Need to spoof MAC address, but enabling it seems to break...

Spoofy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 18:56    Post subject: Need to spoof MAC address, but enabling it seems to break... Reply with quote
I need to spoof my MAC address using my dd-wrt router, in order to change my computer's IP, so I googled it and found these instructions as the first result:
https://drewcargill.com/2016/04/12/how-to-spoof-wan-mac-address-in-dd-wrt/
But it seems that if I click "enable" under MAC Clone, and insert a new value at the end like that page says, and hit Save and Apply Now, it breaks my internet connection? Unless there's a step I'm missing? Is it common to have to, for example, reboot or reset the router after a change like this, before the internet works again? If it helps, my ISP is Spectrum, the usual cable modem type setup. Except I use my own dd-wrt router directly connected to the cable modem instead of the Spectrum router, which doesn't have dd-wrt.
Sponsor
d00zah
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reboot the modem. Current WAN IP assignment (from the modem's perspective) is bound to the old MAC. MIGHT need to DHCP release/renew router WAN IP once modem recovers.
Linux 6.1.86 #130 SMP Wed Apr 17 05:48:30 +07 2024 armv7l
Updated from: DD-WRT v3.0-55779 std (04/12/24) via GUI (FF), NO reset
Gateway: SmartDNS, DDNS (FreeDNS), IPv4 DHCP, Static leases, SFE Disabled, QoS Disabled
AP: 2.4GHz NG-Mixed 40MHz, 5GHz AC/N-Mixed 80MHz, WPA2 w/ AES, MAC filtering, Isolated Guest VAP on wlan1, Vanilla FW
Services: USB Storage, NAS, Samba
Storage: Samsung Portable SSD T7 Shield USB 3.2 2TB, /jffs, /opt, /data (ext4)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: