DD-WRT or OpenWRT of Kong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
MV_ddwrt19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 14:43    Post subject: DD-WRT or OpenWRT of Kong? Reply with quote
I've upgraded my R7800 to Kong's DD-WRT just few days before he begun releasing OpenWRT builds. This raised a question - is OpenWRT better or faster?

My setup is very simple - Comcast cable, no VPN use, no USB storage, no Voip, no QoS use, few computer on home lan, few phones and tablets, few security cameras with forwarded ports for access from outside, no gaming, Netflix, Youtube - all I'm looking for is fast Wi-Fi with good range and stable operation.

With that setup, would you recommend switching to OpenWRT?
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 14:57    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT or OpenWRT of Kong? Reply with quote
MV_ddwrt19 wrote:
I've upgraded my R7800 to Kong's DD-WRT just few days before he begun releasing OpenWRT builds. This raised a question - is OpenWRT better or faster?

My setup is very simple - Comcast cable, no VPN use, no USB storage, no Voip, no QoS use, few computer on home lan, few phones and tablets, few security cameras with forwarded ports for access from outside, no gaming, Netflix, Youtube - all I'm looking for is fast Wi-Fi with good range and stable operation.

You will gain a little bit of speed Wifi wise, but if you're not doing any QOS, there's really no reason to make the switch over. Open WRT and LuCi gui take a lot of patience to find things and there's no QAM 256 in 2.4ghz either (not that many clients can use HT40 256QAM anyway)(I happen to own two Xiaomi MiPad 4/4+ tablets that can).
OpenWRT is also more strict on certain settings like HT40 on 2.4ghz. If OpenWrt detects other routers on the same channels- HT20 is the best you can get using OpenWRT; while DD-WRT lets you be a "dick" neighbor and force HT40. Also, all iOS and many Samsung & Google devices may revert/limit MCS speeds to HT20 regardless in 2.4ghz. I am lucky enough that several of my clients can take advantage of HT40 QAM256 and so I stick to Kong's dd-wrt build on the R7800(when in use)(otherwise I use the R9000 due to quad core and no freq scaling issue).

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 15:52    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT or OpenWRT of Kong? Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
MV_ddwrt19 wrote:

You will gain a little bit of speed Wifi wise, but if you're not doing any QOS, there's really no reason to make the switch over. Open WRT and LuCi gui take a lot of patience to find things and there's no QAM 256 in 2.4ghz either (not that many clients can use HT40 256QAM anyway)(I happen to own two Xiaomi MiPad 4/4+ tablets that can).
OpenWRT is also more strict on certain settings like HT40 on 2.4ghz. If OpenWrt detects other routers on the same channels- HT20 is the best you can get using OpenWRT; while DD-WRT lets you be a "dick" neighbor and force HT40. Also, all iOS and many Samsung & Google devices may revert/limit MCS speeds to HT20 regardless in 2.4ghz. I am lucky enough that several of my clients can take advantage of HT40 QAM256 and so I stick to Kong's dd-wrt build on the R7800(when in use)(otherwise I use the R9000 due to quad core and no freq scaling issue).

That's why there is an option under advanced settings in openwrt called force 40Mhz:-)

The reason why I use Openwrt nowadays is simple, updates usually don't break things. I kind of got tired running dozens of tests before I can flash it to my production router.

Besides that it just offers a lot of extra features and you can setup more complex things. E.g. running an isolated guest network now, with the same ssid same netmask and seamless roaming.
And last but not least, it makes it very easy for me to add new features. You can extend webif through packages, no need to modify the whole webif code.

Another advantage especially for stock Openwrt is, that everything you installed as a package can be updated without flashing a new build. That's why stock openwrt only comes with minimal stack of software, the drawback is, that you lack a lot of standard features, before you start installing packages, it does not even come with a webif by default. My build is kind of a mix between, comes with webif and a basic set of sw.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 21:39    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT or OpenWRT of Kong? Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
E.g. running an isolated guest network now, with the same ssid same netmask and seamless roaming.

I would love to see a tutorial on this config...

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 23:10    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT or OpenWRT of Kong? Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
E.g. running an isolated guest network now, with the same ssid same netmask and seamless roaming.

I would love to see a tutorial on this config...

I was typing the exact same question but got interrupted Smile

Is separation done just by password?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: