IPV6 issue on Netgear R9000 Nighthawk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
froggy51
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 19:37    Post subject: IPV6 issue on Netgear R9000 Nighthawk Reply with quote
OK guys need a bit of help. I'm by no means a networking guy, and am really struggling to get IPV6 working with my router. My ISP (Andrews & Arnold) in the UK supports basically any configuration of IPV6. I elected for DHCPV6 with prefix delegation. I've installed the latest Kong build on the R9000, so I'm running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r39855M std (05/25/19). Settings listed below...

ipv6 enable
DHCPV6 with prefix delegation
Prefix length = 64
Static DNS 1: 2606:4700:4700::1111 (Cloudflare)
Static DNS 2: 2606:4700:4700::1001
MTU: 1452

Everything else disabled apart from Radvd which is enabled.

I also added "ifconfig eth0 promisc" to Admin>Commands>Startup (although I understand it should no longer really be needed in this firmware version.

When I do this I can see the router is obtaining an IPV6 address in the top right corner of the DD-WRT homepage, however when I log in to ipv6-test I get a test indicating I'm NOT using ipv6! It comes out with something helpful saying your ISP supports it but... yada yada yada (score 4/10 Evil or Very Mad ). Same with other ipv6 test sites....

Any help or advice on how to solve my IPV6 issue is greatly appreciated. What am I doing wrong? It's driving me nuts. Confused
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 20:55    Post subject: Re: IPV6 issue on Netgear R9000 Nighthawk Reply with quote
froggy51 wrote:
OK guys need a bit of help. I'm by no means a networking guy, and am really struggling to get IPV6 working with my router. My ISP (Andrews & Arnold) in the UK supports basically any configuration of IPV6. I elected for DHCPV6 with prefix delegation. I've installed the latest Kong build on the R9000, so I'm running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r39855M std (05/25/19). Settings listed below...

ipv6 enable
Prefix length = 64

I also added "ifconfig eth0 promisc" to Admin>Commands>Startup (although I understand it should no longer really be needed in this firmware version.

When I do this I can see the router is obtaining an IPV6 address in the top right corner of the DD-WRT homepage, however when I log in to ipv6-test I get a test indicating I'm NOT using ipv6! It comes out with something helpful saying your ISP supports it but... yada yada yada (score 4/10 Evil or Very Mad ). Same with other ipv6 test sites....

Any help or advice on how to solve my IPV6 issue is greatly appreciated. What am I doing wrong? It's driving me nuts. Confused

Firstly, are your clients set up to accept an IPv6?
Which tests failed?

Also, have you looked at this yet?
https://support.aa.net.uk/IPv6

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
froggy51
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 21:04    Post subject: Re: IPV6 issue on Netgear R9000 Nighthawk Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
froggy51 wrote:

ipv6 enable
Prefix length = 64

Firstly, are your clients set up to accept an IPv6?
Which tests failed?

Thanks for the reply.

I've just run the test again from my iPhone X. Not sure what I need to do to enable the iPhone X for ipv6. If there's a setting I need to enable, I've not done so. Please see a pic of the iPhone X ipv6 test. Score 4/20. Any thoughts?

Despite the failed tests, like I say, I do get a valid ipv6 address assigned to the wan side of the router. (Shown in top right).
franksddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:38    Post subject: Re: IPV6 issue on Netgear R9000 Nighthawk Reply with quote
In addition to turning on “DHCPV6 with prefix delegation”, which gets an ipv6 address for the WAN interface, make sure you also enable “dhcp6s” further down the page, which turns on the dhcp6 server in dd-wrt which hands out dhcp6 IPs to your clients.
froggy51
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:01    Post subject: Re: IPV6 issue on Netgear R9000 Nighthawk Reply with quote
franksddwrt wrote:
In addition to turning on “DHCPV6 with prefix delegation”, which gets an ipv6 address for the WAN interface, make sure you also enable “dhcp6s” further down the page, which turns on the dhcp6 server in dd-wrt which hands out dhcp6 IPs to your clients.

Thanks for the tip. I've turned on this setting and rebooted the router. Still no dice. Presumably I don't need to power cycle the modem too?

Below is a pic of my current ipv6 detup.

Thanks for any further thoughts.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
turn off Radvd and dhcp6s and use DNSMasq.

In addtional dnsmasq settings:

quiet-dhcp
quiet-dhcp6
quiet-ra
enable-ra
dhcp-range=::10,::200,constructor:br0,ra-names,slaac,64,24h

With a 64 prefix length you can only get one sub-net. Are you not going to make a guest network?
froggy51
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
turn off Radvd and dhcp6s and use DNSMasq.

In addtional dnsmasq settings:

quiet-dhcp
quiet-dhcp6
quiet-ra
enable-ra
dhcp-range=::10,::200,constructor:br0,ra-names,slaac,64,24h

With a 64 prefix length you can only get one sub-net. Are you not going to make a guest network?

Thanks. Tried this... too. Still no dice. DNSMasq settings below. I give up... lol.

I do have a Guest network - but happy to figure that out later. Main priority just getting ipv6 on my main network running smooth.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
dhcp6c custom:

interface eth0 {
send ia-pd 0;
send rapid-commit;
script "/sbin/dhcp6c-state";
};
id-assoc pd 0 {
prefix ::/48 infinity;
prefix-interface br0 {
sla-id 0;
sla-len 16;
};
prefix-interface br1 {
sla-id 1;
sla-len 16;
};
prefix-interface eth1.3 {
sla-id 2;
sla-len 16;
};
};
id-assoc na 0 { };

Your isp may give you prefix length 48, 56 or 60

Prefix-len+sla-len=64

Did you check with "ifconfig" that your router's interfaces have an IPv6 address?
froggy51
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK phoned my ISP. They said that for some reason I had no /48 allocation. Anyway, this is apparently now fixed. Tried the above dhcp6c custom, still nothing.

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Did you check with "ifconfig" that your router's interfaces have an IPv6 address?

Not sure how to do this. Only thing I know right now is I get an ipv6 address allocated in the top right corner of the router home page. How do I check other interfaces?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
From the command prompt (telnet or ssh)
RobrPatty
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
froggy51 wrote:
OK phoned my ISP. They said that for some reason I had no /48 allocation. Anyway, this is apparently now fixed. Tried the above dhcp6c custom, still nothing.

Per Yngve Berg wrote:

Not sure how to do this. Only thing I know right now is I get an ipv6 address allocated in the top right corner of the router home page. How do I check other interfaces?

Its ipconfig/all with command prompt. Mine shows I do have IPv6 addresses. But my actual NIC says I don't. I figure is just a glitch. As long as ipconfig/all says I have an address than I do.
BTW why is there a r38124 beta version listed as released yesterday?
BarkingSpider
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found that under the Security Tab, Un-tick "Filter Multicast", save/apply. That allowed my ipv6 to function.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
BarkingSpider wrote:
I found that under the Security Tab, Un-tick "Filter Multicast", save/apply. That allowed my ipv6 to function.

Nope did not work. I think it has to do with R9000 specific.
yodog
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe try enabling the wifi security password / enable WPA2 GGCP and use the same password as your 5ghz network? I dunno about you guys but I seem to have less errors with anything internet related, including within internet games when I change it from the default disabled wifi security password for the 60ghz network, to a WPA2/GGCP or whatever it's called and I type the same password as the password I use for my 5ghz wireless AC network.

Could also be maybe you need to manually type in the gateway and stuff instead of leaving it the default 0.0.0.0 ?

Not really sure, I am out of ideas but if you ever get it solved please do post here as I am curious what the fix really was/is.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
RobrPatty wrote:
Its ipconfig/all with command prompt. Mine shows I do have IPv6 addresses. But my actual NIC says I don't. I figure is just a glitch. As long as ipconfig/all says I have an address than I do.

Then you have a local command prompt in Windows, not the console of the router. The router have "ifconfig".

franksddwrt wrote:
In addition to turning on “DHCPV6 with prefix delegation”, which gets an ipv6 address for the WAN interface

The Global IPv6 address is on br0, not the WAN
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: