WRT1900 ACS V1 - Frustrated, Fed Up and Back on Stock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
ddkt
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 Mar 2016
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:51    Post subject: WRT1900 ACS V1 - Frustrated, Fed Up and Back on Stock Reply with quote
This is a plea to the developers... DD-WRT is unusable on the 1900ACS, and has been for some time now. I've been a member of this forum and a DD-WRT user for many years. It's always been my favorite firmware. Not so lately. DD-WRT on the 1900ACS is unfortunately a broken piece of junk.

What the heck is going on? I like to tinker as much as anyone, but a router should be one of those things that you can configure and then mostly forget about. I've spent countless hours trying to find a stable configuration for my 1900ACS and I surrender. Even with the most simple setup, the 5GHz radio eventually just dies, and then doesn't restart after a reboot.

I know I can't be the only one feeling this frustration. And being an engineer, I'm always looking for solutions. But I'm at my wits end with this firmware. Devs, please. Maybe take a step back, stop with the new features, and fix the code base that's there now.


Last edited by ddkt on Fri Jun 07, 2019 22:13; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
ttowling
DD-WRT User


Joined: 01 Mar 2019
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 15:49    Post subject: Re: WRT1900ACS - Frustrated, Fed Up and Back on Stock Reply with quote
ddkt wrote:
This is a plea to the developers... DD-WRT is unusable on the 1900ACS, and has been for some time now. I've been a member of this forum and a DD-WRT user for many years. It's always been my favorite firmware. Not so lately. DD-WRT on the 1900ACS is unfortunately a broken piece of junk.

What the heck is going on? I like to tinker as much as anyone, but a router should be one of those things that you can configure and then mostly forget about. I've spent countless hours trying to find a stable configuration for my 1900ACS and I surrender. Even with the most simple setup, the 5GHz radio eventually just dies, and then doesn't restart after a reboot.

I know I can't be the only one feeling this frustration. And being an engineer, I'm always looking for solutions. But I'm at my wits end with this firmware. Devs, please. Maybe take a step back, stop with the new features, and fix the code base that's there now.


Which revision are you on? I've got the v2 and the radio dying isn't something I had so far experienced.

I suggest you flash back to stock and RMA if possible.
sharpless
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 10 Apr 2017
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 21:20    Post subject: 1900ACS V2 Reply with quote
The 5 GHZ radio died on mine also after about 2 months of use. I finally got it back up last night after changing the wireless settings to: N-Only, Wide HT40, Auto, Auto, then saving the settings and Rebooting via the Administration Mgmt tab. I tried a lot of combinations to get there and I can't tie the failure to upgrading or settings changes. 5 GHZ did work when I reverted to Linksys GUI and factory default, but it still wouldn't work on either the same version of DD-WRT or an upgrade with an NVRAM scrub after reinstallation. Good Luck.
ddkt
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 Mar 2016
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
The router works fine with stock FW. It's an ACS V1.
There's just something very very flaky with DD-WRT. As pointed out above, configuring the wifi settings are problematic. I have connection issues with my Pixel phone. When I am able to finally save a configuration that works, wifi speeds are great for maybe a day and then degrade to horrible.

To be fair, LEDE has many of the same issues. So we blame the wifi driver maybe? I think there's a reason that Kong gave up working on the Marvell versions...

Do not buy this router if you want to use alternative firmware.
ruprect
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
How did you go back to stock ?

I have the same router but don't have the issues you are having, I found 5GHZ flaky for a time but it seems stable now.
Cata2608
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 09 Feb 2019
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too blame the wifi driver, WRT32x has the same issues with ddwrt/lede.

I'am currently using stock FW 1.0.180118.3 (drv_9.1.1.5_fw_9.3.2.4), everything after this version has issues.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 587
Location: Yorkshire (GOC)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddkt wrote:
The router works fine with stock FW. It's an ACS V1.
There's just something very very flaky with DD-WRT. As pointed out above, configuring the wifi settings are problematic. I have connection issues with my Pixel phone. When I am able to finally save a configuration that works, wifi speeds are great for maybe a day and then degrade to horrible.

To be fair, LEDE has many of the same issues. So we blame the wifi driver maybe? I think there's a reason that Kong gave up working on the Marvell versions...

Do not buy this router if you want to use alternative firmware.


I remember that we had a similar experience with the WRT1900AC v1 a year, or so, back. BS broke it, accidentally, with a build and then it was completely unstable in all subsequent builds for the next nine months.

He eventually got round to fixing it and the builds have been stable ever since.

Suggest you keep posting tikets until something gets done about it.

_________________
Linksys WRT32X v1 - r41586
Linksys WRT1900AC v1 - r41586
TP-Link Archer C9 v1 - r41586
Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/
ellick
DD-WRT User


Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 240

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been running the latest openwrt and it's been solid for a year on my acs v.1. I had tried dd-wrt when installing that but could never get the 5ghz radio to work. That must have been during the time Yemble mentions it was broken.

I recently tried again and installed DD-WRT v3.0-r39884 and after a bit of fiddling around everything works. The time/date being off because of the time zone change on first install made the 2.4ghz wireless extremely slow but I have no idea why. I'd love it if someone could tell me why that makes a difference?

My needs are pretty simple. I have 400/20 cable and get full speeds without SFE on. I run QoS (fq_codel) that mitigates bufferbloat. I installed openvpn with policy based routing. Everything seems to run fine.
ddkt
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 Mar 2016
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
ellick wrote:
I've been running the latest openwrt and it's been solid for a year on my acs v.1. I had tried dd-wrt when installing that but could never get the 5ghz radio to work. That must have been during the time Yemble mentions it was broken.

I recently tried again and installed DD-WRT v3.0-r39884 and after a bit of fiddling around everything works. The time/date being off because of the time zone change on first install made the 2.4ghz wireless extremely slow but I have no idea why. I'd love it if someone could tell me why that makes a difference?

My needs are pretty simple. I have 400/20 cable and get full speeds without SFE on. I run QoS (fq_codel) that mitigates bufferbloat. I installed openvpn with policy based routing. Everything seems to run fine.


Give it a day or so...
ellick
DD-WRT User


Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 240

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I understand your frustration but what specific problems are you having? When I said I "recently" moved to dd-wrt I meant a couple of weeks.

You could try openwrt or Gargoyle and see if those are better. Openwrt worked fine but is overly complicated for me. I ran Gargoyle for a long time on my previous router and liked it a lot. It's QoS is inferior to dd-wrt or openwrt though and couldn't handle my increased cable speed (400/20).

In another thread it was mentioned that you should be sure to clear your nvram and return to defaults and not try to save settings when updating.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1167516#1167516
ddkt
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 Mar 2016
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I decided to try Davidc502's latest build of OpenWRT on my WRT1900ACSv1. It's working great. The 5GHz radio @80MHz width on AC mode is fast and stable. No problems with my Pixel phone. Seems almost like a miracle.
ellick
DD-WRT User


Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 240

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddkt wrote:
So I decided to try Davidc502's latest build of OpenWRT on my WRT1900ACSv1. It's working great. The 5GHz radio @80MHz width on AC mode is fast and stable. No problems with my Pixel phone. Seems almost like a miracle.


Very cool. Is Davidc502 the programmer of the latest beta rather than stable build?
I hope it continues for you.

I would have probably kept running Openwrt myself but I couldn't figure out how to get my vpn running under it. Smile dd-wrt seems fine too for me though and much easier for novices.
ddkt
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 Mar 2016
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know this is the DD-WRT forum so I'm hesitant to promote OpenWRT but it's been so much less frustrating than DD.

David just provides pre-configured snapshot builds. https://dc502wrt.org/

Anyone with a 1900ACS who having trouble with missing 5GH radio or slow wifi might want to try it.
ddkt
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 Mar 2016
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seeing a lot of posts about problems with the 1900ACS. Maybe try OpenWRT until the DD devs get their stuff straight, because it sure looks careless and broken right now.

Last edited by ddkt on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:28; edited 1 time in total
ttowling
DD-WRT User


Joined: 01 Mar 2019
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddkt wrote:
I know this is the DD-WRT forum so I'm hesitant to promote OpenWRT but it's been so much less frustrating than DD.

David just provides pre-configured snapshot builds. https://dc502wrt.org/

Anyone with a 1900ACS who having trouble with missing 5GH radio or slow wifi might want to try it.


Very interesting detail about AMSDU being disabled to reduce latency. The latency on the WRT1900ACS V2 is poor with DD WRT, particularly on 5GHz

Anyone know if it's possible to disable this on DD WRT?

See this post here
https://forum.archive.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=64949&p=161
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum