....I am very skeptical this router could handle anything beyond 200mbps with Q.o.S turned on...my 180/12 is kicking the A7v5's ass...

Next, for whatever reason, Cubic is not available as tcp congestion control....I would suggest to dump all the other options available and replace with Cubic, Westwood, and Hybla- Reno and Vegas are too old these days to use anymore. Linux uses Cubic as default so I am not sure why it's not on here already...

For $25, this is a good deal for A7v5's stature, but the R7800 is leaps and bounds the way to go if you can score one on Ebay for $70-$95.
Single core routers are good for speeds <150mbps for sure if you want any decent chance at Q.o.S.

HTB & Pie on wired:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/53495016

HTB & Cake on wired:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/53494529

HTB & FQ_Codel_fast on wired:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/53494717

[R7800] resting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: