R7800 speed and connection issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Prelude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 15:15    Post subject: R7800 speed and connection issue Reply with quote
Hello,

i am new the dd-wrt world. i just loaded the newest Kong 5/25/19 build to my R7800 as i was having connection issues while on voxel and stock firmware. for some reason my wifi would drop randomly and multiple times a day. i decided to try dd-wrt last night. when use the default setting i am only getting about 100 Mbps down and up. i am paying for 300Mbps. when i compare the R7800 wifi connection with my providers wifi, my providers wifi router is giving me at least 200Mbps. so clearly there is something wrong here. I believe it is the settings.

so last night for about 2 hrs i have been playing with the setting and nothing seems to improve it. i used WIFI analyzer to find an empty channel and changed my setting to that channel 157 extension channel lower. i even try to change it to AC-only network mode but i have used mixed in the past.i also increased TX power to 70. Everything else has been left stock. one of the things i notice is that when i change my channel width to anything other than full 20 or Wide HT40 my 5Ghz signal drops and doesn't comeback. every where i have researched says VHT 80 is where i want it but again no 5GHZ signal shows up. my regulatory domain is CANADA.

if someone could help me i would be grateful. even if you can point me in the right direction that would be awesome. i keep reading this router is a good one but it has been quite a hassle for me. they don't even sell this router in Canada so i got a friend to grab it for me in the US. i am trying to use the search feature and it doesn't come up with much. also the main page for the R7800 is 175pages and i don't have that much time to filter through the that content.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
well... with a risk to be mean, all the info its there no time no fun...or just ask ggl..or look here
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/QCA_wireless_settings

nothing comes easy, need an effort...reading it understanding it...
by the way R7800 is a great gear it fly's...up to 900Mbit ish

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Prelude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
well... with a risk to be mean, all the info its there no time no fun...or just ask ggl..or look here
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/QCA_wireless_settings

nothing comes easy, need an effort...reading it understanding it...
by the way R7800 is a great gear it fly's...up to 900Mbit ish

i don't think you are being mean. it is not that i am not willing to put effort in. i just was wondering if others have had similar problems cause searching through 175 pages on a forum seems like a waste of time. i did go through the Wiki but it doesn't help my issue with 5ghz not being but i will review it again tonight. also what do you mean by "just ask ggl"?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is Status->Wireless saying. There is a list of clients at the bottom.

I use channel 116 UU VHT80

TX Power is standard 27 dbm. To high and it may overload the clients.

You may shorten the ACK Timing, unless you have clients located 2000 meters from the router.
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of all make sure you have full speed on Lan and using the same wifi ch as stock or Voxel.
I guess your problem is site specific coz you can have on close by client up to 500-540 mbs on 2 streams AC with DDWRT  but you have to have VHT80 width.
Try different ch like 36, 100 and so on if empty. Make sure you dont have any other devices not visible by Analyzer. For example  my son Astro headphones using non visible 40 mhz on 155 ch. Or it can be satellite TV wireless receiver and so on. It can be many reasons

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

Thank you everyone, i ended up following the QCA setting and making my own adjust to get the 5GHZ channel working well > 300Mbps, but i am now having problems with my 2.4ghz channel. i am only achieving speeds of about 50Mbps Down and 70 MBPS up. i again followed the QCA setting (https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings) exactly as listed, and i picked a channel that wasn't overloaded but i am still seeing below average speeds. This frequency also has all of my smart home devices (3 switches, Ring Pro, 2 Wyze cams, 1 google home mini, 2 Alexas, Nest and 2 Philips bulbs) 2 chromecasts. i was wondering if that would have a significant effect if i am speed testing the frequency.

thanks for your insight.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok now 4....2,4Ghz just try
NG-mixed
channel 11 + lower HT40
country domain Canada
short GI
Short preamble
disable CTS/RTS protection mode
RTS treshold - disabled
no TurboQAM
U-APSD disabled
Noise immunity - enabled
single user and multi user beamsforming - disabled
airtime fairness - enabled
leave ACK timing to 2000

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Prelude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
NG-mixed
channel 11 + lower HT40
country domain Canada
short GI
Short preamble
RTS treshold - disabled
no TurboQAM
U-APSD disabled
Noise immunity - enabled
leave ACK timing to 2000

i will try these setting tonight thanks,

i know have CTS/RTS protection mode enabled and turbo QAM too. i will check with the rest and report back.

again thanks.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Prelude wrote:
Alozaros wrote:
NG-mixed
channel 11 + lower HT40
country domain Canada
short GI
Short preamble
RTS treshold - disabled
no TurboQAM
U-APSD disabled
Noise immunity - enabled
leave ACK timing to 2000

i will try these setting tonight thanks,

i know have CTS/RTS protection mode enabled and turbo QAM too. i will check with the rest and report back.

again thanks.

If you still are having issues after trying the above, take a peek at my signature below which has explanations/pics on some of the settings not found in the wiki.
Tatsuya really needs to update the QCA wifi wiki, but won't until BS makes some major fixes.

Some of the settings Alozaros suggests will limit MCS connection rates; QAM256 and SU-MIMO in particular. RTS/CTS is a really good idea to leave on, but finding the right RTS threshold can be a challenge for iOS devices. I suggest trying 980, 1024, 1500 and moving up from there (2346/2347 is way too high and will never result in any effect/improvement on collisions). The default, 500, is way too aggressive and needs to be adjusted up to the range I suggest above. Try them in the order I have listed.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
Prelude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok so i adjusted the setting based on Alozaros settings but i am still getting 40 Mbps Down and 50Mbps up with zero packet loss.

i also noticed my 5Ghz signal is experience some packet loss to anywhere for 5.9% to 10% i am not sure if this is normal. it doesn't feel like it. i am still get over 300 Mbps speed on bot up and down so the speed is there but the connect doesn't feel right and i am wondering about packet loss.

i will read through msoengineer signature link and see if i can adjust some setting again to improved 2.4 Ghz signal.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, did you mention what is your client ??
How do you compare the tests...??
It could be a client based issue, or may be this client
this is its max speed...
Did yop measure the speed in various clients, in a different scenarios?
My R7800 does very well and im using only 2,4Gh radio,
but even when it says, 300Mbit it, doesn't mean your client is capable to such a speed, check your clients and drivers...

You wont get 300Mbit on an Iphone, or android phone or tablet just like that...you'd need 2x2 or 3x3 capable device to test and if you do so, you'd need 2 of them to compare..

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Prelude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
i am using android phones a Oneplus 5 and my wife Huawei P20. my wife just mentioned that it is actually worse after i made the changes on to the 2.4ghz signal.

i really want to get this ironed out because we use the chromecasts a lot but they are all on the 2.4ghz frequency.

i am also hoping to get this Packet loss taken care of as well.
Prelude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:46    Post subject: Update Reply with quote
Update

I used msoengineer setting from his signature and the I am still only getting 40Mbps up and down on 2.4ghz.

I check the speed on a oneplus 5 and Huawei p20 android phones and my older Macbook pro and these are the average speeds I am getting. This again seems very low.

After updating to msoengineer setting I did see a decrease in packet loss on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
don't use dynamic 20/40; use HT40 only or HT20 only...that's likely part of the issue. try channel two and extension channel upper if using HT40. Turn off noise immunity.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
Prelude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK I tried to make some changes and my connection is still really inconsistent.
Here are my settings.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: