Possible Failed Flash on WRT54G

Tony Whitman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 18:07    Post subject: Possible Failed Flash on WRT54G Reply with quote
WRT54G hardware version 1.1

Long story short I can't seem to access what I thought was a successfully flashed Linksys WRT54G.

Downloaded the "mega" firmware.

Isolated the router to just the computer and the desktop, connected via LAN.

Attempted to flash and it failed.

Did some more research and found out my hardware only had 4 mb "flash" memory, and the "mega" firmware was 5.something. Figured that's why it failed. Went back to download location, figured out one was "standard", and realized I could get away with flashing to "dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_openvpn.bin"

Downloaded that, isloated the router and tried again. This time it went all the way to 100% and said "Success".

Performed hard factory reset, per instructions.

Now I can't access the router.

It shows as being connected on my computer, all lights are on, everything looks normal, but using "Advanced IP Scanner" tool, I can't find the router in either the 192.168.0.1 -.255 range, or in the 192.168.1.1 - 255 range.

Can't imagine where else it would be.

Power light is on.
WAN light is flashing.
LAN port light is flashing on both the router and the ethernet card of the desktop. I think it's there, and working, only I can't find it.

Help?
Sponsor
Tony Whitman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 19:42    Post subject: Progress... Reply with quote
Posting this so no one wastes time trying to help. I think either the problem was that I had my ethernet card configured for a static, local IP, or I didn't hold the "reset" button down long enough. I changed the ethernet card, IPv4 properties to "Obtain IP Address immediately" and held the reset button down for 20 seconds, instead of the 10 I did the 1st time and was able to access the WRT-DD GUI. So it looks like the flash was successful.

It looks VERY complex. I'll keep poking away and researching. What I'm trying to do is plug the WRT-54G (now with WRT-DD firmware) into a working wireless bridge I have connected to my neighbor's wifi, and see if I can't configure the WRT-54G to be accessed through the bridge via LAN. I can't seem to get them to play together. I can access one, or the other, but not both at the same time. Suspect I have to turn DHCP off o the WRT-54G, which I did but still can't access it.

Also read another post here that said they accessed the newly upgraded WRT-54G via wireless, which I am unable to do, for some reason. I assume the reason why is that I Have the wireless bridge configured with manual IP Addresses for all my devices, and I have a white list set up, which may prevent the WRT-54G from accessing, EVEN though I added the WRT-54G's MAC Address to the white list. I might have to drop the whole white list thing for a while, while I'm troubleshooting.
Tony Whitman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:33    Post subject: Figured it out Reply with quote
I think the problem was that I didn't do the 30/30/30 thing I see posted everywhere. I did more like 10/10/10. Once I completely factory reset the router, it started working normally. Point is that failing to do the 30/30/30 results in buggy behavior.

In case those are reading quickly and do not know what 30/30/30 is:

1) Disconnect all LAN cables.
2) Press and hold the "reset" button while power is ON, for 30 seconds.
3) While continuing to hold the "reset" button, remove power and wait 30 secons.
4) While continuing to hold the "reset button, apply power once again, and wait 30 seconds.

This is the full, recommended "factory reset", described in shorthand as 30/30/30. Very important. Read above.

This thread can be closed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: