Netgear XR450, XR500, XR700 Possibly Now Supported

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
MRxFUZZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 18:58    Post subject: XR500 Keeps Soft Bricking Reply with quote
Can anyone help me with the download for the Netgear XR500 ? I have tried multiple times to try install this firmware but it keeps bricking it. I have to use tftp to install the original firmware to make it work again. Please help ! Thanks !
Sponsor
TehBrad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:40    Post subject: Re: XR500 Keeps Soft Bricking Reply with quote
MRxFUZZ wrote:
Can anyone help me with the download for the Netgear XR500 ? I have tried multiple times to try install this firmware but it keeps bricking it. I have to use tftp to install the original firmware to make it work again. Please help ! Thanks !

I currently have the same issue.
Once I use the factory to dd-wrt image on the firmware page my router doesn't boot properly. I get a flashing orange LED.

I've tried a few of the beta images but no luck so far. Putting the origial image on again restores original functionality.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
MRxFuzz & TehBrad, are you guys grabbing the 38060 build to flash? You should be able to put the router into TFTP mode and flash the factory to dd-wrt IMG file... I would factory reset the stock Netgear firmware first to clear out any gremlins, then perform the TFTP flash of dd-wrt.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/12-20-2018-r38060/netgear-xr500/

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
TehBrad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I have tried that version after I tried the latest one. It seemed to be the one with the most success according to the replies.
I only tried upgrading through the router's firmware upgrade page but not through tftp, I wasn't sure if that method was supported by the router other than its own stock image.

I'll give that a try soon as I get home and update here.

*update*

Same result unfortunately. I loaded up the recommended img file and my router rebooted but the LED goes orange and gets stuck in a boot loop. Every 10 seconds or so the LED will go off and then back to solid orange.
I notice at this time I lose link on my NIC.
I might try a few more builds over the weekend when I have more time.
MRxFUZZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 16:00    Post subject: Still No luck Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
MRxFuzz & TehBrad, are you guys grabbing the 38060 build to flash? You should be able to put the router into TFTP mode and flash the factory to dd-wrt IMG file... I would factory reset the stock Netgear firmware first to clear out any gremlins, then perform the TFTP flash of dd-wrt.

Ya I have tried everything and still no luck installing it onto my XR500. I have probably tried 15 different builds including the on you mentioned and they just brick the router.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 16:08    Post subject: Re: Still No luck Reply with quote
MRxFUZZ wrote:
msoengineer wrote:

Ya I have tried everything and still no luck installing it onto my XR500. I have probably tried 15 different builds including the on you mentioned and they just brick the router.

Seems like something is wrong with the files BS is posting and he needs to make some tweaks.

I suggest PM'ing shauno100 and see if he can advise how he got in touch with BS. My past attempts to PM BS have yet to be replied to... You can always try to PM BS with your issue and see if he replies; though he may ask for your help on sending logs through command level instructions using Telnet or Putty....so be prepared...

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
MRxFUZZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:50    Post subject: Re: Still No luck Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
MRxFUZZ wrote:
msoengineer wrote:

Seems like something is wrong with the files BS is posting and he needs to make some tweaks.

I suggest PM'ing shauno100 and see if he can advise how he got in touch with BS. My past attempts to PM BS have yet to be replied to... You can always try to PM BS with your issue and see if he replies; though he may ask for your help on sending logs through command level instructions using Telnet or Putty....so be prepared...

I have tried contacting BS but never got a response back. Hopefully they find out soon whats going on because I would love to run their firmware on it.
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:33    Post subject: Re: XR500 Keeps Soft Bricking Reply with quote
MRxFUZZ wrote:

I think, you should try to install the very first release of X500 firmware. This might work and then you can update to the latest.

I see the very first build for X500 is:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/12-20-2018-r38060/netgear-xr500/

if this doesn't work then try the one next immediate newer build.

QNAP QSW-1208-8C 12-Port 10GbE Switch
XS712T ProSafe 12-Port 10GbE Switch
3 X R9000 DD-WRT Mesh
iLbsLi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:05    Post subject: Re: XR500 Keeps Soft Bricking Reply with quote
Actually I did that, didn't work, in fact I also flashed the router to it's earliest dumaos version, then flashed to the first release to allegedly support xr500 and it still didn't work.

We need a miracle Rolling Eyes

labo wrote:
MRxFUZZ wrote:

I think, you should try to install the very first release of X500 firmware. This might work and then you can update to the latest.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/12-20-2018-r38060/netgear-xr500/

MRxFUZZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:42    Post subject: Re: XR500 Keeps Soft Bricking Reply with quote
iLbsLi wrote:
Actually I did that, didn't work, in fact I also flashed the router to it's earliest dumaos version, then flashed to the first release to allegedly support xr500 and it still didn't work.

labo wrote:
MRxFUZZ wrote:

iLbsLi, I have tried everything you just mentioned also with no success. I am trying everything, so if somehow I stumble across way to install it, I will let you know.
iLbsLi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:39    Post subject: Re: XR500 Keeps Soft Bricking Reply with quote
thanks dude

MRxFUZZ wrote:
iLbsLi wrote:

labo wrote:
MRxFUZZ wrote:

iLbsLi, I have tried everything you just mentioned also with no success. I am trying everything, so if somehow I stumble across way to install it, I will let you know.
michaeljfig
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guys I found a way that works.

Before you attempt make sure to do factory reset. I had to trick the xr500 firmware to install, read below. I'm not responsible for damages. That is how I managed to successfully reinstall xr500 from ddwrt.

So goto firmware upgrade in router settings, next select the xr500 firmware.

Now when you click upgrade it's going to goto that upgrade successful page. The all white one. Now in that same white page just refresh it or go-to address bar and click go OR if there is an upgrade button there click it. Link should look like 192.168.1.1/upgrade.cgi or similar.

The router will appear to not respond and the power light will flash that Amber color like it was in a boot loop.

Now, use that tftp command to flash xr500 firmware again it will successfully flash. I flashed it in cmd prompt.

That's how I got back to my dumaos firmware and it's working.

Also, surprisingly all default settings like WiFi name and WiFi password we're back to original.

***You might want to do first reset 30-30-30 or whatever.
iLbsLi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
are you talking about bringing the router back to domaos?! Because that’s not our problem here, our problem is not being able to install DDWRT on the router not the other way around!

michaeljfig wrote:
Guys I found a way that works.

Before you attempt make sure to do factory reset. I had to trick the xr500 firmware to install, read below. I'm not responsible for damages. That is how I managed to successfully reinstall xr500 from ddwrt.

So goto firmware upgrade in router settings, next select the xr500 firmware.

Now when you click upgrade it's going to goto that upgrade successful page. The all white one. Now in that same white page just refresh it or go-to address bar and click go OR if there is an upgrade button there click it. Link should look like 192.168.1.1/upgrade.cgi or similar.

The router will appear to not respond and the power light will flash that Amber color like it was in a boot loop.

Now, use that tftp command to flash xr500 firmware again it will successfully flash. I flashed it in cmd prompt.

That's how I got back to my dumaos firmware and it's working.

Also, surprisingly all default settings like WiFi name and WiFi password we're back to original.

***You might want to do first reset 30-30-30 or whatever.
michaeljfig
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh man my bad. However I successfully installed ddwrt. There is a new one from June, you guys try that one? Did the ddwrt one then the web upgrade one. I actually couldn't get back to dumaos. That was a different thread, sorry about that. I would like to add that 5G WiFi is super slow so I went back to dumaos. When I changed to 80 GHz no devices could even see the 5ghz so just throwing that out there.
iLbsLi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 18:02    Post subject: Re: Netgear XR450, XR500, XR700 Possibly Now Supported Reply with quote
Hi,

So are you still you using dd-wrt on the xr-500? and how's the new updates, is everything still working?

shauno100 wrote:
Hi All,

Just fyi to advise that i got in touch with Brainslayer the other day regarding the Netgear XR500 in particular which is identical to the R7800. He has now added support for it as of r38060.

I don't have the router as yet but plan to buy one at some stage.

Just making people aware but please think twice before flashing if you are willing to take the risk as no-one else has tested this yet and Brainslayer himself doesn't physically have the router. Brainslayer was adamant he has determined the flash layout for this router so it should work. See below comments from BS.

"yes. they use the standard netgear firmware format. i analysed this already. i was looking into the sources. its pure netgear source based. they just might glorify it with a new name"

"no. its no big deal. it has just a different firmware layout and the factory firmware is size limited. after i found out this bad thing i just made a smaller takeover firmware. once installed you can flash the full one. thats all"

Anyways just letting everyone know as an FYI but only test if you are willing to sacrifice your XR500 which i'm sure 99.9% won't be. Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: